BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2017 4:33 pm  #1

Is ugly wallpaper a must?

OK, this won't fit anywhere else that I can see. And it is a bit of fluff on my part.  But has anyone else just loathed as much as I have the wallpaper in their flat?

And, this also seems to be continued in John/Mary's place, and a few others.  

Is this popular in England?  Is it truly a personal taste or is it a current trend?  I am American and I know (and have been told) I have some odd tastes and preferences in fashion (actually, I've been told I have no fashion sense.) And this may be just different country fashion vs. where I live. But that pattern and color seems too odd.  Not black and white, not purple or mauve. Just strange to my eyes. And I can't see the texture, but is it velveteen in the pattern?

1970s disco remembrance?  And they put it up again when they had a clean slate after the bomb went off.

Small pet peeve.  But then again, what would the boys be without their quirks?....and that goes for Mrs. Hudson, too.

Last edited by rlogcabin83 (January 17, 2017 4:34 pm)

January 17, 2017 4:40 pm  #2

Re: Is ugly wallpaper a must?

Ugly wallpaper is paramount.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2017 4:41 pm  #3

But... but... *splutters*
Those wallpapers are iconic! Arwel even has it in his twitter description: It's nearly all about the wallpaper!

They are odd and mismatched (from generations of different tenants, apparently) but they are a huge part of the 221b we know and love.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 17, 2017 4:48 pm  #4

I concede to my betters.

There are obvously those here who know wallpaper better than I.

January 17, 2017 4:50 pm  #5

But you give up too easily!

I can admit that I like some of 221b wallpapers more than others.

-----

January 17, 2017 5:05 pm  #6

But you see, this is why I joined the forum.  To seek, to learn, to become a better decorator.

Please, continue.  Continue as to why I know nothing in this and many other areas.  I grovel in pleading.

January 17, 2017 5:07 pm  #7

rlogcabin83 wrote:

But you see, this is why I joined the forum.  To seek, to learn, to become a better decorator.

Please, continue.  Continue as to why I know nothing in this and many other areas.  I grovel in pleading.

You may be new but so far I"m liking you.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2017 5:10 pm  #8

I hope I haven't offended you! It's hard to tell: you are not using smileys at all
Anyhow, I seem to remember the crew saying that they put a lot of effort into the flat looking old and shabby.
Renovating with the same wallpaper now is not very realistic but it keeps 221b (a character in its own right) in character

-----

January 17, 2017 5:18 pm  #9

ewige wrote:

I hope I haven't offended you! It's hard to tell: you are not using smileys at all
Anyhow, I seem to remember the crew saying that they put a lot of effort into the flat looking old and shabby.
Renovating with the same wallpaper now is not very realistic but it keeps 221b (a character in its own right) in character

My attempts at humor do not require smileys. I have been told that is because I am not funny. ( I crack myself up, though.)

I take self-deprecation to new heights, and for good reason.

And there is no offense taken by anything I read online -- ever, ever, ever.  (If I am ever tempted to feel offense I remind myself that the computer has an off switch.) (But you took all of this in sarcastic fun in which it was intended.)

January 17, 2017 5:27 pm  #10

I love the wallpaper but I think I am now seeing it through biased Sherlock fan eyes and I think if I had seen it before the show I can't imagine I would have said "oh that would look lovely in the living room". 

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

Board footera