BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2016 6:46 am  #1

Let's play deductions

So, I found this note - imgur.com/a/RHUQs - in the copy of Sherlock Chronicles I borrowed from my local library. Having been lured here, how could any Sherlock fan resist making some deductions about the note's author?

I know it's from someone in Canberra, Australia, because - obviously - that's the same library network I'm part of. 

It's a woman, I think, from the handwriting, and the promise of pictures of Benedict and Martin. I'll hazard a guess (sorry, deduce!) that she's 30+ years, because there's something a bit reserved or mature about the invitation to "discuss". It's not the kind of invitation I think a younger female fan would make to a fellow fan. Also, she's written out the "www". That's the kind of thing I would do and I'm in my late 30s. I don't think younger people would write that in a web address these days. I don't think they'd even write the address. Just the site name, maybe?

She has borrowed this book from the library, meaning she hasn't bought it. It's an expensive book, so she hasn't wanted to stump up the money, but she's obviously a dedicated fan. Not obsessive enough to own all the merchandise, so maybe not the more nerdy (no insult!) Dr Who/Sherlock kind of fans you might see on Reddit. She wants to connect with people, though, and connecting through this forum is obviously not enough. She wants to meet local fans. It can be a bit isolating being Australian on the internet sometimes (time zones etc), and Canberra is a pretty isolating town (largely dispersed, itinerant population). 

She is creative. A thinker. She came up with this idea as a way of meeting fellow fans. It's a personal connection - she's reaching out to a stranger in her town - but she's made it risk-free by directing them to a forum rather than to, say, her contact details. 

She knows her target market. When I went to borrow this book from the library, it was already out (Tuggeranong library, so maybe that's her neighbourhood). "Huh", I thought. "I wonder who else in this town wants to borrow that book."

Any other ideas? Or just an answer to who is behind the Mysterious Case of the Post-It Note? Whoever you are, thank you for making the experience of reading the Sherlock Chronicles even more entertaining!

September 8, 2016 7:10 am  #2

Re: Let's play deductions

Oh, what an amazing story. I have no idea who this might be but what she writes is true. So welcome to you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2016 11:12 am  #3

Welcome!
I hope the secret messenger will reveal herself

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

September 8, 2016 11:25 am  #4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 8, 2016 1:07 pm  #5

Aw, you two!!! How lovely!!
Warm welcome, Jim_from _IT. You've found yourself a nice place here, have fun!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 8, 2016 4:55 pm  #6

Amazing, so happy for both of you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2016 5:42 pm  #7

I'm totally fangirling here, guys.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

September 8, 2016 7:11 pm  #8

No, really??? What a great story!

Welcome to the forum, jim!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 8, 2016 10:16 pm  #9

It's all true

I must have put that note in the book at least a year ago...

I'm still amazed at the things Jim from IT got right:
- Yes, I'm from Canberra, and I do actually live in the Tuggeranong district.
- I'm a 39 year old woman, and a bit reserved.
- I remember consciously writing the "www" and ".com" thinking that it might not be obvious I was talking about a website otherwise.
- If I was younger I might have written "come squee with us"
- I didn't know if I wanted to spend that much money on the Chronicles when it came out, so I thought I'd put in a purchase request to the library and hoped they'd get it. That way I could have a good look at it and decide if I wanted to buy it for myself. I was very tempted but decided that I'm happy borrowing the book from the library occasionally. You're correct in deducing that I don't buy all the merchandise, although I have bought a few things that I think are worthwhile, such as all the DVDs, a Sherlock Cluedo game that I play with my kids, and a copy of some of ACD's stories with BBC's Sherlock and John on the cover and Stephen and Mark's introductions (as shown above).
- I'm not quite nerdy enough to be on Reddit, but I did start knitting a Doctor Who scarf recently
- I do feel isolated as a fan in Canberra and kind of wish there was more of us Sherlock fans around, so we could maybe one day do meet ups...
- I consider myself to be fairly creative, and I guess I'm a thinker although I'm not as clever as so many of the amazing people in this fandom!
- It's an unusual way of making contact with other fans, but I got the idea of putting a note in the book from Bookcrossing, which I used to do regularly (decades ago).
- I definitely wouldn't put my personal contact details out there, but I'm happy to get to know people here on the forum.
- I don't know if it was me who had the book when you requested it, I know I first borrowed it in March 2015 but I can't remember the second time I borrowed it (it wasn't recently though).

I really am impressed that you worked all that out from my little note! I have to admit I'm unable to deduce anything about you, but I hope you'll stick around now that you've found our community. It's a great place

Here's the pic of the note, for those who haven't seen it yet

Last edited by ukaunz (September 9, 2016 1:14 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 9, 2016 3:16 am  #10

Well, that was very satisfying! I think I shall retire from deductions now with my perfect record (one from one).

Very pleased to meet you, ukaunz, and everyone else too. I can't believe that note stayed in the book for a year without anyone else pursuing it. I'm obviously much nosier than the other library card-carrying Sherlock fans of Canberra.

As for me, I would be impressed if you managed to deduce anything about me based on the very limited data available to you, but I will say, as we all know with Harry, names can be deceiving. 

Thank you again for a most distracting exercise!

September 9, 2016 4:46 am  #11

jim_from_IT wrote:

Well, that was very satisfying! I think I shall retire from deductions now with my perfect record (one from one).

Very pleased to meet you, ukaunz, and everyone else too. I can't believe that note stayed in the book for a year without anyone else pursuing it. I'm obviously much nosier than the other library card-carrying Sherlock fans of Canberra.

As for me, I would be impressed if you managed to deduce anything about me based on the very limited data available to you, but I will say, as we all know with Harry, names can be deceiving. 

Thank you again for a most distracting exercise!

That was quite fun, wasn't it? Thank you

From that little clue, I can only hazard a guess that you are female, and from your chosen username I might presume that Moriarty/Andrew Scott is your favourite. How'd I do?

September 9, 2016 6:06 am  #12

Yes, female. Heterosexual female, which is a shame because our unlikely yet fated meeting has all the makings of a rom-com plot!

But no, not a Moriarty fan in particular. Moriarty revealing himself at the pool just came to mind when choosing my username because my one year-old daughter says "Hiiii" exactly like him in that scene. My husband and I often entertain ourselves by replying to her, "I gave you my number, I thought you'd call". 

So female, kids, late 30s, Canberra. Looks like we're in a pretty similar boat as far as strangers connected by a Post-It note go!

September 9, 2016 6:51 am  #13

Ha! Yes, very "You've Got Mail" indeed. Pity you're a married woman, I've been thinking about trading my husband in for a proper Sherlock fan who can quote the show at me (jokes!)

That's a cute story about your daughter. My kids are pretty good at humouring me with my Sherlock references, and once my daughter (currently 9 years old) chewed "I O U" into her apple; I was so proud

September 13, 2016 5:55 pm  #14

Oh, you guys! This is a great story!  I'm learning so much about this fandom already.  Had no idea there were books, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  Who or what is "ACD"? What are the Chronicles? I also shouldn't be surprised that there is apparently a real "Cluedo" game.  It sounds like a great Christmas present!  (googling all of this shortly) Thanks for a fun moment in my day!

September 13, 2016 5:58 pm  #15

I loved my Sherlock Cluedo...when I knew where in the house it was!
You do need to buy The Chronicles, essential, I would say.
Arthur Conan Doyle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 13, 2016 6:06 pm  #16

Duh! ACD= Arthur Conan Doyle.  I should be kicked off this forum for demonstrating an appalling lack of deducting skills!   My imagination got the best of me, and I thought they were perhaps books written by fans or other authors. Do such things exist?  (Public Library, here I come!) Don't evict me for asking: The Chronicles are the books by ACD?

September 13, 2016 6:09 pm  #17

No, The Chronicles accompanies the BBC series: it's by Steve Tribe and is a BBC Book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 13, 2016 6:16 pm  #18

Thanks, besleybean!  Just ordered it on Amazon! 
I'll get up to speed eventually!

September 13, 2016 6:17 pm  #19

Well we're all behind now, since TAB!

September 13, 2016 6:18 pm  #20

It's good to see a knitter on here, too, ukaunz!  Is there any fun Sherlockian knitting to be done? Outlander is a source of fabulous inspiration!

Board footera