BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2015 3:52 pm  #1

Suggestion: "Last Edited By..." Delay

When a post is edited, a message is displayed at the bottom of the post indicating so.

I do like this feature - however, some other forums I've been on give a brief "grace period" (usually about 30 to 60 seconds) after posting where edits do not cause this message to appear.

I was wondering if this "grace period" would be a good idea to implement, if supported by the forum software.

I'm usually careful about what I post, but sometimes a typo slips through, or something is not worded as clearly as I thought.  I do a quick and immediate edit to correct this (because I'm anal about the correctness and clarity of my posts), and the "last edited by..." message is then shown.

From a personal perspective, I don't like seeing the "last edited by..." message if I make a quick correction immediately after posting, since this is usually just a "quick fix".  It's not a massive change of thought or expression (such a large change would take enough time to type that the "grace period" would end and the updated post would acceptably have the "lasted edited by..." message).

From a practical perspective, this would reduce clutter on the page by only showing "last edited by..." messages when it "matters" - e.g. a large change to the tone of the post, or a bit of time has passed.

I was wondering what the admins think of this idea.

Thanks!

November 5, 2015 7:19 pm  #2

Re: Suggestion: "Last Edited By..." Delay

Not a bad thought, but I just wanted to say that I'm not entirely sure our admins have anything to do with that?  From bits and pieces of tinkering I've heard over the years, you can customize your forum a bit as far as looks, but the main workings of it are entirely boardhost.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 5, 2015 7:47 pm  #3

I am not the admin and I have no idea if this feature can be changed or if is a boardhost standard feature. The mods have the option of a "silent edit" where the message is not shown but this might be a mods-only feature. If you really want to know, pleased PM the boss and ask if this possible. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 5, 2015 7:47 pm  #4

It might be beyond the control of the webmaster - figured I'd mention it anyway.

I was an admin on a phpbb forum for a while, and while I don't remember this specific setting, there was a lot of control over posting details.

November 5, 2015 7:48 pm  #5

SusiGo wrote:

I am not the admin and I have no idea if this feature can be changed or if is a boardhost standard feature. The mods have the option of a "silent edit" where the message is not shown but this might be a mods-only feature. If you really want to know, pleased PM the boss and ask if this possible. 

Thanks!  It's not that big of a deal - I'll just wait to see if the boss notices this thread  

Board footera