BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2012 12:33 pm  #1

Psychic Lies and Mental Spies - Deduction, Mentalism, Memory...

Greetings friends!

I saw this post concerning learning Sherlockian & Mental techniques and methods. I've spent my life not only mastering said methods, they are my profession. Before I continue, a little bit about myself:

For the past 10 years, Joe Riggs has been dazzling audiences with his own unique style of cutting edge, mind-altering, psychological entertainment. In fact, he has staked out his own space: The World of Joe Riggs. At only thirty-three years old, Joe is already an internationally acclaimed Mentalist, Hypnotist, Lecturer, and Consultant; currently based in the West Palm Beach area. Joe’s singularly exclusive brand of Mentalism entails his adept use of: Advanced Deduction, Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP), suggestion, as well as his highly developed mental acuity and eidetic [ahy-det-ik] memory. Having mastered the combination of these and a plethora of other higher-order thinking skills, Joe possesses an absolutely uncanny skillset of deductive, as well as intuitive, powers. To say this riveting performer is unique would be a drastic understatement. Despite his noble humility, he truly appears to be omniscient. Then again, that is his job. (From: TheWorldOfJoeRiggs.com

I still can't read that without thinking "no, shut up, no, seriously." But I digress. There are a million people that post articles & teachings full of 'fluff' and 'false answers' on the net. My point with the above quote was to hopefully let you know, that I'm not one of them. ;-)

So, if you're really interesting in learning some heavy things; I post articles and lessons on these subjects on my blog at www.TheWorldOfJoeRiggs.com/blog daily. Everything from Mentalism, Deduction, Observation, The Memory Palace etc...  While I am not here to advertise anything, this topic is very relevant to what I teach and publish daily.

I hope these tools sharpen your deductive & mental prowess. Enjoy...

May 15, 2012 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Psychic Lies and Mental Spies - Deduction, Mentalism, Memory...

Joe,

Magic is a difficult craft to find success within - many of the greats would appear to have already been done. However, the difference between playing with people for entertainment and professing to have skills akin to Sherlock are the 'moral' sides of the role-play coin as well you know.

The fact that you bought therealsherlock.com this year (On the 18th of April no less) suggests that you are hoping to exploit the massive fanbase - not necessarily a bad thing if done properly however scrutiny is paramount to integrity and I do love a good scrutinising.

Firstly I'm not from the States, immune to Derren Brown, 'sceptical', and so your NLP filled 'description' comes off as cheap - it certainly doesn't come off as intelligent - perhaps freshen it up a bit and lay off on the doublespeak. The masses might be idiots however the trendsetters seem to indicate growth in overall intelligence - treat them as equals, for starters, at least.

Next up is the Sherlock fan spread. We've people here from all corners of the world, many using English as a second language. Most of the linguistic techniques which impress North Americans will be lost on them - cultural nuances are the cornerstone of control and whilst Florida gets many visitors from across the world annually - they aren't there to read up on Pyrrhonism or Sartre; know you audience.  Psychics, spiritualists and cheerleaders may have been your bread and butter before but critical thinking, tech savvy networkers make up this audience - one mistake here and it becomes viral and never goes away.

Lastly is know your place. Sherlock is played by an actor (Fake) in a world where he can do no wrong. You are a magician (Fake) in a world where you can only control so many parameters. Overstating your abilities and perhaps having others damage themselves due to their own naivety is a part of your responsibility due to the role you are undertaking. Fanatics sometimes closely resemble lunatics; don't be a cult leader and know where to draw the line.

That said I wish you the very best of luck with it all. Sharing mental techniques will not bar you from sharing a pot of tea with me at the clubhouse on Stephenson Way and I think you are about due a re-imagining of your image anyway.

For everyone else, here's a little of Joe's magic at work:

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 15, 2012 4:03 pm  #3

Well thank you for that long, albeit horrendously inaccurate judgement of myself and my work.

I have only ten things to say to this. I do not have time to engage in any kind of thread war, I have ten things to say, period.

I am not a magician. Although I am adept at the art. As seen in certain parts of the above video. Nothing I teach, is magic. When having fun shooting videos I don't mind throwing in some fun visual things. But my work as a Mentalist and consultant, and the things I teach do not involve, mention nor incorporate magic.

2. The 'Sherlock' reference has been attached to 'my style' of what I do, for many, many years. I have plenty of newspaper articles and clippings dating far back before 'Sherlock' had this sudden surge of popularity. I am sorry to disrupt your theory.

3. The acquiring of the domain name is for use on a special project, set for television. For now of course it rests on my site. As do all my domains.

4. Every single Mentalism and Mind technique I share on my blog, is workable in the REAL world.

5. I write often of my skepticism of Neuro Linguistic Programming. However I do adore a few of the more useful techniques, and those I use to great success, and share.

6. I state clearly, that these are techniques that I have used personally for many, many years. There is nothing taught, that cannot be mastered.

7. Hello to you too, what a pleasure you've made my trying to share nothing but knowledge, with a community that I assumed would be friendly.

8. If you went further into my life story, which is directly on my website you would see that Sherlock Holmes has been a lifetime inspiration for me, and my work. There is not a show I've done in 10-12 years I would say, that hasn't incorporated the mention of Holmes, or the story of Dr. Joseph Bell.

9. I did not give myself the nickname, however I do not run from it. Why, on EARTH, would I?

10. I was not aware 'Sharing' my personal knowledge, which correlates to this very Forum Topic, would be treated so very tastelessly. This very topic was about sharing aforementioned methods.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you are not a representation of the collective attitude of this community.

Last edited by Joe Riggs (May 15, 2012 4:05 pm)

May 15, 2012 4:31 pm  #4

You are welcome for my thoughts I am sorry that they have upset you so.

Freely shared knowledge and opinion needs to be tapered by all, no?

I sincerely wish you the best with your ventures (No sarcasm) but do expect people like me to take things outside of the realm of fact and turn it against people who would exploit the vulnerable.

Not to say that you are, I just make a point of gunning for psychics, spiritualists and others who look to gain from the redirection of others misery and confusion. Particularly when calling for 'censorship' of opposing voices.

By all means have others read your freely given accounts of your 'techniques' and I wish you, and them, well with it - but I will not be silent when I find something I don't agree with.

The community here generally is very friendly and 'open' to concepts such as Braingym, 'Mind palaces' or its sisters - I hope you enjoy your place within the dynamics here.

You have said your ten things and so I will suppose our dialogue to be ended now.

I am sorry that you did not take my criticism to be constructive - I made a point of it being so, my truer feelings would have been vehement.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 15, 2012 4:45 pm  #5

Correction. Ten things to say about your previous post.

As far as this:

I sincerely wish you the best with your ventures (No sarcasm) but do expect people like me to take things outside of the realm of fact and turn it against people who would exploit the vulnerable.

Not to say that you are, I just make a point of gunning for psychics, spiritualists and others who look to gain from the redirection of others misery and confusion. Particularly when calling for 'censorship' of opposing voices.

You seemed to have missed the part of my work that is 'exposing' psychics, charlatans, spiritualists and all sort of new age predatory groups. I lecture on reason and science. You really seem to have the wrong I idea about who, and what I am entirely.

I have a new book that exposes these very people that was just reviewed by the Baker Street Babes, with quite wonderful things to say. You really are quite mistaken my friend.

I am far from upset for I have a far better grasp on my emotions than that.

I am however terribly sorry you've formed this view of me.

May your future conclusions be much less swiftly made,

Good day to you.

Last edited by Joe Riggs (May 15, 2012 4:47 pm)

May 15, 2012 5:11 pm  #6

Perhaps we are each mistaken then Joe.

When I see testimonials from such high-brow public figures as:

"Joe Riggs carries an uncommon energy that clearly sets him apart from all others in his industry. While others navigate about in the dark, Joe performs in an aura of brightness and luminosity. He is the mentalist of the light! His giftings carry a healing and exhortation that leaves you feeling excited about the future. A one of a kind!"
Dr. Thomas Michael Ph.D, Renowned Author, Musician & Pastor.

"Joe you are a master at bending perceptual illusions and helping people to create anything they want. Especially self-empowerment, self healing and what is really important in life. The fork/spoon bending, physical & mental feats that you are skilled at are just to get THEIR ATTENTION. Like Jesus performing his many miracles. After he blew them away he'd then say, 'Now let me teach you what is important.'"
Michael Dennis, TV/Radio Professional Psychic, Spiritual Counselor, Author, Poet & Minister.

"I called it before anyone even knew of the whispers surrounding you, my friend. You will help me, and others like us, transform the landscape of the 4th dimension ‾ the future of the mind and our perceptions within, and outward."
Carla Baron, Internationally Renowned Psychic/Medium & Television Personality.

And read thoughts of yours from your blog such as this one of many I feel a dichotomy of credibility.

By no means do I believe that one doesn't find certainty from trying and making mistakes - I am very much a believer in experiential learning. I was hoping that you would read my first reply to you and think about changing your image to thwart any claims upon your testimony to be deducer of Sherlockian ideals.

Changes such as website content, existing YouTube videos and associative social links which seemingly look more balanced towards shyster than rationalist.

As I deduced when I first read your opening post, you would have a reason to exploit the fan base and with your supposed recent review by the 'Baker Street Babes' are making headway into that realm. I'm not against you doing so, I am suggesting that to do well within that field you may wish to update your public facing outlook to reflect the sentiments of those who are grounded in facts and not in 'supernatural' powers.

I actually like the fact that you are a magician - I don't find anything suspect about being able to deceive well.

I hope now you can read my first reply with a different mindset - I have only given you the briefest of scrutinies, others - if properly motivated - will make money from pointing out your previous associations with those not grounded in the observable.

Again, best of luck to you and I know some of your 'techniques' will be of use to some people here.

-m0r

May 15, 2012 5:57 pm  #7

Harsh.

I always thought having 'quotes' from the very people I consistently expose, was rather hilarious. I promise the humor was not lost on everyone. Quotes about myself from pastors, psychics and the such are always a great kick to me, and I post them proudly. But never mind that.

Exploit? I have a book, therefore I have motive to exploit. Anyone on here that is in fact an author, has a reason to exploit others. I am not selling a book here, or on any site other than amazon or my own. Nor will I advertise it anywhere other than my personal accounts.

Thanks for the scrutiny as you have said. It is always enjoyable to witness the conclusions of others. You are right about getting rid of old posts and content from the past, going back and taking a look at former associations attached to my name and so forth. But actually, I'm just not that worried about being analyzed.

I thank you for the time you've taken to form your opinions, and voice your thoughts. I appreciate the care you've taken to make sure some 'dark' motive just must, be attached to me in some way.

I maintain that I said nothing wrong, shared some information. Then had to deal with this consistently negative analysis on my character, affiliations, work, intentions etc...

I am sorry for coming to this forum, and offering what information I offered, to the readers.

Have a wonderful night.

I wish you the best!

Last edited by Joe Riggs (May 15, 2012 5:59 pm)

May 15, 2012 6:37 pm  #8

The 'dark' which you speak of is only ignorance - I will not tolerate others peddling it whilst I'm around.

Your previous associations led me to assume that you were dangling a carrot of secret knowledge and that is why I took the time to look into you.

I like your recent burst of energy to walk the side of truth and reason - in fact I applaud it. I just think you had best lay your firmament better.

Exploit can mean 'to take advantage of' but generally means to seize an opportunity and this is the definition I was using earlier. Books don't write themselves and authors should be paid but I think staying away from this as your selling page would do you a great favour as it smacks of the ignorance blight I've already stated. Your actual blog is full of interesting articles and snippets (Well, has been the past month) and I'd say to anyone who has time to check them out as there are many little tricks which carry truth in some situations.

Believe me I would prefer it if you succeed. My scrutiny is that of a stranger who you've established the tiniest of relationship with, I have nothing to gain by your failure and would rather not be labelled as a demotivator.

6 weeks ago a younger member here was wanting some 'mind technique' to complete their exams this year (Important ones too). Myself, and in particular two other members, gave them the proper guidance someone with so much on their plates should take - listen to your teacher and work hard. You weren't a member at the time Joe and I can't speak for you but a few others tried some mnemonics and other techniques which could actually be damaging, not beneficial, to this young persons opportunities in life - I am not saying you would advise such processes but I want you to know that this is how 'some' others will see you with your current vestige.

I hope after some sleep or a little time you will understand that I'm trying to assist you here. You might not mind if people pointed out your affiliations to those who profit from paranormal means - but your credibility is drenched by how you present yourself and I can see that you are altering that, just take your time and do it properly.

For the record the reason I am so vehemently against those who 'exploit' (In the bad way this time) through clandestine 'supernatural' knowledge is because I have fully investigated it and have found it completely nonexistent. It is a waste of people's times and plays upon the most fragile elements of the human condition - something I hope you've noticed and has tilted you towards a more rational and sceptical attitude.

Whilst I may have a cutting tone it is not intended - please do stick around or come back. There's plenty of others who are much softer and diplomatic in their delivery.

Again best of luck, it's not back to the drawing board time, just clean up the site time!

-m0r

May 15, 2012 6:46 pm  #9

Again, had you read my story, or any of the newspaper articles available online. You would know that I was raised by Psychic Readers, in a closed community until I was in high school. I had learned their methods and saw by my own eyes, the grief and suffering the prey upon and profit from. My mother was one of the best. So I realize you have 'fully investigated' these things as you have said, but understand that the path of the 'charlatan' is one I have been working openly against, for a very  long time. Due to family ties and old friends, I still have ties to that community or 'affiliations' as you call it. They are well aware of how I feel about their profession and it's detriment to society. As well as my efforts to see to it that they eventually don't have a profession at all. Which is likely an unreachable task with the popularity of superstition.

Anyways, just letting you know that we may be a little more on the same team, than you realize.

I apologize if I have come off wrong in any way, and hope you can open yourself to seeing things a little differently as well.

Goodbye.

May 15, 2012 6:48 pm  #10

The promotion page you speak of was one made and ran for myself by a friend. It was to promote the book, he is a 'marketing' person. That is a field I am not at all versed in.  The book is however now on Amazon and all links are being updated today actually.  For the record.  ;-) Thanks.

Last edited by Joe Riggs (May 15, 2012 6:51 pm)

May 15, 2012 11:54 pm  #11

Woah guys...down with the handbags please...

Everyone on this board is entitled to an opinion just like everyone is entitled to do whatever job or profession they choose...

@ m0r - maybe not the best way to welcome a new member...?? 
@ Joe - on boards such as these there are bound to be differences of opinion...arguing your point can sometimes be part of the fun...

(I'm trying to be diplomatic here...is it working?  )

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 15, 2012 11:55 pm  #12

Joe Riggs wrote:

The book is however now on Amazon and all links are being updated today actually.  For the record.  ;-) Thanks.

No worries Joe and for everyone else who's gotten this far down our fantastic beginning to a beautiful friendship here is the review of the book by the Baker Street Babes.

If you need any brash, big brotherly, bold opinions on whatever new direction your look will undertake - gimme a shout. It's tough love, but it's a genuine love for everyone involved.

I expect no less in return 

-m0r

EDIT: Hello SH, we've got it all covered. It's a guy thing don't worry 

Last edited by m0r1arty (May 15, 2012 11:56 pm)

May 15, 2012 11:59 pm  #13

OK...it reminds me of Sherlock and Mycroft actually.

May 16, 2012 12:01 am  #14

I am still very much delighted to be a part of the community. No hard feelings at all. There were some valid concerns that were hopefully addressed. Maybe some 'action' but hey, like you said, part of the fun. All is well that ends well. Thanks for the welcome by the way.

May 16, 2012 12:02 am  #15

Excellent. Anyone for a cup of tea?

May 16, 2012 12:05 am  #16

Yes, very Sherlock and Mycroft actually. We can take turns. ;-)  You win, I like you.  You basically did exactly what I would have done, had I perceived what you were at the time. I likely would have been less tasteful. I welcome and value your friendship. Thank You.

May 16, 2012 12:09 am  #17

You were absolutely right then, we are on the same team!

It's through overcoming struggle and gaining success together that humanity has got all the equality and knowledge we have in this world just now.

We still need to make it a little better before we all leave though!

Catch you on the boards and thanks for your tenacious and courteous replies here!

Since we're on a new page Baker Street Babes review of Joe's book: Psychic Lies & Mental Spies

-m0r

May 16, 2012 12:13 am  #18

You do have a way with words. One of the best qualities a person can have.  For a while there I was positive you chose the correct username ;-)

May 16, 2012 6:07 am  #19

If Sherlock is making the tea would anyone like a coffee instead and I can bring some cup cakes too, if you would like boys.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 16, 2012 7:52 am  #20

Thank you Mrs Hudson. 

Board footera