BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2015 3:41 pm  #1

BA Thesis

Hello everyone. I need some help with finding books that I can use to my bachelor thesis.
My subject is about Sherlock Holmes:

The image of Sherlock Holmes in 'The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes' and the film 'Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows'.

My chapter I will be about historical background -> information about epoch(victorian) and general information about Sherlock Holmes.
Second about appearance of Sherlock Holmes in the book and film and character traits.
Third about life and habits of Sherlock Holmes (professional and private life).

I've already few books that I can use to start writing my BA thesis but I need 30 ( I have 10 - 4 about victorian period and 6 about sherlock for eg. The Sign of Four(ill use information about deduction from this book) . 
I would be really grateful if you can give me some books. I really appreciate any help. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (November 2, 2015 3:44 pm)

November 2, 2015 5:58 pm  #2

Re: BA Thesis

I would recommend a website on victorian etiquette, but I don't think that would be of any help...Still, I'll try and think about it.

Erm, on the topic of "information about Sherlock Holmes", have you considered his "biography" Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street by Baring-Gould ? That should cover some ground on the subbject.

Appearance of Sherlock Holmes in the book and film...well, here you can definitely tal about the various adaptations made on the character -starting with the representation by Paget (the illustrator) to the different actors who have portrayed him. Might be a fun thing to say/comment on the fact that Ben's Mum told him "but you haven't the right nose" when he was cast as Sherlock Holmes?
As for the character traits, I suppose you could focus on the various types which are emphasised for every adaptation (I'm so sorry I seem to be stuck on the topic) eg. House M.D., Elementary, BBC Sherlock, Granada Sherlock, ...

I'm sure it's only a typo, but don't write "for e.g". Either write "for example" or "e.g."

Last edited by Lilythiell (November 2, 2015 5:59 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 2, 2015 6:48 pm  #3

First of all I can use only 3 articles in my BA thesis. What's more I can use only books from 'google books' and libraries.
Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street by Baring-Gould - this is a great position but I am not sure if I can get it in any library here in PL, tried to find it at google books but no response, damn. - that book would be great for general information about S.H , no idea if I will be able to get copy of it.

Im not sure how I will write chapter II , about image of S.H in The memoirs... and film Games of Shadows.
My supervisor told me to write some info S.H from book and then compare it to the one from film and again and again. - this is what I know for a moment, but still I dont get it(am sure that I will write there about what he was doing, with who he was working, about his friends etc; so about everything(2.1), just not about character traits, because for this I have 2.2), this what you've said is pretty interesting, could you give me some more information when you will have time? Thanks

Really thanks for clues about character traits, so House is similar to S.H and I can add some positions about House to bibliography and write about it in character traits? (eg. House, MD: The offical guide to the hit medical drama', right sir?) What am sure that I will have to write traits of S.H in books , especially in 'The Memoirs of S.H' but I think he is the same in all books but whats with film? Are there any books that may help me to write traits of him in Games of Shadows(2011) ?

For Victorian period I have like 5 books and I think thats enough eg. 'Daily life in Victorian Period'; 'The Victorian Period' etc. still 25 missing

What is more I'll use article from britannica about Sherlock Holmes for general information about S.H
(24 positions missing)

In chapter III I will write about S.H methods of detection(professional life) but not sure what books would be helpful and same with his private life. In 'The Sign of Four' I've found some information about deduction method and some in 'A study in Scarlet'.

Of course I have to read The Memoirs of S.H and to watch the film Games of Shadow, so 21 positions still missing.

I've got also like 5 more if I good remember , so I need like 17 more. My supervisor told me that I need to have 30 books written in my bibliography.

ps. I'd like to apologise for 'for e.g' am still at work and do not have much time, hope its understandable, sorry for any mistakes and thank you for help. ; ill write some more information tomorrow because am busy today

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (November 2, 2015 7:27 pm)

November 2, 2015 9:35 pm  #4

Here are some links that may help you:

Complete Canon + original illustrations:

http://www.ignisart.com/camdenhouse/canon/index.html

Pastiches and parodies:

http://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php/Pastiches_&_Parodies

Thomas Bruce Wheeler – The London of Sherlock Holmes

Download:

http://www.sherlockian-sherlock.com/thomas-bruce-wheeler-books.php

Ronald A. Knox - Studies in the literature of Sherlock Holmes

http://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php?title=Studies_in_the_Literature_of_Sherlock_Holmes

The Secret Marriage of Sherlock Holmes and Other Excentric Readings

Download:

https://muse.jhu.edu/books/9780472022359

The Philosophy of Sherlock Holmes:

https://books.google.sk/books?id=Fk3liJV6uuYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Sherlock+Holmes+books+written+in+21st+century&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2lf9UsCfEoXayAHIooGYBg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Peter Vyhlídka – Holmesiana (in Czech):

http://web2.mlp.cz/koweb/00/04/03/48/75/holmesiana.pdf

Some essays of interest + download:

http://www.ignisart.com/camdenhouse/scholars/index.html

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 2, 2015 10:38 pm  #5

I want to thank you, nakahara, I was not familiar with most of them (none of them, actually, except the Complete canon and illustrations...), and any knowledge in the Holmes universe is very much worth having!

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 2, 2015 10:45 pm  #6

With pleasure, Lilythiell. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 2, 2015 10:49 pm  #7

November 2, 2015 10:59 pm  #8

sherlockian1990 wrote:

Im not sure how I will write chapter II , about image of S.H in The memoirs... and film Games of Shadows.
My supervisor told me to write some info S.H from book and then compare it to the one from film and again and again. - this is what I know for a moment, but still I dont get it(am sure that I will write there about what he was doing, with who he was working, about his friends etc; so about everything(2.1), just not about character traits, because for this I have 2.2), this what you've said is pretty interesting, could you give me some more information when you will have time? Thanks

It may be a good start to point out that Holmes image has been hyperbolised in Guy Ritchie adaptation. E.g. original Holmes is a good boxer (but boxes only in his pastime), is a good fencer and has some knowledge of martial arts... Guy Ritchie Holmes is a devilish fighter who boxes in a ring with tough guys, knows incredible kung-fu moves, can deduce the moves of his enemy with bullet speed... Original Holmes is a slight misanthrope but knows how to behave in society... Guy Ritchie Holmes is a bit on the spectrum and actively hates society etc.

sherlockian1990 wrote:

In chapter III I will write about S.H methods of detection(professional life) but not sure what books would be helpful and same with his private life. In 'The Sign of Four' I've found some information about deduction method and some in 'A study in Scarlet'.

I think this quotes categorised after main features of Holmes thinking may come in handy:

http://sherlockholmesquotes.com/Sherlock-Holmes-on-Deduction-and-Deductive-Reasoning.html

November 3, 2015 10:10 am  #9

More book recommendations:

Sherlock Holmes for the 21st Century - Essays on New Adaptations:

https://books.google.sk/books?id=_hnMydl5ptQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=sherlock+holmes&hl=sk&sa=X&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAmoVChMI9ZLSlf_zyAIVBbQUCh2RcgCe#v=onepage&q=sherlock%20holmes&f=false

The Scientific Sherlock Holmes - Cracking the Case with Science and Forensics:

https://books.google.sk/books?id=XeXMlUmVGDwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=sherlock+holmes&hl=sk&sa=X&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBmoVChMI9ZLSlf_zyAIVBbQUCh2RcgCe#v=onepage&q=sherlock%20holmes&f=false

Amazing and Extraordinary Facts - Sherlock Holmes:

https://books.google.sk/books?id=Xi2Qkn9khhoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=sherlock+holmes&hl=sk&sa=X&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBDgKahUKEwids8n2__PIAhUGRQ8KHY_nA94#v=onepage&q=sherlock%20holmes&f=false

In Bed with Sherlock Holmes: Sexual Elements in ACD´s Stiers of The Great Detective:

https://books.google.sk/books?id=56531vWZOeQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=sherlock+holmes&hl=sk&sa=X&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAjgUahUKEwjgstiYgPTIAhUBWxQKHfX7C1A#v=onepage&q=sherlock%20holmes&f=false

Sherlock Holmes for Dummies:

https://books.google.sk/books?id=FTs85BS6IeYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=sherlock+holmes&hl=sk&sa=X&ved=0CFgQ6AEwCDgeahUKEwjBibW_gPTIAhVG1hQKHdw7CRE#v=onepage&q=sherlock%20holmes&f=false

The Science of Sherlock Holmes:

https://books.google.sk/books?id=QiJyB8jaI9oC&pg=PA41&dq=sherlock+holmes&hl=sk&sa=X&ved=0CFoQ6AEwCDgyahUKEwjN3rTugPTIAhUEeg8KHTgGC-A#v=onepage&q=sherlock%20holmes&f=false

Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorised Biography:

https://books.google.sk/books?id=RQwxAzs3peYC&pg=PT78&dq=sherlock+holmes&hl=sk&sa=X&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAThQahUKEwj9vMi2gfTIAhXBFQ8KHd6iDNo#v=onepage&q=sherlock%20holmes&f=false

November 3, 2015 10:56 am  #10

November 3, 2015 11:06 am  #11

November 3, 2015 4:25 pm  #12

Wow. Hello guys. I really appreciate your help! All information are useful, thank you for helping me.
I had some time and already 'checked' few of them them and I've already added few.

The Scientific Sherlock Holmes - Cracking the Case with Science and Forensics
(cant find full version of it ) - really interesting one , but there are only few pages available 

Amazing & Extraordinary Facts: Sherlock Holmes; Nick Utechin; F&W Media International, Ltd 2012
Only got 19 pages but still useful, eg. from where Sherlock Holmes name come from.

Sherlock Holmes for Dummies; Steven Doyle, Publisher The Baker Street Jornal; David A.Crowder; Wiley Publishing, Inc. ; 2010

'Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography' ; Nick Rennison; Atlantic Books; London 2005

'The Sherlock Holmes Miscellany' ; Roger Johnson & Jean Upton ; 2012; The History Press

'Sherlock Holmes on the Stag: A  chronological Encyclopedia of Plays Featuring The Great Detective; Amnon Kabatchnik; The Scarecrow Press, INC; 2008 USA

'The Sherlock Holmes Handbook' by Ransom Riggs; Quirk Productions; 2009 (about methods and mysteries of S.H)

Already added them to my bibliography, I'll use few pages from them , because I dont have to read whole books , just use pages that I need to and can add book to my bibliography, just have to write pages that I used from books ;)

To sum up , already got 20. Plus I've found an article about S.H 
http://www.britannica.com/topic/Sherlock-Holmes   and might be useful; (still can add 2 more articles to my bibliography, I need to find interesting article about SH from 'Games of Shadows', so it will be easier for me to write chapter II)

http://sherlockholmesquotes.com/Sherlock-Holmes-on-Deduction-and-Deductive-Reasoning.html - also looked at this , and seems pretty interesting, because 1 quote = 1 book ; ) Great idea and it will be really useful for my chapter III when I will write about methods.

I still need to check few of them that you have posted guys, I'll do this later or tomorrow, because am still busy at work..

ps. as my supervisor told me , I need to have 30 positions in my bibliography but I can use even 1 page from that book or even 1 quote and I can add this to my bibliography.

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (November 3, 2015 5:00 pm)

November 3, 2015 7:09 pm  #13

I´m glad that it was useful to you. Good luck. 

November 3, 2015 8:32 pm  #14

And I will add a long essay on Guy Ritchie´s adaptation for you:

http://www2.oakland.edu/oujournal/files/24_sherlock_holmes.pdf

January 26, 2016 10:28 am  #15

Hello guys I've finished writing my first chapter of the thesis.
I'd like to start writing the third now and need some help

Life and habits of Sherlock Holmes. - title
  Professional and private life.

I need some help because I am not sure about what should I write in this chapter.
In professional life -  I'm pretty sure that I'll write about his methods to solve crimes but about private?

And what in private life section? Any ideas?

Thanks.

January 26, 2016 12:33 pm  #16

There are a few topics you could write about in that section:

a) Sherlock´s "confirmed bachelorship"
b) his personal relationship with his brother, his friendship with John, his conduct with other people surrounding him (Mrs. Hudson)
c) personal habits - cleanliness and great care about his appearance versus his very unruly Bohemian habits and his tendency to turn his flat into a rubbish heap
d) drug use - appearing in his dark days of boredom when he has no cases
e) speculation about how he spends his days based on original stories - he certainly spends some time exercising (box, martial arts), studying (sciences and the facts about various criminal cases), writing monographs, collecting interesting trivia about people and various topics of interest, practicing chemistry, attending pathology, library, offices, courts of law (studing law and casuistics) etc.
f) his penchant for music (violin), attending concerts and galleries,
h) walks which give him intimate knowledge of London,
i) his ability to blend into various sceneries while in disguise indicates that he studies these sceneries and people inhabiting them thoroughly - he certainly spends some time this way.

Last edited by nakahara (January 26, 2016 12:48 pm)

January 26, 2016 12:46 pm  #17

Wow, Thank you for these great tips, subjects to my chapter III.
It gave me a new light how can I write this chapter and about what.

Thanks!

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (January 26, 2016 12:47 pm)

January 26, 2016 12:58 pm  #18

It was a pleasure.

You could also add something about his strange eating habits and his smoking etc.

January 26, 2016 1:04 pm  #19

Thanks to your tips , it looks like my chapter III isn't difficult but funny ;)

February 5, 2016 2:08 pm  #20

Hello guys, thanks once again for your tips and help. Soon I will start writing my chapter II but I have no clue how to start this chapter, I and III thanks to your tips are finished

I am ashamed but I have no idea for chapter II and I need some clues, help. 
Thank you all once again.

I'll give you once again the info of my chapter II:
The appearance of Sherlock Holmes.
- The appearance of Sherlock Holmes in the book and the film. - this is the most problematic one, I have no idea how should I start, describing it in the book and film, any example will save my life 
- Character traits.

ps. The book is: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (February 5, 2016 2:31 pm)

Board footera