BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2016 1:24 pm  #1

Forum Survey - Relationships

Hi!  Some of you may recall a conversation a few weeks ago where I said I thought it would be interesting to do some gender and sexuality surveys here in our forum. So I thought, why not.  Not wanting to get into anyone's business, all answers are anonymous, but I am interested in the make up of our little community here.

Please feel free to comment on results. 

Now - Relationship status

What sort of relationship are you currently in?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 12, 2016 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Forum Survey - Relationships

I just realised I answered all these while I was not logged in, oops. Anyway, I clicked "married".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 12, 2016 2:12 pm  #3

I always forget how many people on this forum are married.  I am single.

Clueing for looks.

July 12, 2016 2:16 pm  #4

In a monogamous relationship... well, long distance. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 12, 2016 2:23 pm  #5

Monogamous live-in relationship for 12 year this October. On internation/English-speaking forums I just call him "hubbie", because it's simpler. We're not married, but I don't feel comfortable nearing my fourties and calling my partner through 12 years for "boyfriend". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 12, 2016 2:25 pm  #6

That is understandable, Vhanja! It sounds like you have surpassed that term.

Last edited by Yitzock (July 12, 2016 2:26 pm)

Clueing for looks.

July 12, 2016 2:28 pm  #7

Been with hubby since fall of 2000 and married since 2002.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep him.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 12, 2016 2:36 pm  #8

We're a month short of 2 years together 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 12, 2016 3:13 pm  #9

Married nearly 30 years...my poor hubby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 12, 2016 5:13 pm  #10

Vhanja wrote:

Monogamous live-in relationship for 12 year this October. On internation/English-speaking forums I just call him "hubbie", because it's simpler. We're not married, but I don't feel comfortable nearing my fourties and calling my partner through 12 years for "boyfriend". 

Ha ha!  I know, it feels like another word is needed as we get older!  There's "partner" of course, if that applies.    But for somebody you are dating, there isn't really a word.  I have heard "man friend", but it sounds comical to me!

July 12, 2016 5:16 pm  #11

Yeah that could just sound like a male friend to me, you know: Sherlock and John are man friends...well actually no it wouldn't work so much for me there, would have to be opposite sex.
Sherlock is Mary's man friend.
I think I would tend to use partner, unless people think you are business partners...but then I would specify business partners.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 12, 2016 8:16 pm  #12

I suppose "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" might not seem mature enough for some. What about datemate? Probably also...Life partner sounds a bit dramatic, though I think I've heard it before.

Clueing for looks.

July 12, 2016 8:18 pm  #13

It's quite nice...'life partner'.

July 12, 2016 9:03 pm  #14

Vhanja wrote:

You are right sounds like teenagers.

In German we have the problem that boyfriend = Freund but Freund means friend as well. And Lebensgefährte (lit. life companion/life partner) sounds stiff and bureaucratic and pretty unsexy.
I know a lot of people who say mein Mann although they aren't married, it's simpler.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 12, 2016 9:06 pm  #15

And at the end of the day, a marriage license isn't necessary.

July 12, 2016 9:39 pm  #16

besleybean wrote:

And at the end of the day, a marriage license isn't necessary.

That's up to the individual people really.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 12, 2016 9:41 pm  #17

Well obviously, but it's no guarantee of a superior relationship.

July 12, 2016 11:11 pm  #18

Hence, it's not necessary, though still an option.

Last edited by Yitzock (July 12, 2016 11:11 pm)

Clueing for looks.

July 13, 2016 1:20 am  #19

Some people are happier being married some are by not... I mainly support people doing what makes them happy.

I think I'd like to marry... but that's the deprived romanticist in me. Growing up with a single mum and all that... and I mainly see a wedding as a celebration if love...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

July 13, 2016 5:07 am  #20

Together with the same man since 1994, married since 2002.

Marrying was always important for me, but right now I feel like buying a house and moving away together is a much big get step than getting that marriage licence. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera