BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2016 5:08 pm  #1

Waltz for Mary and John link with The Maid of the Mill

I think this could be interesting, but my music playing skills are a bit...rusty. As is my knowledge of music theory.

I've sort of noticed a link between those two -The Maid of the Mill is in a minor key (i.e. sad) and The Waltz, while being in a major key (supposedly not sad), has a strong...longing feeling.
We know from the lyrics to The Maid that it's a very sad song (a maid asks her husband not to forget her), and the feelings we get from the Waltz are...rather bittersweet.
Could there be an echo of The Maid in The Waltz?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 9, 2016 11:00 am  #2

Re: Waltz for Mary and John link with The Maid of the Mill

I don't really know a lot about references in music either. I remember that when a piece refers to another piece, they tend to use the same key and/or the same chords, or sometimes the same instrument. I don't know whether they are in the same key, but if one is major and the other is minor, I'd say there probably isn't a link. 

I'm also not sure why David Arnold and Michael Price would include such a link since there's no obvious connection in the plot. There's a shooting bride, yes, but Amelia's motive is completely different from Mary's and the story is quite different too. 

I did notice another link though: 'Do not forget me' and 'Did you miss me?'

January 9, 2016 12:22 pm  #3

Yep, I think that's another of those that were buried in my copious notes on the TAB thread!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2016 2:29 pm  #4

Yeah, I suppose a lot of what we said in that thread has gotten buried because everyone was so excited to share their first thoughts. 

Board footera