BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2019 5:08 pm  #1

Greetings.

It's been way too long.  Did anyone notice I was gone?  :-)

Got caught up with getting retired and stuff.  
My plans got messed up a bit by the US Federal Government shutdown.

Had not watched any Sherlock in a bit but found myself sucked into ASIP last night and started missing my forum friends.

Hope everyone is doing well.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 11, 2019 5:09 pm  #2

Re: Greetings.

Great to hear from you and I am well jealous of the retirement.
Welcome home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 11, 2019 5:51 pm  #3

Welcome back tonaree! I hope you are enjoying retirement so far.

Clueing for looks.

March 11, 2019 7:46 pm  #4

It's lovely to hear from you, Tonnaree!  Congratulations on your retirement!  I hope you've managed to get it all sorted out.  I am officially retired too now, but still working part-time.  Isn't it great?  I hope you have many long and happy years of retirement!

March 13, 2019 2:58 pm  #5

So far one of the best things about retirement is staying up until 2am and sleeping until 10.  :-)
I've always been a night owl but had to work a day job.  Now I just let my body follow it's natural rhythms.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 14, 2019 7:33 am  #6

That's what a couple of my retired friends have said - they love not setting an alarm!  I'm the opposite of a night owl, so it doesn't make much difference to my sleeping time, but it's still good on the days I know I don't have to wake up.  I have so much more energy working less hours.  My completely retired friends look so much better and healthier! 

March 14, 2019 7:44 am  #7

Oh stop it!
Just hope I last the 5 years I am planning until my own retirement.
Ha!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 14, 2019 4:47 pm  #8

You'll make it BB!!!

I was just lucky I started my good government job at the blushing age of 25.    Got my 31 years in early.

All my friends that have retired also look so much happier.  I understand now.  Can't remember the last time I felt this stress free.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 14, 2019 5:12 pm  #9

I was gonna ask you if that's civil service, but of course that's a Brit thing!
With local gov here, it's 40 years.
I was 21 when I first started, but had breaks for children and other jobs.
I have never had a well paid job...my pension will be crap, especially so as I intend going 5 years early.

March 14, 2019 5:59 pm  #10

40 years for me too, so I haven't got a full pension, due to various things (being in and out, education, part-time working, and really stupidly claiming some of it back in my 20s!).  Hence not being able to retire completely! 

I found the last couple of years went very quickly, BB - seemed like retirement was here before I knew it!

March 14, 2019 6:03 pm  #11

Oh yeah, as I've been in this job 20 years now, I know the next 5 will go quickly...
Brian and I had discussed retiring at 60(3 years time), but when I saw my last pension statement, I thought there was no way I would be able to afford that.
I mean I do get Brian's pension and have savings from his employer(same as mine) pay out...
But one does worry!

December 24, 2019 1:05 pm  #12

Merry Christmas, everyone! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 27, 2019 5:05 pm  #13

Merry Christmas! I hope everyone had a nice holiday.

Clueing for looks.

December 31, 2019 8:43 pm  #14

Hi, everyone.
I enjoyed a marvellous Xmas in Italy, with the family.
Hoping to get down to my parents in Scarborough, on the 2nd.

April 7, 2020 9:03 pm  #15

Just dropping in for a quick hello. I hope you are all safe and well. The current pandemic is probably a difficult time for everyone. Sending my best wishes and good vibes to you all.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

April 7, 2020 9:28 pm  #16

Very difficult.  I hope you are bearing up OK too, Diva.  I've been thinking of the people here.  I know not all of us are the youngest or in the best of health, and even those who are will have relative or friends who may be effected.  Very difficult times indeed.  Good wishes to all. 

April 8, 2020 5:41 am  #17

Hi, everyone.
Just checking in, too.
I thankfully got my daughter home before lockdown: 
we three(including the dog!) are all fine.
Desperately worried about my old, frail parents, who I can't get to in Scarborough...
but they have neighbours watching out for them.
I should actually be in Italy with my Grandson, as I type...don't know when I will get to see the Italian family again.
Also can't wait to get back down to London to see my sister...
she is supposed to be coming here in the Summer when we would see our brother...but don't know if that will happen.

Last edited by besleybean (April 8, 2020 8:33 am)

April 8, 2020 8:10 am  #18

I'm glad you are all safe, BB, and you have your daughter home with you.  I'm worried about my dad too.  Just hoping things are safer now with lockdown.  I'm guessing most of the deaths have been of people who were infected before the lockdown.  Everything on hold at the moment - I think the peak should over by summer, but still not clear what the exit plan is, and how we stop another surge .... the only positive, is that I think they vastly underestimated how much the disease had spread in the UK, which at least means more (?temporary) immunity.  I hope you can all safely meet up again soon.

April 8, 2020 8:37 am  #19

Yes my son and I are both of the same opinion that jollies abroad, may be the last thing they re-introduce!
Actually I am hoping it is a SLOW return to normal, anyway.
Because if they suddenly lift all bans and everybody starts going everywhere and doing everything...
there may be another surge.
I have just worked odd days, in the local primary school hub, so far.
I am expecting to be called in next week, as I haven't been this week so far.
The hub remains open over what would have been our school hol fortnight.

April 8, 2020 11:32 am  #20

I hope you can keep safe at work.  I am working from home at the moment, due to underlying conditions.  I'm just hoping that I'm not expected to go back as soon as they lift restrictions, as my workplace was definitely not safe.  I think you're right that it should be slow, and I think vulnerable people should isolate longer.  Unpopular opinion, but I do feel this has been mismanaged in the UK.  It's so sad.  So many of us affected in various ways. 

Board footera