BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2015 3:41 pm  #1

Colditz

Dan and I just finished watching this old BBC programme (done way back from 1972-74) and loved it all over again!

It was only 28 episodes (now that seems like a lot compared to Sherlock) but came to a natural conclusion when the POW camp was liberated near the end of the war. 

Probably done on a shoestring budget (they did most of the outside scenes in Scotland I think) with very few sets but what writing!  Some of the most important episodes were written by Ivan Moffat (now relation to Sherlock's Moffat that I know of) who was in on a lot of highly successful and praised movies (Shane, Tender is the Night, A Place in the Sun, Giant, etc). 

The acting wasn't bad either - especially on David McCallum's part and Jack Hedley and Bernard Hepton. Robert Wagner also had a recurring role in the series (he went on in later years to guest star on NCIS in which David McCallum is a regular cast member of) but I was never much of a fan of his acting style and he didn't do anything to change my mind on this. 

Dan is pretty well an expert on anything that has to pertain to WWII and he was very impressed with the accuracy of the historical aspects of the show (including all the little details about the jargon used by flyers on the show). 

If you are into historical dramas about WWII or POWs (like I am) then you don't get much better than this on TV in my opinion.  Well written, complex characters and a lot of fine acting.  Who could ask for anything more!

If it isn't on TV in your area most of the show is available on Youtube (I think only one episode is missing in the English version).

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

July 6, 2015 8:13 pm  #2

Re: Colditz

I watched Colditz avidly all those years ago. The episode that really stuck in my mind was the one about the prisoner who feigned madness with tragic results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 8, 2015 4:10 pm  #3

Re: Colditz

Thanks Davina for the reply. 

That episode was a real gripper, wasn't it?  One of my favourites as well.  The other one that I love was the one that had Simon Carter being sentenced to death for not saluting the over-zealous German officer doctor.  Well acted by McCallum when he learned of the harsh punishment.  The scene of him alone in his cell, looking at the picture of his wife was heart wrenching.

The Camp Kommandant (known only by his first name of Karl) was also a favourite character of mine.  He was so proper and yet there was so much humanity in him behind his stiff exterior.  Very honourable man. 

Just a great series all round. 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera