BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 19, 2016 11:01 am  #1

Middle Earth (Tolkien biopic)

This seems like a huge rumour to me, but since it's out there: Apparently Benedict and David Tennant are rumoured to be in the running for the lead role in the biopic about JRR Tolkien, "Middle Earth". I have doubts, since it says in this article that in the film Tolkien will be 22 years old. I mean, especially Benedict is known for his ability to look much younger than he really is... but this much younger...?

http://www.movienewsguide.com/jrr-tolkien-biopic-middle-earth-director-james-strong-young-tolkien/310091

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 19, 2016 11:07 am  #2

Re: Middle Earth (Tolkien biopic)

This sounds intriguing but I agree with you, the age could be a problem. Although Benedict and David Tennant still would be a more probably choice than Ian McKellen, much as I love him. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 19, 2016 11:14 am  #3

Two years ago The Hollywood Reporter suggested that if there was ever going to be a biopic about Tolkien's life, Benedict would be perfect for the lead role.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/5-benedict-cumberbatch-biopics-dont-752864
Maybe someone extrapolated the idea from this article?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 19, 2016 11:16 am  #4

Very true, Susi!
And apart from the age problem, I'm not sure who of the two I'd prefer in the role... it says in the article that they both look a bit like young Tolkien, but it's not easy to find any pictures of young Tolkien on the internet...

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 19, 2016 11:17 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 19, 2016 11:20 am  #5

How about this one?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 19, 2016 11:26 am  #6

So does he look more like Benedict or more like David?
You know what, I'm seeing Tom Hiddleston there.

November 19, 2016 11:48 am  #7

I can see a resemblance to Benedict or Tom, not so much David. Tolkien looks older than 22 in that photo though. I was thinking Alex Lawther would be about the right age, but then I thought of Matthew Beard who I think matches Tolkien's look better.

Last edited by ukaunz (November 19, 2016 12:07 pm)

November 21, 2016 3:31 am  #8

Wouldn't it be something if Martin Freeman were to end up playing a supporting role?  I mean, they've teamed up in "Sherlock", and they ended up both having roles in The Hobbit trilogy, so why not give them both roles in this Tolkien biopic? =)

November 21, 2016 9:49 am  #9

SolarSystem wrote:

So does he look more like Benedict or more like David?
You know what, I'm seeing Tom Hiddleston there.

Yes, Hiddles was my first thought as well as I saw the picture. A bit of Benedict... but no, I can't see David...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera