BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2015 2:11 am  #1

It's now Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch CBE

According to the Daily Mail (I thought about this "source" and decided I should amend the title of this thread to include the word "rumoured")  Ben is about to receive the prestigious honour of being made a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) this coming Saturday by the Queen herself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3119257/Benedict-Cumberbatch-set-receive-CBE-Queen-s-birthday-honours-services-drama.html

What an honour!  I hope this is true and, if it is true, I hope there will be photos at the investiture.   

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (June 12, 2015 10:29 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

June 11, 2015 7:02 am  #2

Re: It's now Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch CBE

Thank you for the information, it would be a great honour to Benedict. What I do not like is the negativity of the arcticle but the Daily Mail has established itself as being not a friend of Benedict's for quite a long time so this does not come as a real surprise. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 11, 2015 7:23 am  #3

Wow, if this is true it will certainly be a huge honour for him! 

Congrats to him if it is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 11, 2015 8:55 am  #4

Oh, wow, that would be great. What is the criteria to receive such an honour? I thought such things only went to those who had been in the industry for fifty years or something?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 11, 2015 9:12 am  #5

If it's true let's hope it doesn' interfere with the delivery room
@Vhanja, I checked wikipedia, but it doesn't really list criteria.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 11, 2015 12:11 pm  #6

Here's the government site that lists the different honours and criteria...

https://www.gov.uk/honours/types-of-honours-and-awards

Specifically, for the CBE it doesn't say anything about length of time the honouree has to make the contribution in order to be eligible for the award (whereas it does for the higher honours)...

Commander of the British Empire

This is awarded for having a prominent but lesser role at national level, or a leading role at regional level. You can also get one for a distinguished, innovative contribution to any area.

I know since the original announcement was made in the Daily Mail (and yes, I totally agree, it was presented in a very snarky negative tone by them) I am suspicious about the validity of the article.

But I guess we don't have to wait that long for a more reparable confirmation (the official list will be out on Friday), so we will find out for sure very soon.

I really hope it is true.  I think he is totally deserving of such an honour.  Couldn't happen to more lovely and talented fellow.  It would give me such a warm, glowing feeling to know he had been recognised in such a distinguished manner.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 11, 2015 12:25 pm  #7

Now, isn't this much better than a BAFTA? 

scnr 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 11, 2015 12:28 pm  #8

Dear Daily Fail,

You are cordially invited to kiss my very large white behind.

no love,

tonnaree

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 11, 2015 12:29 pm  #9

I love you, girl! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 11, 2015 2:24 pm  #10

Benedict would definitely be in good company, that list is looooong, from Colin Firth to Stephen Hawking...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 11, 2015 3:37 pm  #11

Harriet wrote:

I love you, girl!

*blush*   xoxoxoxoxox

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 11, 2015 4:10 pm  #12

SolarSystem wrote:

Benedict would definitely be in good company, that list is looooong, from Colin Firth to Stephen Hawking...

And Kate Winslet who like Ben was in her 30's when she became a CBE (she was 36, so a few years younger than he will be when/if he gets one)... 

http://ris.fashion.telegraph.co.uk/RichImageService.svc/imagecontent/1/TMG9693992/m/kate-winslet-g_2405630a.jpg

Here's what the medal for men looks like -
http://www.medal-medaille.com/images/GB693a.jpg

It seems like a very formal affair (from the pictures I have seen) - kneeling before the Queen (or other member of the royal family), having the medal hung around the neck of the recipiant while a citation is read.      

I can just picture him there, looking all dignified and handsome... I do hope this will happen.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 11, 2015 4:55 pm  #13

Interesting, though we still don't know for sure if Daily Mail (ugh) is the only source.  Still, I would say he's made some significant contribuations in his career, and he's on his way to make more.  
Just to be clear, this is different than being knighted, right?
Still, amazing that this is a possibility, this high honour.  He would indeed be in very good company.  Please keep us posted!

Clueing for looks.

June 11, 2015 5:49 pm  #14

He definitely is on the young side for being an actor (and has had a relatively short period of national/international fame, despite having been acting for many years), so well done, Benedict!

@Yitzock, no, it's not quite a knighthood - but higher than OBE and MBE, so pretty impressive, and yes, very formal, I believe.

(As for the Daily Mail - it's difficult to read it without getting wound up about something, and they really seem to have it in for a big list of people, with biased, slanted articles in my opinion.  It's very irritating because so many people read it - I just hope that people notice and don't judge people just based on what's printed there). 

June 11, 2015 7:08 pm  #15

Sooner or later it will happen, I'm quite sure.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

June 12, 2015 4:19 am  #16

It has been on the German radio yesterday. (1Live if someone wonders.) I'd say that's a more reliable source than The Daily Fail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 12, 2015 7:18 am  #17

Schmiezi wrote:

It has been on the German radio yesterday. (1Live if someone wonders.) I'd say that's a more reliable source than The Daily Fail.

Always depends on where they've got their information from, did they name a source? Maybe their source is The Daily Fail? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 12, 2015 8:36 am  #18

Gosh, I hate the Fail. Now they are bringing a big article on how Benedict does not deserve the (still not confirmed) honour, rubbing in that he has not even won a major acting award. There is only one way to make this paper useful. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 12, 2015 9:09 am  #19

Folding little planes? 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 12, 2015 9:29 am  #20

That'd be cool indeed. Is it announced yet?
The Independent has taken up on it, in any case. They quote The Sun :D

I suppose it's true nevertheless. Maybe only because I trust the DailyMail to stick their nose in all things and dig around to know first.

Now I wonder which papers Benedict reads.

edit:Ah, just found out it's announced tonight.

Last edited by Whisky (June 12, 2015 9:37 am)

"It is what it is."

Board footera