BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2016 10:45 am  #41

Re: Sherlock's Addiction

To be fair, he was a in a pretty extreme situation and facing rather a bleak future...he'd also not long murdered a man.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 10:48 am  #42

Like I said, a crack big enough.... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"
https://secure.static.tumblr.com/366e007c7d5d80b608050b4c5e841fb6/clrlpmh/wV7o0y8be/tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif
"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr I AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2016 10:53 am  #43

And had also had a week in solitary confinement to think about it - alone with his worst enemy, as Mycroft says!

However shocked John was, this wasn't a full-scale OD, really - it seems he just had five minutes of being in a state where he could have vivid imaginings, and from which he was fairly rousable, then bounces back and off to work. 

Oh, another point I meant to make which sways back towards Sherlock taking the drugs beforehand, is his comment that he doesn't need them now he has the real thing, i.e. work.  That suggests he wasn't "working" when he took them - i.e. didn't know he was coming back to deal with Moriarty. 

January 3, 2016 11:03 am  #44

I did think that too, that he had no idea he'd be given a new distraction... hopefully work can help him get out of this again. 

My friend almost made me lose it yesterday... she pressed me about why the special had left me so emotional... I told her 'because Sherlock is back on drugs again..." (like I mentioned before she doesn't know what I know about addictions...) and she just looked at me and said "It was just one time. He'll be fine"... 

If only. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://secure.static.tumblr.com/366e007c7d5d80b608050b4c5e841fb6/clrlpmh/wV7o0y8be/tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr I AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2016 11:06 am  #45

The thing is, I don't believe Sherlock that he is really in control, and I think the fanciful line in the end confirms it. The whole "I am just a user" line is not really convincing in a context in which he just has ODd.

January 3, 2016 11:09 am  #46

Exactly. Not even Sherlock could be in control like that. And I felt it was clear that he had lost control. 

But that's the dangerous thing about addiction. It wants you to think you're controlling it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr I AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2016 11:16 am  #47

I hear you and I agree.
But I do tend to think that most of the time he is in control.
I think he's allowed to go off the rails when he feels he's facing a death sentence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 11:20 am  #48

I 'understand' that he took the drugs... especially when he thought it was all over... *sniffles* 

But there's no such thing as 'just once and lets go back to being perfectly sober'... I have a feeling it will take him a long time to get out the claws of this siren.

Sherlock is normally very much of in control of everything... but an addiction is always stronger than you. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr I AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2016 11:22 am  #49

I'm just a bit reluctant to use the word "addict" when I don't feel it's really what we've been seeing.   I mean, if it was alcohol, would we count him as an alcoholic?  Getting steaming drunk after a highly traumatic time, followed by being sent to almost certain death, would not make somebody an addict (especially if it was apparently the first time they'd done it in a couple of years).   I would say he's a user - a user with a problem, maybe (if he's relying on drugs to create a certain state, whether it's to help him think or dull his misery), but not an addict.  But I'm aware that addiction has different definitions.  I suppose I could think of him as an addict if he'd been one in the past ... but I don't think Mycroft is really saying that, even though he calls him an addict. 

In the past it has been suggested that Sherlock's drug use is related to lack of stimulation from work - I suppose he has it under control as long as he can keep working.  But overdosing for effect definitely counts as risk-taking behaviour.  Maybe if he's addicted to anything, it's more to the risk/danger/stimulation than a particular drug. 

(And I'm sorry about your experience, Phantom.  It gives you an insight which I'm sure you would rather not have).

Last edited by Liberty (January 3, 2016 11:23 am)

January 3, 2016 11:24 am  #50

I have dealt with one or two addicted in my live...not of the drugs but of the alcoholism variety. The excuses are more or less the same, though. Just because someone is able to control their addiction most of the time it doesn't mean that there isn't any addiction and it is dangerous to overlook the lapses in control because one day, they might have tragic consequences.

So far I was in the "Sherlock has it under control" boat because that's how his drug use is described in canon, as a habit he indulged in whenever he was not on a case, but he ended later in life on Watson's insistence. This episode though suggested multiple times that Watson's account is portraying Holmes as a better man than he actually is. Holmes even says at one point that the promise that he would never do drugs on a case is something Watson made up. Therefore I now lean in the direction of Sherlock being an addict, and that John's presence is what mainly keeps him away from the edge. Though if the writers following canon, he might have kicked his addiction for good now (as much as you can kick an addiction).

January 3, 2016 11:26 am  #51

I agree, Liberty...Sherlock is an adrenaline junkie, like John.
If he doesn't get that fix, he will use illegal substances...
John uses sex, Sherlock uses drugs- that's how it swings!

Swanpride, good points. Maybe this episode is the 'dealing with Sherlock's drug' problem episode. I would like to think we have done this now and can move on.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2016 11:28 am)

January 3, 2016 11:27 am  #52

SusiGo wrote:

What about Mycroft mentioning "the other one"? If there was such a past tragedy he covered up, why would his political colleagues know about it? 

What if that tragedy had happened on "the other one"'s workplace -I'm assuming he (she? No, "I'm not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion")'s got a bigger age difference with Sherlock than Mycroft and would already be working when Sherlock was still a young boy- and that Mycroft wasn't able to fully cover it up from his colleagues, especially after a bit of digging into his past? It's not like you can be thick in his line of work, after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t449/Lise_Delville/221BBakerStreet_zpspjgv45qk.jpg

January 3, 2016 11:30 am  #53

I never thought the other one could have met their demise because of drugs, but it's possible and would explain Mycroft particularly demanding  a list from Sherlock.

January 3, 2016 11:39 am  #54

Oh, to keep with this theory of Sherlock being somehow responsible for the other one's demise, and the List...
"I have a list. Mycroft has a file."

That puts Sherlock's comment in an all too different light, doesn't it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t449/Lise_Delville/221BBakerStreet_zpspjgv45qk.jpg

January 3, 2016 11:40 am  #55

The 'The other one'-theory is very interesting in deed. It could be a harsh reminder to them both how bad it could go... and could maybe also make Sherlock more open to actually making the list at all. 

(Liberty, thank you... I do wish I didn't have these experiences... but if anything it's given me some insight about stuff, and myself... It's a battle that never ends. Right now I'm trying to replace my urges with Sherlock and my boyfriend. ) I just worry I am reading way too much into Sherlock's drug use... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr I AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2016 12:16 pm  #56

It's a worthwhile topic of discussion from all angles, so no worries.

January 3, 2016 12:30 pm  #57

Lilythiell wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

What about Mycroft mentioning "the other one"? If there was such a past tragedy he covered up, why would his political colleagues know about it? 

What if that tragedy had happened on "the other one"'s workplace -I'm assuming he (she? No, "I'm not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion")'s got a bigger age difference with Sherlock than Mycroft and would already be working when Sherlock was still a young boy- and that Mycroft wasn't able to fully cover it up from his colleagues, especially after a bit of digging into his past? It's not like you can be thick in his line of work, after all.

Yes, that would be possible. I was thinking about the meta where "the other one" was close in age to Sherlock or even a twin and Mycroft tried to cover what happened. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

January 3, 2016 12:37 pm  #58

Though we don't even know that 'the other one' definitely was another sibling.

January 3, 2016 12:57 pm  #59

I'm wondering whether 'the other one' would have anything to do with the name 'Gillian Vernet' in the notebook. Though that'd be a cousin, rather than a brother. 

On the ODing: I think it's very likely to be an accident. Although drug users tend to know rather precisely what their optimal dosage is, a number that tends to increase as the body builds up tolerance, there are contexutal factors that determine the body's response.

Let me explain. Users tend to have certain habits and places where they use drugs and the body responds to that before the drug is actually taken. Therefore, when a user uses the same dosage in a different context, the effect may be much more extreme than normal, because the body hasn't gotten a chance to prepare itself. People are often unaware of this, which is why so many experienced users can still accidentally die of an overdose. 

January 5, 2016 2:40 am  #60

I'm going to say that I think Sherlock OD'd deliberately.Why? It's a much more pleasant way to die than the suicide mission he was being sent on. Torture, being hunted, with no hope, and no John...  I think he was euthanizing himself.

Board footera