BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2016 10:53 pm  #1

Regarding Mrs. Hudson, Molly, and Lestrade

Sherlock says to John, “I Don’t Have Friends But Have One”

Now I would think that Mrs. Hudson, Molly, and Lestrade are also his friends. It is true that he does not have a close relationship with them the way that he does John. However, they are people who would help him in a time of need and I think he would in turn do the same for them.

Of course, we all have our own views about what makes someone a friend. So feel free to disagree. That said, I would think that the one value that exists in any friendship is loyalty and they certainly have that.

February 4, 2016 11:15 pm  #2

Re: Regarding Mrs. Hudson, Molly, and Lestrade

Good point. I have two different thoughts about this:

1. The line was written that way for dramatic effect.
2. This was before TRF, so Sherlock didn't truly realise that Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson was also his friends. Only on the rooftop does that hit home.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 5, 2016 12:34 am  #3

Probably didn't really hit him until he was on the rooftop that the others were his friends.  But we already know he cares for Mrs. Hudson, so maybe he knew already that he cared about her but he just never articulated it as the word "friend." She is kind of a maternal figure anyway.

Clueing for looks.

February 5, 2016 8:37 am  #4

I agree. And I think that John still means more to Sherlock than anyone else. Remember the mind palace in HLV? Enumerating all the people who are going to cry when Sherlock dies? But John is the one who calls him back to life. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 5, 2016 10:57 am  #5

Yeah his very nearly last thought is John...

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

Board footera