BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2015 3:04 pm  #1

Would Sherlock Dislike You?

Honestly, I think Sherlock would absolutly hate me. What about you guys? I'm really curious about your explanations to why? Have a nice day! 

Would Sherlock Like You?

x SherlockianPrincess 

August 3, 2015 3:20 pm  #2

Re: Would Sherlock Dislike You?

No, he wouldn't like me. I would be dull, boring and predictable. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 3, 2015 3:31 pm  #3

There's a very, very small chance he might.
As I never know what I'll do until I actually do it, if I ever did something he'd find deem interesting...I think he might.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 3, 2015 4:23 pm  #4

Guess not so much.

But I can cook the tea, be very loyal, I really don't mind difficult people, and I'm always game for the Unexpected. I also love being spontaneous, but can also be patient if needed, my morals are similar to John's. I definitely would tell him that he's amazing.
That's my small chance.

I once had a friend who reminded me very much of Sherlock. I got along with her very well, although it was a struggle for me sometimes. Haha, sometimes I even thought: what would John do? Still, in the end she lost interest in our friendship. If that's any indication, I'd say he would maybe like me for a while until he knows everything that might be interesting about me, and then he'd drop me and not care anymore I'm no John.

"It is what it is."

August 3, 2015 9:56 pm  #5

No, it's very unlikely he'd like me - even notice/see me in general. In his eyes I think I'd be too emotional. I often have strong feelings (positive and negative ones) and I like to show them - or rather said I cannot always control them.
Moreover, although being quite bright and knowing a lot I "see but don't observe" - the reason is simple: it takes to much effort! I'm not interested in everything happening around me. Honestly, I don't want to walk in Sherlock's shoes: all this seeing, thinking, combining, deducing ... my brain would explode and I could hardly relax!
No, I don't think that Sherlock and I would get good friends - but that doesn't stop me from admiring and adoring him from distance ;-).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 4, 2015 12:44 am  #6

I said small chance, because I obviously don't know for sure.  I'm a smart person, curious, even if I don't always notice everything I do notice things that people around me don't notice, on a fairly regular basis.  Or I think of solutions to problems that they didn't, even if to me they seemed obvious.  But I can't really humour myself, because I'm still not as brilliant or knowledgable.  I like film, TV, books, culture, which are things that Sherlock isn't interested in.  So I feel we could only get along in the principle that we would balance in some way, him with technical and scientific and myself with the cultural. Or perhaps it would not balance, and instead only clash.  Though my knowledge is eclectic, I know I interest myself in things Sherlock doesn't, culture as I mentioned before and astronomy ( lol ).  So maybe something about me would be interesting, maybe not.  Though I don't think I'd be as boring as some other people.  Maybe he'd appreciate my ability to keep secrets?
Either that or he'd pretend to like me, nothing more.

Last edited by Yitzock (August 4, 2015 12:45 am)

Clueing for looks.

August 4, 2015 7:02 am  #7

No, he wouldn't like me. Because I have one of thoses funny little brains who can't compete with Sherlock's.
But maybe there is a very small chance... if I would start some of the actions about which some people say: "That's absolutely crazy."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 4, 2015 3:24 pm  #8

Yes, I'd say a certain amount of eccentricity would make a difference, though I suppose it might depend on the situation.

Another hting that would not work in my favour is sometimes I forget little things, sometimes I can remind myself of them, but there are little things that I can forget.  Although there are also times when I remember little things, so I don't know.

Clueing for looks.

August 4, 2015 4:09 pm  #9

The reason I say Sherlock would dislike me is not to degrade myself in any way. But when I read the starter post of this thread, I was reminded of something Benedict said in an interview. I'm unable to find the interview so I don't remember the exact quote. But it was something about people tending to romantizing Sherlock and going "Oooh, would love to meet and talk with him!", when all Sherlock would do would be to deduce their innermost fears and secrets, say it out loud rude and coldy, and then already be bored with them.

There is, literally, only a handful of people in this world that keeps Sherlock interest for more than five seconds. I don't delude myself into thinking I*m one of them.

Last edited by Vhanja (August 4, 2015 4:09 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 4, 2015 4:44 pm  #10

I was thinking about that if Sherlock would like me or not if I were met him in the person. 

Well, I would say he would be strongly dislikes me, because I am not like him who is so brilliant and clever for everything. I'm not quite as good at observe as Sherlock does. I also not intelligent as much as him. Well, I'm sometimes clever but not very clever like him, like how he knows about deep details. Science, murder, relationship, things like that, you know?
Also, I can be silly person, so I could imagine Sherlock would find me so stupid as a child. Hehe, he can be strict when it comes to sillyness and crazyness. I guess Sherlock, himself would find intelligents people so "rather fun". He would views me as "Little funny brain is very boring" on the other side. 
But never mind, I don't mind if he dislikes me. I'm still sweet lady who like to help people. I'm sure Sherlock would use me whenever he needs for the case, but I would be not very good at helping him with the case as I would not understand about the situation. So I would leave John to it. -shrugs- 

"I like detective stories - and detectives. Brainy is the new sexy." - Irene Adler
"Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain....You're on the side of the angels." - Jim Moriarty

August 4, 2015 5:12 pm  #11

Um ... but all people of Sherlock's inner circle aren't like him. John, his absolutely best friend, isn't as smart as Sherlock, Lestrade isn't as smart as him and neither is Molly (or Mrs Hudson). So why do Sherlock like these people aroung him at all? It can't be their cleverness or general uniqueness (quite a strange phrase ...).
So what do all these friends of Sherlock's have in common? Why do he like them? maybe just because they accept him the way he is. And he is used to them, to their behaviour, their character traits.
Maybe we all underestimate ourselves: If we had the chance of really meeting and being together with Sherlock for a longer period, he's maybe accept and even like us

August 5, 2015 12:05 pm  #12

I think he wants loyalty, someone to stick with him no matter how strange he acts.
The ones who are moderately clever are not his close friends (Irene, Moriarty).
He probably would even dislike it if someone else would get praise for their cleverness. He likes being "the only one".

"It is what it is."

August 5, 2015 1:51 pm  #13

Yes, Sherlock would probably dislike me (if he wouldn't simply ignore me). Unless he really likes to defend his deductions and to explain everything he does. I no longer accept everything somebody tells me, to the annoyance of teachers, policemen and utility companies...

"What do you mean, the ring was dirty? A ring gets washed and polished every time the wearer washes and dries her hands..." "Why do you classify fibres by tensile strength? The majority of people use burn tests, diameter or a microscope. And how did you test it anyway? And by the way, have you had fibres from the same individual but from different years? Or from spring and autumn shearing? How big is the difference?" "You must be joking! You didn't get that from looking through a microscope!"

August 5, 2015 3:54 pm  #14

Kittyhawk wrote:

"What do you mean, the ring was dirty? A ring gets washed and polished every time the wearer washes and dries her hands..." "Why do you classify fibres by tensile strength? The majority of people use burn tests, diameter or a microscope. And how did you test it anyway? And by the way, have you had fibres from the same individual but from different years? Or from spring and autumn shearing? How big is the difference?" "You must be joking! You didn't get that from looking through a microscope!"

*ggg* Excellent! He would HATE such questions and most likely the person asking them. But you're absolutely right, not all conclusions he draws are that clear without ambiguity!

August 5, 2015 10:08 pm  #15

I had thouth about the fact that the people that Sherlock is close with are not as smart as him, but even so none of them are stupid. Still hard to say.  If accepting him as he is is one thing, then I think that would be in all of our favours.  But I think there has to be something that makes them not boring.  Mrs. Hudson wanted to get rid of her husband, she did typing for the drug cartel.  Molly is in science, helps him get bodies.  John is John, military man with a thirst for excitement and strong values.  Lestrade works at the Yard, gets him cases.  Hard to say whether any of us would be interesting enough to be appealing, though I already listed in my first post what might work in favour of me, thirst for knowledge, ability to keep secrets.  Ther's also, I suppose, my acceptance and love of diversity.  But I don't know whether any of that could be right.  I don't know whether he likes quick-witted humour (which in person I can be quite good at) in conversations.  He might think I laugh too much (sometimes I feel that about myself).

Clueing for looks.

August 31, 2015 6:53 am  #16

Haha, I like you challenging some questionable deductions, Kittyhawk! 

Vhanja wrote:

The reason I say Sherlock would dislike me is not to degrade myself in any way. But when I read the starter post of this thread, I was reminded of something Benedict said in an interview. I'm unable to find the interview so I don't remember the exact quote. But it was something about people tending to romantizing Sherlock and going "Oooh, would love to meet and talk with him!", when all Sherlock would do would be to deduce their innermost fears and secrets, say it out loud rude and coldy, and then already be bored with them.

There is, literally, only a handful of people in this world that keeps Sherlock interest for more than five seconds. I don't delude myself into thinking I*m one of them.

This thing Ben said strikes my curiosity.. sometimes I think "bring it on, I know my fears and shortcomings already and would have a thing or two to say about you, too.."  Could be interesting. 

On the other hand I think Benedict just referred to fawning fangirls approaching Sherlock in this interview.. judging from how he treated "normal" people like Sarah, Soo Lin, Amanda etc I guess he might as well be decent, though not overly interested, if you somehow got to meet him. For him to actively dislike you you probably have to be reeally annoyingly slow, stupid and/or entitled..

August 31, 2015 6:54 pm  #17

Zatoichi wrote:

Haha, I like you challenging some questionable deductions, Kittyhawk! 

Vhanja wrote:

This thing Ben said strikes my curiosity.. sometimes I think "bring it on, I know my fears and shortcomings already and would have a thing or two to say about you, too.."  Could be interesting. 

On the other hand I think Benedict just referred to fawning fangirls approaching Sherlock in this interview.. judging from how he treated "normal" people like Sarah, Soo Lin, Amanda etc I guess he might as well be decent, though not overly interested, if you somehow got to meet him. For him to actively dislike you you probably have to be reeally annoyingly slow, stupid and/or entitled..

In Sherlock's eyes 99,9% of mankind is like that ...

August 31, 2015 7:11 pm  #18

I think he'd like me. I'm more comfortable around rather eccentric, kooky people-- and I happen to be one. And-- well-- I'm definitely an odd bird, myself. :-)

August 31, 2015 7:12 pm  #19

Kittyhawk wrote:

Yes, Sherlock would probably dislike me (if he wouldn't simply ignore me). Unless he really likes to defend his deductions and to explain everything he does. I no longer accept everything somebody tells me, to the annoyance of teachers, policemen and utility companies...

Actually, I think he'd like you. You're a thinker! :-D

November 7, 2015 2:04 am  #20

I actually like this question a lot, because it's so open-ended.

I personally think it should have been asked from the other angle - "Would Sherlock Like You?" - because I feel his dislike is the default, so asking if he did like you would illustrate the exception.

Anyhoo ... I think it would depend on the context.

If I bumped into this character randomly on the street, then I can say with full confidence that there is absolutely nothing about myself he might see that would make him like me.

On the other hand - being a skilled professional in my field, if he came to me for specific advice (that I was capable of handling), then I feel he might actually give liking me a chance.

There is a precedent for this, too. Sherlock (and Mycroft) had initial negative opinions of Howard Shilcott, the guy from TEH who showed Sherlock the footage of the Tube. Once this man proved his intelligence and eagerness to help, however, I think that Sherlock began to give him a bit more respect.

So, like every answer to a great question ... "it depends".

Board footera