BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2017 11:13 pm  #1

Hints of season 5 in TFP?

Sometimes it is good to simply read the subtitles, without being disturbed by the series ;] 
I did it, and I found two meaningful phrases in TFP:

1. - In the beginning - "Well, don't worry, there's a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."
2. - In the end -  "...There is a last refuge for the desperate, the unloved, the persecuted. There is a final court of appeal for everyone. When life gets too strange, too impossible, too frightening, there is always one last hope. When all else fails, there are two men sitting arguing in a scruffy flat..."

There were not so many "the desperate, the unloved, the persecuted" until now in "Sherlock". 
I believe, Mofftiss still hope to continue "Sherlock" some day, and this is the direction, they are going to take (not bad, isn't it?).
When? Not in 2017, and very unlikely in 2018 or 2019. But later, if the leads decide, they luckily have time (read: in this moment of their careers, to come back to the roots won't hurt) - I understand, we can get the next "Christmas Specials". 

Last edited by Naavy (January 26, 2017 7:45 am)

January 26, 2017 7:30 am  #2

Re: Hints of season 5 in TFP?

Interesting idea to speculate about the NEED for series 5. The stress on 221b as a refuge was quite strong in TFP and they might go in that direction with futures episodes. But for there is another fact that seems to call for more - that fact that (at least to me) some important things are missing. 

- We are never told what the nature of the "childish feud" between Sherlock and Mycroft was. They have referred to this from ASiP on but it has never been explained. If Sherlock forgot about Eurus and Victor, why the constant rivalry with Mycroft? Just a normal sibling thing? What about the list and and the file regarding Mummy? 

- On an emotional note: I would really, really wish to have someone care for Sherlock. He has cared for and sacrificed himself for others in all those episodes, he has been tortured and shot and beaten and kicked and not once did anyone say sorry to him. Instead he had to keep apologising over and over again. I know that this hope may be futile, but without this the story feels still incomplete to me. 

- John Watson. By now we know so much about Sherlock and so little about John. He seems to exist in a sort of vacuum: no friends, no family (we ever see), nothing. 

P.S.: They have been telling us for years that Benedict and Martin are too busy. But if all people involved really want to continue, they will find a way. At least for a special. They are free to choose which projects they want to do. So why not do Sherlock - provided they wish to do so?

Last edited by SusiGo (January 26, 2017 7:33 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 26, 2017 7:49 am  #3

I am certain most of us are only too aware there is so much more scope, even with the original ACD stories, Mark has said as much himself.
The team have also hinted that future series could see them going off on their own a bit more, which for me, would possibly have been the most interesting aspect of their work.
My personal theory is this:
we all know the whole Sherlock team get on really well and some of them are personal friends outwith the show, so no problems there.
We also know that Mark and Steven produce the highest quality scripts, so no problem there, either.
We know neither Benedict or Martin need the money, so no issue with the BBC not being able to offer great salaries.
What I do think is a thing(and I don't see it as a problem),is that the two of them want to be involved with many new and different projects to challenge them.
Sadly this may be the sticking point for Sherlockians.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 26, 2017 5:24 pm  #4

Besleybean, no one can say, it is wrong, if the excellent actors (and writers too) want to try something new. They have every right to do it, and I am going to keep my fingers crossed
Nevertheless, I am convinced, they are to feel some moment, they want to do more "Sherlock", and I believe, they think the same. "Sherlock's" fandom may be in shock, since this is the first real ending in the end of the season. But, in fact, this is an extremely open ending. Everything can happen, and I really hope to watch it - only not very soon.

SusiGo wrote:

- On an emotional note: I would really, really wish to have someone care for Sherlock. He has cared for and sacrificed himself for others in all those episodes, he has been tortured and shot and beaten and kicked and not once did anyone say sorry to him. Instead he had to keep apologising over and over again. I know that this hope may be futile, but without this the story feels still incomplete to me.

I agree with everything, you say, but with this part especially! Whatever happens to Sherlock, everybody seems to be sure, he will be OK. Nothing is done to comfort him, or to apologize, and I would like to see it made up, at least for a change.

January 26, 2017 5:28 pm  #5

Er, did you  misunderstand me?  I was saying it was fine for them to do other roles.
We also seem to agree that S4 was a proper ending, but it would be possible for more way in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 26, 2017 5:36 pm  #6

besleybean wrote:

Er, did you  misunderstand me?  I was saying it was fine for them to do other roles.

Why do you think, I desagreed? I simply think, the new challenges do not exclude the come back to "Sherlock" from time to time.

January 26, 2017 5:38 pm  #7

Well possibly it does...otherwise why the ending and all the team talking up it may be the end? They've never done this before, so something must be different this time.

January 26, 2017 5:55 pm  #8

They know, it must take time. Who knows, what can happen? They did not want to take the chance, and maybe to leave the story without any ending, but IMO - just for a case. 

I was happy, to watch the show made like "Sherlock" BBC, and not anything like typical american series, where 20 episodes are made every year, but no one knows, what will happen 10 episodes later, because the script writers have still no idea too. And in the end the series is not properly ended, but rather breaks in the most stupid way :/

Last edited by Naavy (January 26, 2017 5:55 pm)

January 26, 2017 5:56 pm  #9

Yes I am delighted with everything we have had from Team Sherlock.

January 26, 2017 10:23 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

I agree.  On that note, I feel like I haven't seen John actually come to Sherlock's defense in the longest time.  I don't mean in terms of physically saving his life, but just in defending him when other people say or do hurtful things to him.  I would like to see a little more of that from John if there's a 5th series.  It's interesting (in a sad sort of way) that Sherlock's occasions of insensitivity are spotlighted by the other characters in the show, and yet they often seem oblivious to the derision and lack of empathy shown towards him on a fairly regular basis.

January 27, 2017 6:35 am  #11

I am actually genuinely surprised that people are still seeing these things.
I think we have just moved on so far in S 4.
Certainly by the end, I see all harmony and no need for anyone to stick up for Sherlock, as he is not facing any unkindness.

January 27, 2017 1:01 pm  #12

Obviously I am less forgiving person than Sherlock, since in TFP he considers John his best friend, again, and like always... when I still think, John really should at least to apologize (however I already have my theory to explain the lack of regrets too...).
I watched yesterday just the short fragment of TLD (to check something), and I became sad and angry wit John :[ Close to the end, in Baker Street, when Sherlock asks John, is he OK?... It is so obvious (acting!!), he wishes to be asked back! But John does not care. Irene's text (and everything to be deduced) is interesting, the hat is interesting, but what Sherlock needs - not at all! Really, John should make it up as soon, as possible.

January 27, 2017 4:56 pm  #13

And he does!

January 27, 2017 5:14 pm  #14

He simply behaves, like nothing bad happened. If Sherlock is satisfied, OK. But he could also think, he must to accomodate, and to forgive without being asked, because he will get nothing more from John. 

Last edited by Naavy (January 27, 2017 9:57 pm)

January 28, 2017 8:43 am  #15

Oh I think John has a whole lot more to give and I am sure he will.

January 28, 2017 8:56 am  #16

besleybean wrote:

Oh I think John has a whole lot more to give and I am sure he will.

Exactly. And I would love to see that ob TV, not only read about it in Fan fics.

So yes, I also think we need (and will get) S5!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 28, 2017 9:00 am  #17

But if we get S5, do you think they'll seriously focus on such things? Especially 5+ years down the line?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 28, 2017 9:08 am  #18

Depends what things you mean.
Sherlock and John will always be central, in any shape or form.
Incidentally, I hate to rain on anybody's parade...but why should I change a habit of a lifetime?!
I think some of you are aware of my total inability to copy and paste onto this site...
But I recently read an excellent interview with Mark, about a possibly S 5 (or at least another episode), so that part was positive.
But he did speculate on how the show would actually open and his words were: 'with a knock on the door and Sherlock asking John: do you want to come and play?'
So clearly I am correct in my assumption.  John is not living in 221B at the end of TFP, he and Rosie were just visiting.

Last edited by besleybean (January 28, 2017 9:09 am)

January 28, 2017 9:21 am  #19

Of course, at 221b John would also have a door Sherlock could knock on. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 28, 2017 9:24 am  #20

Oh, I see what you mean...but I really don't think that's what Mark meant.

Board footera