BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2016 7:47 pm  #1

Stealing fanfiction

It's getting worse

madlori is the author of "Performance in a leading role" that Johnlock AU many people love.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 22, 2016 8:36 pm  #2

Re: Stealing fanfiction

Grrr, that makes me angry, I hope Amazon takes it down quicksmart!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 22, 2016 9:15 pm  #3

In the last few months, several similar things happened - esp. men seem now to have discovered the value of women's creative work for the fandom and shamelessly exploit it. Perhaps the happy innocent times are over... 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 22, 2016 10:59 pm  #4

I haven't read the particular work she has been referring to, but I did read both Alone on the Water and Performance in a Leading Role (and some of the Blog of Eugenia Watson, though I have never finished it), so I know how good she is.  
I've heard Amazon is good with customer service, while this isn't exactly that hopefully they are good in other departments as well.  That really sucks that someone would do that, but as long as we know these things happen hopefully things can be put right.

Clueing for looks.

March 23, 2016 12:04 am  #5

This makes me so angry and sad... I know how much work it takes to write fan fiction... and wow. That is just not on! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 23, 2016 8:11 am  #6

Can they track that the fic was first published on AO3?
And... unbelievable.

Last edited by gently69 (March 23, 2016 8:13 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 23, 2016 8:38 am  #7

She posted yesterday that the thief changed the character names like Molly Hooper -> Vincent Hopper.

Yitzock wrote:

I haven't read the particular work she has been referring to, but I did read both Alone on the Water and Performance in a Leading Role (and some of the Blog of Eugenia Watson, though I have never finished it), so I know how good she is.  

The work she is refering to is "Performance in a leading role" ;)

gently69 wrote:

Can they track that the fic was first published on AO3?
And... unbelievable.

That was my first thought too, because I wondered how difficult it will be to proof that she wrote it.

Last edited by Ivy (March 23, 2016 8:40 am)

----------

March 23, 2016 8:59 am  #8

Good news: http://madlori.tumblr.com/post/141531232125/so-someone-stole-performance-and-is-selling-it

I love that a lot of her supporters left 1 star reviews ;)

But she won't be the last, many writer probably don't even know that their story are sold somewhere.

I agree with you Harriet, the innocent times are over.

----------

March 23, 2016 11:55 am  #9

What scum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 23, 2016 2:11 pm  #10

Well, I was clearly distracted when I wrote my post.  That completely went over my head that that was a shortened form of the title.

Anyway, it's good to hear that she was successful in having things resolved.
But it's true, unfortunately there could be others who have had their work stolen but don't know because they don't have as many people who know their work. 

Last edited by Yitzock (March 23, 2016 2:14 pm)

Clueing for looks.

March 23, 2016 3:09 pm  #11

There are others, see Ariane's experience, see lsit's experience ... men who exploit the fan work of women. (Probably also women can do that, but in all these cases it happened to be men.)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 23, 2016 5:10 pm  #12

I guess unless people officially copyright their work, there is nothing you can do?

Last edited by besleybean (March 23, 2016 5:10 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 28, 2016 11:14 am  #13

besleybean wrote:

I guess unless people officially copyright their work, there is nothing you can do?

As far as I know there is NO NEED to "copyright" one's work. In the U.S., in France and in Germany every creator of a "work of art" (in the widest sense) automatically has the copyright (droit de la proprieté intéllectuelle, Urheberrecht) (UK law is the one I don't understand, maybe somebody from the UK could pitch in - but I don't think there is a huge difference in the basic principle). Creating something is enough, at least in theory. In practice it will be useful to be able to prove that one is the creator - for example by keeping drafts and notes of the process. Or depositing a copy of your work with a lawyer.

March 28, 2016 12:04 pm  #14

Oh my God, what the...?!
That's...ugh, I'm disgusted...!

I agree, it seems the innocent times are over...

Last edited by Lilythiell (March 28, 2016 12:09 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera