BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2018 3:34 pm  #1

Avengers: Infinity War

I was invited by my friends to watch the movie last night. I went there without watching a single trailer or knowing what the movie will be exactly about. And I was surprised that I find the result quite amusing and enjoyable, even intense at times, despite it´s usual comic book silliness.

Benedict was perfect in the movie, having surprisingly many scenes (considering the large cast...) Haha and I won´t spoil the movie, but there are things in the last 30 minutes that forced me to gasp out loud.

Here is Benedict during the promo, goofing off with Thanos large glove. Makes me laugh quite a lot after yesterday´s experience, where this exact glove played a sinister role:

Unbelievable, that it´s the same man who acts as stern Sherlock or serious Dr. Strange.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 27, 2018 6:47 am  #2

Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Pretty!

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 27, 2018 6:54 am  #3

Oof.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 27, 2018 9:33 am  #4

Thanks for the heads-up -  Dr. Strange having "surprisingly many scenes" might get me to go to the cinema... I'm assuming it's not necessary to have seen the last "Thor" in order to understand "Infinity War"?

April 27, 2018 10:21 am  #5

Kittyhawk wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up -  Dr. Strange having "surprisingly many scenes" might get me to go to the cinema... I'm assuming it's not necessary to have seen the last "Thor" in order to understand "Infinity War"?

I understood the action quite fine despite not seeing a lot of referenced movies. So it is not neccessary, IMHO.

April 27, 2018 10:44 am  #6

April 27, 2018 5:00 pm  #7

Great pix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 28, 2018 12:08 pm  #8

What do you think - do we need a new thread for people who have seen the film? Or put a warning on this one?
Because I watched it yesterday and would like to talk about the One Big Sherlock Moment I had. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 28, 2018 12:51 pm  #9

Oh that sounds good...I mean the Sherlock thing.
As you may know, I don't give a hoot abut spoilers. But I know some people do.
Incidentally a fan girl told me something about the film which I didn't know and I daren't say to anyone, because I don't know if it's generally known(and I just missed the memo!) or what...

April 28, 2018 2:14 pm  #10

Okay. So please stop reading if you have not seen the film yet:

I am talking about the moment when Strange sits alone, surrounded by coloured light, eyes closed, his head switching back and forth, left and right. (This part reminded me of Sherlock's lab MP scene in THoB). And then Tony Stark asks him what he is doing and he explains that he checked the 14 million possible future outcomes of this situation in his head. (Which is of course again a very Sherlock thing do to.)

I have no idea if it was intentional but I had a very grin on my face. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 28, 2018 2:15 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 28, 2018 7:31 pm  #11

SPOILERS

That was very Sherlock-y moment indeed. Poeople online speculate that it was the most important moment of the movie: Dr Strange saw the only version of the future where their team won eventually and that moment most likely involved Stark. That´s why he gave up the stone to Thanos in the next moment. That aside, the fight between him and Thanos was just epic.

I absolutelly loved the last 20 minutes of this movie or so. Suddenly it stopped to be a comic book spectacle and it became a tragedy of antic proportions. I was surprised a lot, but I relished every second.

April 28, 2018 7:44 pm  #12

Cast goofing off:

April 28, 2018 7:45 pm  #13

Ha.

April 28, 2018 9:28 pm  #14

nakahara wrote:

SPOILERS

That was very Sherlock-y moment indeed. Poeople online speculate that it was the most important moment of the movie: Dr Strange saw the only version of the future where their team won eventually and that moment most likely involved Stark. That´s why he gave up the stone to Thanos in the next moment. That aside, the fight between him and Thanos was just epic.

I absolutelly loved the last 20 minutes of this movie or so. Suddenly it stopped to be a comic book spectacle and it became a tragedy of antic proportions. I was surprised a lot, but I relished every second.

Yes, I agree, it was a key moment of the film and the next part as well. And I got goosebumps when they started to dissolved and disappear. Such a great idea instead. 

April 28, 2018 9:38 pm  #15

SusiGo wrote:

[
Yes, I agree, it was a key moment of the film and the next part as well. And I got goosebumps when they started to dissolved and disappear. Such a great idea instead. 

SPOILERS

Yes and I was impressed how they made every disappearance matter by making them all different. You could feel the individual loss of every person very clearly. Great job.

May 1, 2018 6:11 pm  #16

My reaction was mostly

intense disappointment and fury. How dare they kill off Dr. Strange before we've even had a second  movie centered on him?

Actually, I'm not sure how they want to continue the franchise at all - planet earth with half the population gone doesn't need superheroes, but hardworking people who get the infrastructure going again... And I see no reason at all for Thanos to come back - he completed his mission.

By the way, whereas I was not completely lost without knowledge of the latest Thor (though I think I would have enjoyed Infinity War more if I had), I was very happy to have seen all the Ironman movies and Avengers: Civil War. Having seen Alien 4 also helped ;)

May 1, 2018 6:48 pm  #17

You know that there will be a second part? 

May 1, 2018 6:50 pm  #18

That was what I wasn't sure was a spoiler or not.
But my daughter informed me that it is fairly well known!

May 1, 2018 7:50 pm  #19

General spoiler warning for this post! Both for Infinity War and Spielberg's War of the Worlds

SusiGo wrote:

You know that there will be a second part? 

Obviously I didn't when I wrote my post. I just found out on YouTube that one is planned. However, I also just found out that there are apparently no plans for a second Doctor Strange (https://nation.com.pk/19-Mar-2018/no-plans-for-second-doctor-strange), which I would have vastly preferred over another crowded "let's put in as many superheroes as possible"-movie.

Has anybody read the Marvel Comics and has any idea how they want to continue? There's people speculating about undoing the end of the Infinity War, but the only way I can see is for Thanos to have a change of heart and turn back time. But however they do it (if they should do it), as heartbreaking as it is to have people I've grown attached to die - I generally find it even worse if it turns out that they are alive after all. For me that completely cheapens the tragedy (classic example: Spielberg's War of the Worlds - I always switch it off before the final scene when the family is reunited) and I feel cheated. 

May 1, 2018 8:46 pm  #20

SPOILERS

In the original comic book, all devastation Thanos has brought upon the world was undone when one of the characters stole the glove from him. We´ll see if that is the way they will choose here too.

I  am not too worried about the disappeared heroes. Spider Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, they all have new movies confirmed, although they disappeared in IW. So they must come back somewhere - and that´s why I am not afraid about the fate of Dr. Strange too. 

One character I fear about is Loki. They will really make me angry if they leave him dead, grrrrrr.....

Board footera