BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2015 11:39 am  #1

BBC "Sherlock" Fanfiction for Canon Addicts

https://archiveofourown.org/collections/BBC_Sherlock_Fanfiction_for_Canon_Addicts

I couldn't find any mention of this here in the forum, so I present the collection for the benefit of those who are new to Sherlock fanfiction. I think it's a perfect starting point as the stories are all well-written and canon-compliant - no stretching of the imagination required.

June 16, 2015 3:17 am  #2

Re: BBC "Sherlock" Fanfiction for Canon Addicts

Thanks for posting this Kittyhawk, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into these fanfiics

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, 2015 4:26 am  #3

Kittyhawk wrote:

https://archiveofourown.org/collections/BBC_Sherlock_Fanfiction_for_Canon_Addicts

I couldn't find any mention of this here in the forum, so I present the collection for the benefit of those who are new to Sherlock fanfiction. I think it's a perfect starting point as the stories are all well-written and canon-compliant - no stretching of the imagination required.

The collection is interesting, thank you.

I just don't understand why you suggest "new" readers might need it. Stretching the imagination is not a problem for many people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 16, 2015 4:41 am  #4

Well, I've enjoyed all the fanfiics that I've read from this collection so far. I just finished reading the two "Murder at the Ashram" stories by Boton and Jolie_Black, they were brilliantly funny! So clever... although I'll never get the hideous idea of Andercroft out of my mind... *shudder*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, 2015 4:54 am  #5

"Andercroft"...? If that is what I think it is, it would need a tremendous stretch of my imagination to make this work.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 16, 2015 7:00 am  #6

Read Murder at the Ashram and the sequel Murder at the Ashram Revisted, it's not quite what you're probably thinking...

Last edited by ukaunz (June 16, 2015 7:07 am)

June 16, 2015 7:48 am  #7

"Andercroft"??
*running away and hiding*

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 16, 2015 8:37 am  #8

mrshouse wrote:

"Andercroft"??
*running away and hiding*

Could you move a bit to the right? I'd like to join you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, 2015 9:01 am  #9

Here you go, dear, have a bit of the shock blanket and biscuits for sudden low blood sugar.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 16, 2015 9:16 am  #10

Sorry, but if there is a trigger for me, it is not "Andercroft" but "Warstan". 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2015 9:33 am  #11

*shudder*

June 16, 2015 9:55 am  #12

Whatever it is out of the two of them: it's not Canon, that's for sure. Anderson shouldn't even be there in the first place if it's supposed to be canonical.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 16, 2015 10:28 am  #13

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, but if there is a trigger for me, it is not "Andercroft" but "Warstan". 

Wow, you really know how to make us feel better. o.o

June 16, 2015 10:29 am  #14

That is why Susi is a mod and we aren't, Schmiezi.

June 16, 2015 10:41 am  #15

Always my pleasure, ladies. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 16, 2015 12:13 pm  #16

Schmiezi wrote:

I just don't understand why you suggest "new" readers might need it. Stretching the imagination is not a problem for many people.

I thought that "old" readers would already have discovered it, probably long before me! And I may be oldfashioned, but when I am getting into a new fandom, I want more of what I saw on the show - otherwise I'd be reading something else entirely.

As for the Ashram-Stories: In order to get the joke, you'll have to read the authors' remarks. Or even better, start with the discussion to "Ground Rules" by GhyllWyne.

I wrote I'd skip Mycroft/Anderson only a few days ago, but I still read Murder at the Ashram with great enjoyment, because I knew it was a joke (and SolarSystem, have you actually read it? Isn't Anderson allowed to spend his holidays wherever he likes?) I did skip the story (elsewhere on AO3) which seemed to seriously imply Anderlock, though... (nope, didn't stay long enough to verify the facts, thank you very much. )

What is Warstan?

By the way, are there other Sherlock-collections on AO3 that would be good to know? I haven't found a way to search for collections, I only hit upon the Canon Addicts by chance (via a story I liked at that was in there).

Last edited by Kittyhawk (June 16, 2015 12:24 pm)

June 16, 2015 12:49 pm  #17

Warstan stands for John Watson/Mary Morstan fics in which they are usually presented in a happy relationship. Not quite Canon-compliant, if you ask me. 

June 16, 2015 1:59 pm  #18

What about Hudlock? That's a ship that makes me a little queasy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 16, 2015 2:34 pm  #19

For me the worst of all is still Sherlock/Mycroft.  *shudder*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 16, 2015 3:03 pm  #20

Oh yes... *shuddershudder*
It's not exactly according to canon, as this thread was started, sorry Kitty, but has anyone read a nice Molly/Lestrade fic?

Board footera