BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2016 12:25 pm  #1

On-screen chemistry - what is it?

Not sure where to put this. I considered putting in the general Sherlock category as it was inspired by Ben and Martin, but this is more a discussion in general.

I often hear that on-screen actors have chemistry - or a criticism that they lack chemistry. Martin has said himsefl that he and Ben have on-screen chemistry and it's not something either of them can take credit for - you either have it or you don't. If you do, it's just there. If you don't, you can't acquire it. According to him.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what this actually means. What does it mean when two actors have chemistry? Or when they don't? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2016 12:40 pm  #2

Re: On-screen chemistry - what is it?

It's all about rapport. According to Wikipedia:
"In the context of relationships, chemistry is a complex "emotion" that two people get when they share a special connection. It is not necessarily sexual. It is the impulse making one think "I need to see this [other] person again" - that feeling of "we click".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemistry_(relationship)
The article talks about good chemistry, bad chemistry, no chemistry. Worth reading the whole thing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 20, 2016 12:44 pm  #3

Yeah it's a real thing. There's a guy I've been in shows with before where we have great on stage chemistry but a conversation between us is like pulling teeth.

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

January 20, 2016 12:46 pm  #4

Thanks for the link. This makes me wonder:

How can you see in a movie/tv-series if two actors have good chemistry or not?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2016 12:47 pm  #5

Chemistry is one of those things that can make or break a show.  It's hard to put your finger own but you notice when it's there and you really notice when it's not there.

What I find fascinating in film and TV is that on screen chemistry does not necessarily mean two actors get along off camera.  And vice versa.  I have seen real life couples work together and they have zero on screen spark.  I have also seen two actors set the screen on fire, only to find out later that they hate each other in real life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2016 12:55 pm  #6

tonnaree wrote:

Chemistry is one of those things that can make or break a show.  It's hard to put your finger own but you notice when it's there and you really notice when it's not there.

What I find fascinating in film and TV is that on screen chemistry does not necessarily mean two actors get along off camera.  And vice versa.  I have seen real life couples work together and they have zero on screen spark.  I have also seen two actors set the screen on fire, only to find out later that they hate each other in real life.

Yep. It's intriguing. And screen tests are how they tell. They do pairings and groupings during the audition process... That's how we ended up with Martin instead of Matt Smith.

---------------

January 20, 2016 1:00 pm  #7

tonnaree wrote:

Yes, it's a bit like that with Ben and Martin. They have on-screen chemistry, but they don't hang out as friends outside of filming.

I am still not sure what it is, though, or how to see if it's there or not. I just read that some actors have that chemistry and some have not, and I am not quite sure how they see it or what to look for.

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2016 1:12 pm  #8

I think it's something to do with how believable the relationship is from an outsider's perspective, but I'm not really sure how you would be able to quantify that either   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 20, 2016 1:19 pm  #9

No, Ben and Martin don't hang out a lot, but they do honestly like and respect each other.  They do seem to enjoy each other's company.

Some on screen couples out right loathe each other of screen. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2016 1:47 pm  #10

tonnaree wrote:

No, Ben and Martin don't hang out a lot, but they do honestly like and respect each other.  They do seem to enjoy each other's company.

Some on screen couples out right loathe each other of screen. 

You're right, I think it's a professional friendship,, they appreciate each other's craft and the like. The thing is off screen (outside Sherlock) they're immensely busy.

---------------

January 20, 2016 1:52 pm  #11

Well, I don't know what it is exactly that makes chemistry, but I know it when I see it - and I see it when it's not there.
However, I do think that chemistry can happen after a while, even if it wasn't there from the very first moment.
Good example (in my eyes) is "The X-Files". I thought Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny always had great chemistry on screen, and when David left (more or less) and Robert Patrick joined Gillian Anderson it just felt wrong to me. Not because I missed David (which I did) but because I felt that there just wasn't any chemistry between Gillian and Patrick. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I subconsciously compared Gillian and Robert with Gillian and David, I'm not sure. I just know that the first couple of episodes with Robert were... wrong. But it got better and eventually they had chemistry, although it was a different kind of chemistry than Gillian's and David's. I re-watched the show recently and it felt exactly the same all over again.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 20, 2016 1:53 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 20, 2016 2:24 pm  #12

What is it that you see? Or don't see?

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2016 2:38 pm  #13

I see chemistry or the lack of it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 20, 2016 2:54 pm  #14

What is it that you see that you define as chemistry or lack of it?

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2016 3:10 pm  #15

First let me say that I think how people perceive chemistry is highly subjective, even though there is a definition out there that tells us what chemistry means. Nevertheless I think that's theory, what comes across to each audience member however is the real thing.
My example: Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes". In my opinion RDJ and Jude Law are having a hell of a chemistry, it totally translates to the audience (or better: to me) how much fun they obviously had while doing the movies. I felt that way even before I saw any interviews they did together. What I see when I look at their Holmes and Watson feels real and right - and that's probably why I'm saying that they're having great chemistry.
I can't explain it any better. Just call it a gut feeling.

January 20, 2016 9:00 pm  #16

I wish I had that gut feeling too. 

Team Hudders!

January 21, 2016 1:27 am  #17

I can only describe it as a kind of spark that happens when the two actors work off each other.  There's an energy, a rhythm and a sense they are in sync with what they are doing with their characters. And because of that they are able to draw the audience in to them with that energy. In some mysterious way they compliment each other perfectly. It's like charisma - another hard to define characteristic people have.

I think the chemistry I felt between Ben and Martin when I first saw them on screen together as John and Sherlock started because of how opposite they were in looks and how they played their characters - one so tall, dark, exotic, frenetic; the other small, blond, boyish, stolid - but both with a sort of underlying vulnerability. I loved them both equally but when they were together on screen it was like something ignited and together they were greater than the sum of their parts. I remember someone asked me once if I loved the show because of the way Ben played Sherlock and my answer was, "No, I love the show because of John and Sherlock together.  I have to have them together!"  Such was the force of that "chemistry".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 21, 2016 1:38 am  #18

Well put. A sort of yin and yang effect, their differences complement and enhance each other. Both as Ben and Martin, and Sherlock and John.

January 21, 2016 7:28 am  #19

KeepersPrice wrote:

"No, I love the show because of John and Sherlock together. I have to have them together!" Such was the force of that "chemistry".

That's what it comes down to, I would say. It doesn't really matter that the story is written that way, you know, with two main characters. What matters is that you wouldn't want to have it any other way, that it wouldn't work if one of them suddenly were alone or with someone else. It has to be the two of them, together.
That's basically why "The X-Files" didn't really work for me anymore after Mulder/Duchovny was gone. With Mulder and Scully it was brilliant, it was perfect. With Scully and somebody else it was just another tv show.

January 21, 2016 11:02 am  #20

For me, chemistry is when actors are not faking emotions towards each other but just are open because of what the other character means to their own character. But it only works if both of them are like that.
So they don't have to be friends in real life, but they have to find something they can relate to about that other human being next to them, even if it's just: We're in the same boat and we'll do this together, no matter what, and it may work. You have to be able to trust the other person, that he or she is in for the same matter than you are.
But if people let their private issues or even the slightest bit of insecurity about the other person slide in, then the energy between them isn't working in the way it should and there's no spark. It's such a fragile little thing and so valuable - and so easely crashed by the smallest of things.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

Board footera