BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2015 10:51 am  #1

Benedict on the radio - Who's Calling Christian?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 9, 2015 2:20 pm  #2

Re: Benedict on the radio - Who's Calling Christian?

Oh, thanks for that, dear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

October 9, 2015 2:25 pm  #3

I love his answer to the "end of relationship" question. Such a nice way of being funny and at the same time circumnavigating what could have been a slightly embarrassing subject. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 9, 2015 2:29 pm  #4

I loved it, too!
Wish he'd answered his "own question" though, I'm sure he'd've made it funny as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

October 9, 2015 3:15 pm  #5

Sadly I could hardly understand a word.

October 9, 2015 10:07 pm  #6

Okay, I've typed up a transcript for you

---

Benedict: Morning
Christian: Who is calling Christian?
B: Benedict Cumberbatch, morning Christian, how are you?
C: I'm very good Benedict, thank you very much for giving us a call.
B: That's alright.
C: It's an honour to speak to Sherlock, I'm a massive Sherlock Holme fans [that's how he actually said it!] and uh, I think you...
B: Oh good.
C: Uh, you've done a fantastic job of that. The trailer that they've released recently is amazing.
B: It's exciting isn't it, I can't wait to see it, I haven't seen it yet so I'm very excited by it. [chuckles]
C: Can you believe as well there was, ah, people still debating, um, how you did the final, you know, the scene of you dropping off the roof as well, did you die, how you do it all...
B: Still debating whether I'm alive or not or whether I'm a puppet.
C: Yes I know.
B: Ah, yeah, no, ah, it's, well, I sort of can, it's been a bit of an obsession, the whole program with its details which is kind of wonderful for fans because we throw a whole lot in with this episode so, um yeah, it's going to be a great show I hope, yeah. But yeah it's just one of those nice things when something takes off, people really obsess over the details, so most people I talk to know a lot more about it than I do. [chuckles]
C: Were you nervous about taking on, I mean obviously you've taken on some big roles, you've recently done Hamlet as well...
B: Doing it, yeah, hence the wonky voice [I think this is what he says]
C: But someone like Sherlock Holmes because there's been so many great ones.
B: Yeah, no well yeah, I was very nervous and then I heard who had written the scripts and you know, the pedigree of both of those writers and actors and just their taste in general, I just thought this is going to be a riot, read the script and it was just for a pilot at that stage, and it could have been, you know, hour-long episodes or the format we've now ended with which is, uh, you know, three one-and-a-half hour sort of films and it was so good, so funny, so spot-on, so reverential but also irreverent and...
C: Yeah.
B: It curled that balance between poking fun at what the re- sort of -location of the relationship would be in the twenty first century at the same time as holding the spirit of this incredible friendship that sparks off all these incredible adventures of the original books, and they are the biggest Conan Doyle fanboys you'll ever find, so there's no detail they don't know.
C: You can tell, yeah.
B: Yeah and so it was a joy to read and a real joy to do, so, but none of us knew it would be this much of a to-do as far as a success once it actually aired, but um, we were fairly certain we were doing a good thing but no one knew quite what [lost the words here, due to bad phone connection] be very exciting.
C: Now listen Benedict, who has... who do we have to thank for getting you to call the show?
B: Ah, you have to thank a friend of mine called Sarah, um, and she just said you've got to phone in, you've gotta phone in, and actually I'm, you know, I'm gunning for a cause at the moment which um, is very dear to my heart. We're appealing every night after the show to raise money for Save the Children, for the Syrian appeal, um, and I thought gosh, if there's any way of me having um, a chance in hell of raising some money for that cause I will do it, so that's why I'm croaking to you down the end of a phone.
C: [laughs] I'm sorry we are abusing your vocal chords this morning, they probably need to be resting don't they?
B: Yeah they do, they do, they should be in a little hammock with a sort of non-alcoholic martini and somebody fanning them...
C: [laughing]
B: Looking over the papers and listening to your show rather than speaking, but there we go. For a good cause.
C: You should have done this over text, it would have been a lot easier, okay?
B: [laughs] Should have done it over text, exactly [laughing, not sure what he says] any impersonators out there to do me. But um no, yeah I'm here.
C: Well I appreciate [you] giving a call, that's a very very great... that's a great cause as well, and a very timely one as well. Now everyone who calls in, Benedict, they're leaving a question for the next caller. Yours comes from the mighty Xander Armstrong.
B: Yes. Oh god. [laughs]
C: This is quite a question.
B: [laughing] He doesn't pull his punches in the world of comedy. What has he got to ask me?
C: Well it's quite a big question: What's the worst ending to a relationship you've had? [laughs]
B: [short silence] Ahhh... Cigarettes, definitely. I mean, when me and them ended...
C: [loud laughter obliterates part of Ben's answer]
B: That was a disastrous few months and weeks, yeah. That was really tough. [or it could be "all the memories we share. I was really cut"]
C: [laughter continues]
B: I mean my fingers got a better colour but you know, I kind of miss that tinge of yellow, my teeth and breath got a bit better but, I dunno, there was just something about their scent that sort of lingered for a bit, and every time I'd pass a packet I'd get a bit teary and see someone else smoking as well, I mean god, there's nothing worse when you've broken up with cigarettes and seeing someone else smoking, you think god damn you and your happiness with nicotine. Um... and ah, then the coughing started, you know just when you think you're really over it the coughing starts. But then finally you do get out, you put your trainers on, you run and you realise you can walk up hills without getting breathless, so um I'm over it now.
C: You're on the bounce-back now, you're on the bounce-back.
B: I'm okay. I'm on the bounce-back. I wouldn't say I'm on the rebound 'cause that's really dangerous with cigarettes. It's been a clean break for me. Um, I mean, you know, every now and again I'd have a look but I wouldn't touch [one] you know, um yeah, so that's uh, that's definitely been my worst break up story.
C: Okay, well if anyone calls us in the next five minutes what's one question can we have from you, Benedict?
B: Uh, oh er... do you... do you have a lucky pair of underpants?
C: [laughter] And Benedict, do you have a lucky pair?
B: I can't answer my own question, that's not fair! [laughs]
C: [laughter] Well listen Benedict, thank you very much for ruining your vocal chords by giving us a call...
B: That's alright, it's been a pleasure.
C: And also supporting such a great charity as well, Save the Children for the Syrian appeal, good on you. We look forward to seeing you back as Sherlock. Thank you very much for giving us a call.
B: Thank you very much too Christian, lovely to speak to you. Have a lovely morning.
C: [cheers?] Bye
B: Bye.

---

Last edited by ukaunz (October 10, 2015 12:13 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 10, 2015 9:50 am  #7

Thanks for the link, and the transcript! (the phone did muffle him a bit)

He's so funny and lovely, isn't he? Great humour! Gosh it must have been hard to break up with the cigs!

And darn it, I want to know the answer to his question!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 10, 2015 12:10 pm  #8

@ ukaunz
You are my hero!

Last edited by JP (October 10, 2015 12:12 pm)

October 10, 2015 12:14 pm  #9

No worries, it was my pleasure, I got to listen to him over and over

October 11, 2015 12:51 am  #10

Oh my gosh, thank you, too!!  Believe I've mentioned not being the best of hearing, either.
And cripes, he is adorable sometimes in interviews when tries to jokingly play off things, like the 'relationship', yet reading between the lines, such a humorous gentleman still, probably instantly thinking he didn't want to talk bad about any real-life relationship…  and then where the heck his mind instantly jumped, coming up with a question for the next person???   That was great.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera