BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2015 11:35 am  #1

Jack Taylor

Irish/German co-production. Set in Galway (ROI) with some sets filmed at the Bremen studios. Based on novels about an ex-Gardai (police) Private Eye, who wears an old-style Garda issue greatcoat,  with 'issues' some of which revolve around copious amounts of  alcohol. There are 6 feature length films (11/2hr): The Guards, The Pikemen, The Magdalene Murders, The Dramatist, The Priest and Shot Down. Most, but not all, have a particular Irish slant and certainly puts certain key aspects of relatively recent Irish history under scrutiny, many of which are disturbing (to put it mildly). The excellent cast includes Iain Glen, which I gladly confess was my main initial reason for watching. It is available on UK Netflix and has been on Sky channels.

I recommend this. It is definitely not Sherlock...but there is fantastic character development as the series progresses and you find out, gradually, why Jack has the issues he does and the impact these events in Ireland have upon the individual psyche. It also looks at how 'blame' and 'guilt' are often apportioned wrongly by individuals (particularly them blaming themselves when they are not to blame at all). Whilst being really upsetting at times it also has some very, very funny counterpoints.

The style is more European than N.American although it has a distinct film noir feel due to Jack's voice overs (many of which are, frankly, hilarious!) It does have a lot of swearing in it (just as an advisory), has a fair number of violent action (some proper beatings) and parts are, as I mentioned, disturbing and upsetting.

I really hope they make some more of these!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 22, 2015 1:45 pm  #2

Re: Jack Taylor

Looks interesting, and the first series even is available on DVD in Germany. What you mention about the film noir style and the voice over sounds particularly interesting to me.
Nevertheless I'm a bit sceptical, because this has been co-produced by the German channel ZDF. They also co-produced "The Team" (starring Lars Mikkelsen) recently, which was kind of okay but nothing I would want to watch again. And I'd say they have a reputation for mediocre productions...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 23, 2015 2:56 pm  #3

Re: Jack Taylor

It is a co-production in name but is really pretty much an RTE production. Just the studio filming in Bremen (the sets are really spot-on from what I can tell & I wouldn't have known they were in Germany rather than ROI) and the writer/s seem Scandinavian (by name) which lends a slight Nordic feel. I think the co-production is more for finance and screening rights. It is very, very distinctly Irish in feel, despite Iain being Scottish.  It is definitely a proper series of films with good character development. Very 'gritty'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera