BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2017 6:42 am  #1

Still unexplained secrets?

Were we made to believe, that we know already everything about Sherlock's past? Me - yes. 
But there is at least one unexplained detail left, and it is pretty new, from TLD:

Close to the ending of the episode:
JOHN: Happy birthday.
SHERLOCK: Thank you, John. That’s ... very kind of you.
JOHN: Never knew when your birthday was.
SHERLOCK (quietly): Well, now you do. (for a while looks much sadder, than before)

I expected to be told during TFP, how in the past some sad incident did happened - in little Sherlock's birthday, most likely involving (nonexistent) dog Redbeard . But no one mentioned about Sherlock's, or anyone's, birthday.
I doubt, it could be just a form of Sherlock's vanity. Than why was he keeping for years an information like that in secrecy, and why this reminiscence caused such sadness?

Do you have a theories, or remember another unexplained matters in "Sherlock"?

January 17, 2017 7:25 am  #2

Re: Still unexplained secrets?

My reading on this is all about Sherlock's reply of "well, now you do". That is a pretty sarcastic comment, and I took it as such in this context. It is super surprising that John doesn't know after all this time, funerals and weddings when Sherlock's actual day of birth is, and given that Sherlock never freely offers anything about himself without being prompted I don't think he deliberately hid it. A lot of people, especially as we get older, don't bother to learn my birthday including really close friends, and we don't really want to celebrate them either haha. The celebration of it is kind of reserved for a social occasion in our youth, so from experience something tells me this scene was written for Sherlock to be a bit unwanting of the attention, and then John changed his plans to include Molly and Sherlock in the outing for cake  :D  

January 17, 2017 7:28 am  #3

My only one is: Who did upset Mummy then, as referred to as the end of SIP?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2017 7:38 am  #4

Why was Sherlock sad when John found out about his birthday? As I take it Sherlock desperatly wanted John to stay, but not because he felt he had to (make sure he didn't take drugs), but because he wanted to spend more time with Sherlock as a friend. I think Sherlock had hoped he could make John stay with him for another twenty minutes without him feeling like he had to, and when John found about his birthday he realized that now, if John stayed, it again wouldn't be his free will but just because of a social convention.

Last edited by Kae Em (January 17, 2017 7:39 am)

January 17, 2017 7:58 am  #5

besleybean wrote:

My only one is: Who did upset Mummy then, as referred to as the end of SIP?

I do nor remember... There was something like that, surely, but I remember no details  But she is likely the easy person to become a little bit upset, isn't she?

Kae Em, WhoIWantToBe - well, in Poland, not the birthdays, but the name days are most celebrated, and we do not need to be concerned about the numbers ;p But believe me, I understand, what you mean about birthdays.
Still, there is the difference between "to not celebrate", and "to keep the date in secret". If Sherlock's wish was to keep John longer in Baker Street, to say him about the birthday could be the simplest way. But they felt still not really comfortable together. And when they met, he was about 32-33, it is not so much, especially for a man.

Last edited by Naavy (January 17, 2017 12:29 pm)

January 17, 2017 8:27 am  #6

It is not unexplained secret as I do not think he was sad  for anything concerning birthday. More he did not want  to speak about Irene. Now you know it (that we are texting form time to time).

But we still do not know what was in the John's letter Sherlock received form Molly. 

January 17, 2017 9:28 am  #7

Yes, what was in that letter?

Also, what are Sherlock´s reoccuring dreams Ella mentions in TST?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 17, 2017 9:32 am  #8

nakahara wrote:

Y

Also, what are Sherlock´s reoccuring dreams Ella mentions in TST?

Was not it only question if he had any? She expected it as a terapist, expected him to speak about it but he wanted something else from her.

January 17, 2017 9:53 am  #9

I think the point was John guesses that the text is from Irene and why (it's his birthday) - Sherlock is trying to find excuses about why he would get a text from Irene as he doesn't want to talk about it at that point - John surprises him by letting the fact that it's Irene go, and going a step further by deducing the birthday.   It's kind of John to say that, I think, rather than press Sherlock on Irene, and Sherlock recognises it.   And later they do get round to addressing Irene, and their shared temptations and humanity.

January 17, 2017 1:54 pm  #10

I still don't understand how Euros managed to put Moriarty's face on EVERY SCREEN IN THE COUNTRY. Like, really? You won't explain that at all? No secret radio hacking? No network tower takeover? How the hell did she do it?

January 17, 2017 2:11 pm  #11

meowraahsan wrote:

I still don't understand how Euros managed to put Moriarty's face on EVERY SCREEN IN THE COUNTRY. Like, really? You won't explain that at all? No secret radio hacking? No network tower takeover? How the hell did she do it?

"Did you know his brother is a station manager? I think he's jealous".

Station, in this case, might not be a railway station as it was mentioned in the books but rather a television station or radio station. Jimmy that up a little and it could well be access to the emergency broadcast system which would override all other signals.

Just conjecture but Mofftiss do like to play on meanings with their stories.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

January 17, 2017 2:38 pm  #12

One unanswered question about their childhood:

Mycroft once said something like, we thought you were stupid until we met other children.

Besides the fact that it does not make much sense regarding Victor, does that mean they did not go to school?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 17, 2017 2:49 pm  #13

Schmiezi wrote:

One unanswered question about their childhood:

Mycroft once said something like, we thought you were stupid until we met other children.

Besides the fact that it does not make much sense regarding Victor, does that mean they did not go to school?

One Victor is not  a representative sample ,  they might have had home teachers or mother was teaching them, it was something in HLV like she stopped  with science for children. 

January 17, 2017 3:20 pm  #14

m0r1arty wrote:

meowraahsan wrote:

"Did you know his brother is a station manager? I think he's jealous".

Station, in this case, might not be a railway station as it was mentioned in the books but rather a television station or radio station. Jimmy that up a little and it could well be access to the emergency broadcast system which would override all other signals.

Just conjecture but Mofftiss do like to play on meanings with their stories.

-m0r

Excellent idea!   Also though, I think in the world of film and television we are just suppose to accept that Master Criminals are able to do amazing things.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2017 4:28 pm  #15

I'm still dying to know what was in the letter Molly gave to Sherlock from John.

January 17, 2017 5:47 pm  #16

I apologise for being so shallow, but I just loved Jim pretending to be a train driver!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2017 8:36 pm  #17

What was the fridge room in T6T? I have not noticed any explanatinon so  the only idea that came across mind is:

It is Mycroft's fridge. He is on diet all the time. As an analogy to a person, that wants to reduce number of cigarets so hides them and makes less accessible, he has his fridge somewhere in cellar, far from his living room so that he thinks twice before he goes there to eat something.

It is not a perfect theory but do you have better?  

January 17, 2017 9:03 pm  #18

besleybean wrote:

I apologise for being so shallow, but I just loved Jim pretending to be a train driver!

Choo-choo! 

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 17, 2017 9:05 pm  #19

You made me laugh, just reading that!

January 22, 2017 11:07 pm  #20

Kiara_Katsura wrote:

I'm still dying to know what was in the letter Molly gave to Sherlock from John.

I hope to never know, what was inside. Surely very painful message :<

Preceja wrote:

What was the fridge room in T6T? I have not noticed any explanation so  the only idea that came across mind is:

It is Mycroft's fridge. He is on diet all the time. As an analogy to a person, that wants to reduce number of cigarets so hides them and makes less accessible, he has his fridge somewhere in cellar, far from his living room so that he thinks twice before he goes there to eat something.

It is not a perfect theory but do you have better?  

I like it :D
But then: why does he keep all the menu flyers on the fridge door (and do not uses them?), and some reminders (like "call Sherrinford") too? He most likely rarely comes to the cellar.

Last edited by Naavy (January 22, 2017 11:45 pm)

Board footera