BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2015 11:10 am  #1

Advice on something silly

I would like your opinion on something...it's super silly so be prepared! Basically today at work I received an email telling me that I won an ipad mini. Yay, right?! This is the first time I win something like this.

So anyway, I went to pick it up and everything...but now I'm wondering what to do with it, because I already have an Ipad mini - which I bought with my own money about 3 years ago. Obviously, I'm happy about my win and I would like to keep it - thinking maybe I can use it once my old ipad stops working (can't last forever, right?) so I don't have to spend money to buy another one (I use it for basically everything since I can't buy a new laptop).

But then I feel guilty, thinking I should give it to my boyfriend, or to my parents (they don't really use gadgets much - they can't even text! mostly just to call me on skype - but my mum has a tablet already for that).

I'm aware this is a silly question and terribly 'first world problem', so please forgive me. I just feel guilty all the time so today is no different - and it's stopping me from enjoying the idea of having won something!

September 30, 2015 11:34 am  #2

Re: Advice on something silly

You can sell it? Or you can bring the old one with you in your bag when going out, and leave the new at home? Thus it will be in better condition. 

Or you can give your old iPad away to your boyfriend or parents and keep the new one. It's probably a newer version?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 30, 2015 12:16 pm  #3

You could donate it to charity.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 30, 2015 2:06 pm  #4

It is very nice of you to consider giving this prize away to someone else who might want it, especially since you already have one yourself.

However, you should not feel guilty about having two.  You won it - it's yours.  If you want to give it away, that would be nice of you.  But there is no reason you should feel bad for not doing so.

That being said, you listed two options; (1) Keep the new one as a replacement until your old one dies, or (2) Give the new one away.

There's also a third option - keep the new one for yourself (since it's "fresher"), and give the old one away.  This way, you get to keep the new one you won, and you give something to someone that they don't have.  [EDIT] I see Vhanja has already made this suggestion!

Whatever choice you make, there is no reason to feel guilty.  Enjoy your experience to its fullest.

September 30, 2015 2:16 pm  #5

I have to agree, you shouldn't feel bad about having two, you won it fair and square! 

All the ideas I had has already been given before. 

If it was me I'd probably sell the old one to my mother and keep the new one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 30, 2015 2:30 pm  #6

Thanks guys. I would feel bad about selling my old one to my mum or boyfriend - but you're right, I should not feel guilty. I still do, but I'm trying to tell myself not to.

I'll think about it for a bit. Perhaps I'll give my old one to my boyfriend...

Board footera