BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2012 8:21 pm  #1

Jubilee

I was just wondering what everyone did for the Jubilee...
Plus, I really wanted to see how a poll worked!!

I hope I haven't missed anything! I wasn't really that imaginative with the options so please say if I've forgotten a biggie!

How did you celebrate?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 5, 2012 3:39 am  #2

Re: Jubilee

Oh hush you British people.
I would have given my first & last born to have been there!
Never mind, we get some 'highlights' on TV tonight.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 7:43 am  #3

You can imagine what I chose... I'm not British. But I can see the point of the celebration. If there was something like this here, I think I would celebrate. Here we have a hard working and very humble King, but Spain is divided about monarchy. I personally don't mind if we have a King or a Republic as long as they do their job in a good way. And Juan Carlos I has always done a good job so... yes, I would celebrate too. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 5, 2012 8:04 am  #4

I can't choose any of the answers.
The monarchy / republic debate rages on and off  in many places & will for a very long time to come. It's all wrapped up in people with short memories; people who have no respect for their roots. It's a sad reflection on this society we live in than respect for authority figures is being replaced with scrutiny. What they don't realise is that trend goes all the way down the pecking line. They want to do that at the very top & then they wonder why down the end of the chain, teachers get no respect from students or police get no respect from the public.  When that happens, they need to remember; they started the crumbling of respect and authority.

*steps off soap box*

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 8:48 am  #5

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 5, 2012 8:49 am  #6

There it is.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 9:27 am  #7

OK, so the Diamond Jubilee concert is starting to screen in 30 minutes here.
How long ago was that on or is this live?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 11:02 am  #8

No, I missed it! I was rehearsing for my Bassoon exam!

June 5, 2012 11:17 am  #9

Well I am watching bits & pieces of it here and I wonder : how come in 27 years has no-one told Grace Jones that "Slave to the Rhythm" is the most boring song on this planet? and it goes on and on and on, omg it is soooooobad!

*regains composure*

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 5, 2012 1:04 pm  #10

We went to friends' house yesterday for a big party. Almost everyone dressed in red, white and blue. There was too much to eat which included mini-Yorkshire puddings with beef, horseradish and a slice of gherkin, Coronation Chicken, a BBQ and desserts including good old-fashioned fruit jelly and a cake that had a Union Jack decoration made from strawberries and blueberries etc. Pimms was available, although sadly I was the driver so...

The TV was on in one room, first of all for the South Africa vs Ireland Rugby match (don't ask! No connection to the jubilee but lots of rugby players at the party) and later the big concert. Everyone joined in, especially with Elton John.

The day before was the amazing Pageant on the Thames which was cry much dampened by the dreadful weather- a cameraman's and sound-man's nightmare. It was blinking freezing.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 5, 2012 2:52 pm  #11

I went to a freind as well! We had some cake and stuff but it rained a lot so...

June 5, 2012 8:02 pm  #12

Congrats to Queen Lizzie for being born into the right family and not dying yet.

Kazza, I respect what you are saying, even though I don't agree with all of it. I have great respect for my roots, they just are not English. Surely we can take a bit from here and a bit from there and come up with our own way of doing things. And the monarchy, and the respect for authority it generates, didn't stop the riots in Britain last year!

I am a Republican (in the anti-monarchy sense, not the American political party sense). Monarchy is based on a person being born into a right family, not through any personal achievements. The Queen may work hard (blah, blah, blah) but we all do, and we don't get to go home to a palace.

I respect a peron who works their way up from nothing to success, e.g. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Nelson Mandela, Barak Obama. I can't stand people who use their family connections and money to become powerful, e.g. Rupert Murdoch, whose father was a wealthy journalist, or Gina Rinehart, mining magnate and the world's richest woman, who inherited her money from her father (mind you, her father Lang Hancock, was a self-made man), both of whom use their money to buy political influence.

Sorry to get all political on you, it's just a subject that I feel passionate about.

Last edited by hepzibah (June 5, 2012 8:03 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 7, 2012 11:51 pm  #13

Amazingly enough, BBC America actually showed a lot of the Jubilee coverage rather than the umpteenth rerun of Top Gear! I watched the barge stuff for a while then went on with my day.

June 8, 2012 5:27 am  #14

hepzibah wrote:

Congrats to Queen Lizzie for being born into the right family and not dying yet.

Kazza, I respect what you are saying, even though I don't agree with all of it. I have great respect for my roots, they just are not English. Surely we can take a bit from here and a bit from there and come up with our own way of doing things. And the monarchy, and the respect for authority it generates, didn't stop the riots in Britain last year!

I am a Republican (in the anti-monarchy sense, not the American political party sense). Monarchy is based on a person being born into a right family, not through any personal achievements. The Queen may work hard (blah, blah, blah) but we all do, and we don't get to go home to a palace.

I respect a peron who works their way up from nothing to success, e.g. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Nelson Mandela, Barak Obama. I can't stand people who use their family connections and money to become powerful, e.g. Rupert Murdoch, whose father was a wealthy journalist, or Gina Rinehart, mining magnate and the world's richest woman, who inherited her money from her father (mind you, her father Lang Hancock, was a self-made man), both of whom use their money to buy political influence.

Sorry to get all political on you, it's just a subject that I feel passionate about.

So by your reasoning, no Royal shall ever be considered 'great' as they have no choice to be born into a family of wealth & position. Frankly I don't think the Royals SEEK power, but but position they naturally acquire some power however by the way the Government sets things up, they really have no power in the running of the country.
They do however have Prestige. And they do have the love of millions of people.

And blaming the Monarchy for the riots is just way off the mark.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 8, 2012 10:55 am  #15

This thread is becoming quite serious!
I think I might run off for a bit and cower under the table! 

June 8, 2012 11:54 am  #16

Nahhhhh don't be such a wimp; it's ok. Just friendly debates here

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 8, 2012 1:20 pm  #17

*crawls out from under table*

OK, if you're sure...

I suck at debating, after 2 minutes I give up and say, Alright, you win if you'll stop disagreeing with everything I say!!

June 8, 2012 1:27 pm  #18

Now where is the fun in that?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 8, 2012 1:29 pm  #19

You see, I don't find fun in disagreeing with people, I'm a pacifist!

(Edit: But you are wrong!)

Last edited by Molly Hooper (June 8, 2012 1:30 pm)

June 9, 2012 1:14 pm  #20

Waves white hankie!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera