BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2015 11:26 am  #1

Guardian´s article about Benedict´s fortune

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 27, 2015 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Guardian´s article about Benedict´s fortune

*sigh*  Just lovely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 27, 2015 12:58 pm  #3

Now that was a lovely read 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 27, 2015 1:11 pm  #4

Oh, what a nice article.

"the otherworldly angles of his bone structure" that's always important to mention!

"It is what it is."

July 27, 2015 1:16 pm  #5

They truly are otherworldly! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 27, 2015 3:32 pm  #6

lol That line made me chuckle.  But I really enjoyed reading it, and it sounds like he would be a good person to work with, though even if I go into film I will probably never be privy to that honour.  Still, nice stories there.

Clueing for looks.

July 27, 2015 8:32 pm  #7

Nice to have a positive article rather than something negative about Cumberbitches not being happy for him or going on about Johnlock fan fic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 27, 2015 8:35 pm  #8

True. And the Guardian has not always been positive so I take this as a good sign for Hamlet. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 27, 2015 10:07 pm  #9

Cool! Seems to be a serious article explaining the different steps of Benedict's career so far! And don't forget "the sharpness of his suits and cheekbones", ladies :-).
By the way, why is his surname Cumberbatch, when none of his parents has got this name??

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 27, 2015 10:29 pm  #10

I don't know whether his mother took the name, but I know that his father's full name includes "Cumberbatch," as Benedict's includes "Carlton," but his father shortened his name for what he'd be known by in public.

Clueing for looks.

July 28, 2015 6:40 am  #11

In 18. century, the name of their family was indeed "Carlton" (Carleton). One of Ben´s ancestors, Abraham, then adapted the name "Cumberbatch" from his maternal grandfather, because the old man stated in his will that he must do it if he wants to inherit after him. From that time the men in this family use "Carlton" as a middle name and "Cumberbatch" as their surname, althrough technically they are both surnames.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 28, 2015 6:23 pm  #12

Perfect research, nakahara :-)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 28, 2015 8:52 pm  #13

A lovely article indeed!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera