BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2017 4:32 am  #1

Let's talk Mirrors...

Hello fellow Sherlock fans, long time lurker, first time poster...I couldn't resist after that episode.

What's your take on the mirror "theme" from TST? It's apparent that we the viewer were intended to pick up on it, but I'm not sure what it means. I haven't rewatched the episode yet, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the word "AMMO" being written on the screen briefly as "OMMA", or how it would appear if it were being viewed in (not through, but in) the mirror to Sherlock's left when he was talking with Mycroft.

Considering we know that nothing in this great show is accidental, there has to be something more to the mirrors. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Jabez (January 2, 2017 4:46 am)

January 2, 2017 11:30 am  #2

Re: Let's talk Mirrors...

Omma is the informal word for mother in Korean (엄마). I remember something Korea was mentioned earlier in the episode. Maybe important?

January 2, 2017 12:36 pm  #3

I've noticed many smallish mirrors featuring all the time and all the mirrored (while still folded) notes. These are two different production steps (camera work and post production) so it's not just one person being fancyful, right? Maybe it's an indication that we don't see the story correctly yet, just a mirrored image of it that mixes what's right and what's left, what's up and what's down.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 2, 2017 12:39 pm  #4

Many of the characters mirror each other...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2017 1:57 pm  #5

Have been quietly reading everyone else's thoughts in the lead up to yesterday's episode, however I've been spurred to create an account to contribute the following observation from my second viewing of the episode which I haven't yet seen posted - the buffering symbol for Mary's posthumous recorded message also appears within the mirror of 221b as well as on the screen from our perspective.

Now I couldn't tell you what the significance of that is, other than feeding the overall mirror thread, but hopefully that gives something else to consider when speculating about the remaining two episodes...

Last edited by lewis97 (January 2, 2017 2:03 pm)

January 2, 2017 11:22 pm  #6

I too noticed the continuous theme of mirrors and reflection and am curious as to the meaning. Sherlock filming has always used reflection for some creative shots, but this was overly prevalent with some sort of mirror or reflection in every single scene.

I almost feel like they could be trying to reach deeper into the characters true self, a self realization. I think the playful repeat of the line, "You see but you don't understand," plays a bigger role in the plot than just a gag scene.

Sherlock finally realizes that there are consequences to his arrogance that ultimately led to the death of a dear friend. He's always been able to sweep in, save his friends and outwit the bad guys in the past, but lately he's been off his game since he doesn't understand human emotions and why people do what they do. We see him looking for help in a therapy session with a giant window in the background, full of light shining in.

John sees in his reflection his true self, not the perfect man and loyal friend others see. That's why I think we see Exx relected in the airplane window on the way back to London.

I think Mary knew more than John thought, maybe even about Exx. So then the question is who is Sherlock suppose to save John from? Himself? Exx? In my opinion she knew that Sherlock is the ONLY person that can save John, hence why she jumped in front of the bullet. She was always willing to sacrifice herself for John. I think she knew that her previous lies and deceptions broke the trust in their relationship so she could never save John, especially if the threat is from himself. One thing is for sure... It's going to be hard for Sherlock to save John without his trust, which was destroyed in the broken vow. Maybe that is why he will have to go to Hell?

It looks like in the next episode that things must be at least somewhat repaired since we see John and Sherlock working together, but Sherlock really seems to be losing it.

Can't wait to have more revealed next week!! Sherlock never disappoints! :D

Love hearing everyone's insights!

BRAINY IS THE NEW SEXY

January 3, 2017 12:01 am  #7

I think that TST to some extent mirrors HLV.

In both stories we are at first led to believe that the main focus of the story is an exciting case and the story unfolds in the way that seemingly confirms this.

Then in the middle we have a shocking personal revelation (one about Mary, one about a hidden USB) that ends with a shot by an AGRA member (one to Sherlock´s chest, one to the light off-switch, fortunatelly).

And this shot changes everything to a story about Mary´s past and its repercussions. Both stories end with a sacrifice - in HLV, Sherlock sacrificed his life for Mary and John, in TST, Mary repaid the debt and sacrificed herself for Sherlock.

The mirror reached the full circle and is now complete.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2017 8:26 am  #8

Cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera