BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2023 6:42 pm  #1

Two exciting Andrew Scott productions to anticipate.

Inspired by the 'movies' thread...
Andrew's gay romance All of us strangers is on general cinema release next month, I believe.
Then, for sometime in '24:
The National Theatre have filmed Vanya-
and they are also putting that out to cinemas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2023 8:36 pm  #2

Re: Two exciting Andrew Scott productions to anticipate.

I wasn't aware of either of these. Looks like All of Us Strangers will be released in Canada in December, so I will keep an eye out for that. I will look out for Vanya as well. I saw my first Chekov play, The Seagull, earlier this year and I didn't fully get it, but this still could be interesting.

Clueing for looks.

October 19, 2023 4:53 am  #3

Yeah, Chekov is demanding.
I have only seen The Cherry Orchard, but enjoyed it.
Desperately wanted to see Vanya, but could not justify the £92 ticket price.
Oh and now I am going to put out another post...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 19, 2023 8:08 am  #4

It is so expensive for theatre now!

November 2, 2023 6:00 pm  #5

'All of us strangers' is on UK release, in January...
My local trendy cinema is showing Vanya in February...don't know about anywhere else.

November 3, 2023 12:12 pm  #6

Oh looks like it's on at mine as well!

January 27, 2024 3:01 pm  #7

Don't Panic, I will try to be as spoiler free as I can.
I saw All of us Strangers, last night:
The expected Scott masterclass.
All performances were excellent and the casting made sense to the story.
Beautifully written, shot and edited.
The clever use of genre, allowed a certain amount of objectivity.
There would be triggers for some, but nice memories for others.
Banging soundtrack.

January 27, 2024 10:06 pm  #8

There was a trailer for it when I was at the pictures the other day. It sounds really good, and I appreciate the lack of spoilers!

January 28, 2024 6:39 am  #9

I forgot to say how desperately sad it is!

January 28, 2024 9:12 am  #10

Ah, thanks for the warning. I will make sure I'm in the right frame of mind.

January 28, 2024 9:35 am  #11

I mean, I kind of took it to be a given but...
a bit like Power of the dog-
another interesting film.

January 28, 2024 12:36 pm  #12

Thanks. I just have some IRL stuff going on (who doesn't?), and I think the winter isn't helping, so being a bit careful about what media I consume! Power of the Dog sort of thing would be fine. I'm very interested in the use of genre you mentioned: that very much sounds like my kind of film. Completely off an another course, but I watched Saltburn recently (trying to think if there were any Sherlock alumni there!) and that was a little bit "genre fluid"  :D which I loved!

Last edited by Liberty (January 28, 2024 12:40 pm)

January 28, 2024 12:48 pm  #13

I laugh every time I see that  name...
I was born in Saltburn-by- the sea!

January 29, 2024 8:06 pm  #14

That's funny, besley. Most people I have discussed Saltburn with me didn't like the director's previous film (Promising Young Woman), but I did, so I don't know what to think, whether I'm interested in it or not. I don't have Prime Video at the moment, so for now I'm waiting to see if a DVD or Blu-ray release happens so that I can get it from the library.

I have been meaning to see All of Us Strangers, but it's not playing in any theatre near me at the moment, so it would require a trip to the city. Which is fine, my dad and I have done that a few times before, but it requires some planning. One of my friends who saw it saw it in a multiplex that did not have very good soundproofing and he said during a very quiet moment he could hear a song from Wonka in the next room, which wasn't great and caused him to laugh even though it was inappropriate. So I hope if I see it in the theatre that I will have better luck. I know it's kind of sad, but I've heard good things. I like sad sometimes.

Last edited by Yitzock (January 29, 2024 8:08 pm)

Clueing for looks.

January 29, 2024 8:11 pm  #15

Actually, there was one funny part for me...
obviously a few of us in the cinema were of a similar age!
Andrew Scott's character walks into his old bedroom:
all the posters, I also had on my wall...
he then starts flicking through his old record collection, which was MY collection-and I could hear others in the audience making the same links!

January 29, 2024 9:55 pm  #16

Oh, that sounds fun! That they recreated your teenage room! I wonder if I'll recognise anything from mine!

Funny about the sound in the multiplex. I went to my local cinema (long since closed down) not long after they'd changed it from one big room to three smaller ones. We went to see Lady Chatterley's Lover and during a romantic scene we could hear the Chariots of Fire music playing from the screen in the next room.

I haven't seen Promising Young Women. Saltburn seemed to get mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it and everybody I have spoken to who has seen it says it's a must see film (regardless of whether they liked it or not, I think!).

January 31, 2024 3:52 pm  #17

That would be fun to recognize so many things from your youth in the movie! I know I've seen in a few movies over the years different objects that we have owned ourselves, but never that much in one movie.

I can imagine hearing the music from another movie changing how you felt about that scene in Lady Chatterly's Lover, even if it was unintentional. Haha. I must admit I've heard rumbling from other movies once or twice in the multiplex as well, but never anything that distinctive.

Clueing for looks.

March 23, 2024 10:09 pm  #18

Finally just watched All Of Us Strangers. I see what you mean about the childhood room! And there were lots of other little 80s details ... the attitudes! Excellent cast too.

Board footera