BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2015 10:39 am  #1

Benedict Cumberbatch supports friend James Rhodes at Supreme Court

I'm not sure if this thread should be in a different forum (current affairs?), please let me know if I should move it.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/20/concert-pianist-james-rhodes-wins-right-to-publish-autobiography

I hadn't heard anything about this case until it popped up on Google a few minutes ago. It's good news though!

Let me know if it's okay and I can post some pictures here, too...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 20, 2015 11:49 am  #2

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch supports friend James Rhodes at Supreme Court

Interesting case and a very turbulent, hard situation for the musician who suffered so much. Still, I´m glad he won - I hope it will raise an awareness about this kind of child-abuse and at the same time will help James to come to term with things that happened to him when he would be finally able to relate it to other people. It must be terribly depressing to bear this cross alone.

Kudos to Benedict for supporting him.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 20, 2015 11:56 am  #3

I just posted pics from this, and was about to see what it was all about. Thank you for sharing!

I'm happy he won, and happy to see Benedict supporting his friend. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 20, 2015 2:38 pm  #4

Sad story, but it's good to know that he will be allowed to tell it.  As is referenced in the article, it's important for victims to be able to speak out.  It's great that Benedict supported his friend on this, helping to break the silence.

Clueing for looks.

May 20, 2015 5:59 pm  #5

I have no words 

BC statement http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32807445

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 20, 2015 6:23 pm  #6

Lovely statement.  Very eloquent and heartfelt.

Clueing for looks.

May 20, 2015 6:34 pm  #7

I am very glad to see that James Rhodes won the case although it is terrible that he had to go through this at all.  What moved me very much was James saying that he was so privileged and still had to fight 14 months in order to be able to write freely about his experience and that one should think of all the people who have to fight alone and are not supported by wealth and prominent friends. 

And wonderful to see Benedict supporting him. I also liked the short video in which a reporter is going after him and he just tells the man "ask James". 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 20, 2015 7:18 pm  #8

I am not sure if this has been posted yet but here is a BBC news report with a short interview with James Rhodes that includes his mention that Ben's appearance today in court (at about the 7:27 minute mark) was a surprise to him (and he loved Ben's gesture of support for him during this emotional time) and he especially was appreciative of the fact that Ben's appearance at his side this morning came at a time when he "is about to become a father" - so I take that as a confirmation that Sphie hasn't yet given birth as of  today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rtv83

You can here the joy in James' voice when he mentions Ben's upcoming baby about to be born.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

May 20, 2015 7:25 pm  #9

I think this was an important case.  I can understand James' ex being concerned for their child.  But the answer should never be censorship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 20, 2015 8:36 pm  #10

My heart hurts for James, I can only imagine having to go through all that, being abused is bad enough, but being 'gagged' as Ben put it, and twice even... It must have been 14 months of absolute hell. 

I am happy that this was the outcome, but it shouldn't even have been a case to start with. 

I'm happy Ben could be there to show his support, I think it was really needed today. What a great man! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 20, 2015 8:47 pm  #11

Just listened to the BBC radio piece. Very interesting to hear about the legal background. I had wondered that James had become very quiet over the last year. Unbelievable that he was forbidden to talk about child abuse or mental illness in any medium, this goes far beyond censoring a book. It was a sort of virtual muzzle. And while I understand the wish to protect your own child the mother should remember that James once was a child, too, that would have needed protection and did not get it at the time. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 21, 2015 12:17 am  #12

Amen Susi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 21, 2015 2:02 am  #13

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 21, 2015 2:27 am  #14

Last edited by ukaunz (May 21, 2015 2:29 am)

May 21, 2015 6:53 am  #15

Thank you, what a moving interview. 

May 21, 2015 9:35 am  #16

Wow. What a moving case...:'(

I heard it mentioned in passing on the news yesterday but didn't realise it was James until just now. Thank you for posting. Really fascinating and very shocking.

Great to see Ben supporting him, they're obviously really close friends, as James already mentioned in one of the interviews.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 21, 2015 9:24 pm  #17

Great, very moving interview.  Such a sad story, but the interview ends on a very uplifting note, it brought tears to my eyes,  If beautiful music exists, there must be other beautiful things in the world and there is a reason to keep going.  I think that sentiment is something that everybody should keep with them.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 21, 2015 9:24 pm)

Clueing for looks.

June 8, 2015 11:08 am  #18

So here's an excerpt from James Rhodes' book "Instrumental" in which he talks about Ben and the many ways he has helped him in his times of crisis...

http://freewomenxgrape.tumblr.com/post/121006406197/james-rhodes-on-benedict-cumberbatch-in-his

Lovely, lovely words about a truly beautiful soul.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

June 10, 2015 2:46 am  #19

*melts*

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 11, 2015 2:42 pm  #20

Yes, that description of him by James does make me melt a bit too.

And the thing is, James isn't the only one who has used such language to describe the nature and personality of BC that way. 

Just read this interview from Keira Knightley about Ben...

http://www.harpersbazaar.co.uk//people-parties/people-and-parties/man-of-the-year-keira-knightley-on-benedict-cumberbatch

The language and the sentiments are very much in the same vein as James' acknowledgements to him... kind, caring, loyal, always there when someone needs support - it is a repeated theme when anyone close to him is decribing how he is.

And he seems to extend these feelings of caring outward too - in his charity work and even when he is dealing with fans at conventions and elsewhere. 

Consistently beautiful man - inside and out.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera