BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2015 2:24 pm  #1

Help with a fic!

Heya!

I'm wondering if anybody is willing to give me some advice in regards to the plot of a fic I'm writing. It's partially a case fic, and I've never written one of those, and I'm rather rubbish with them. Particularly because in this story, the villain is not a person, but rather a company (owned by Victor...)

If anyone has a couple of spare minutes to have their brain picked, give me a shout and I'll message you

October 1, 2015 3:57 am  #2

Re: Help with a fic!

Did someone help you already? If not, feel free to contact me.

Last edited by Schmiezi (October 1, 2015 3:58 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 1, 2015 9:07 am  #3

No! I'll message you, thanks

October 1, 2015 10:14 am  #4

Hi, are you still interested? I'm not a very experienced writer but most of what I've written are case fics and I love the genre. Feel free to contact me. 

October 1, 2015 10:24 am  #5

Maybe I can help you a bit as well. I always try to include cases in my fan fic writing. Don't know if it always works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 1, 2015 10:47 am  #6

Thanks guys - will message you!! xx

January 26, 2016 9:35 am  #7

I'm just about finished my fic and giving it a final polish, but I'm stuck on a sentence construction. I've read it too many times now that I can't decide which one sounds right:

- John slowly trod back into the room
- John trod slowly back into the room
- John trod back into the room slowly

Ugh, it shouldn't be this hard! Someone help please?

Or should I just get rid of the sentence altogether?

Last edited by ukaunz (January 26, 2016 11:28 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 26, 2016 2:10 pm  #8

I think the third one is awkward.  Either the first or second one or fine, though I'm leaning towards the second one if you ask me.

Clueing for looks.

January 26, 2016 2:17 pm  #9

Is the word "trod" just awkward anyway? Maybe I should just rethink the whole sentence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 26, 2016 3:02 pm  #10

While you have given the line out of context, I don't see anything wrong with the word.

Clueing for looks.

January 26, 2016 4:55 pm  #11

No it's fine and I agree the 2nd is best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 26, 2016 6:30 pm  #12

I am also voting on the second one. Good luck writing! 

I also posted this somewhere else... but, I was working on My Adler/original female character fic... (the story is very therapeutic for me and originally I started writing it assuming no one would ever read it)... 
Well... I've had this scene planned for a while that involves the young woman being made to whip one of Adler's clients... and it so happens my awful ex recently contacted me, and in thread with the fic being therapeutic I imagined the man being him... 
I am still puzzling with whether or not I should use his name... only his first name mind. Just as a final 'f*ck you'. (not that I think he'd ever read the thing despite that he does have the link)
I am also considering Adler despite her confidentiality telling the young woman a bit about the man... which will of course be about my ex... 

Is this a horrible idea, I am aware I'm not thinking all that clearly... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 26, 2016 10:39 pm  #13

Well, it depends on how badly you want to let it out by posting it without changes in that way.  You can always use a similar name instead of the actual one...or a version of the name in a different language, if that helps.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera