BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2015 8:05 pm  #1

2015 Adobe Summit

Here's the full interview with Ben at 2015 Adobe Summit. 

Ok, wow, in this interview I actually felt a bit sorry for the poor hostess. Ben is of course intelligent and lovely as always, but MAN can he talk. And he wouldn't even allow himself to be interupted this time so she could continue the interview. He must be a nightmare for any host with on a timetable!

Having that said, some good stuff here. And some cursing! And probably the biggest new thing of it all - is he going to play David Bowie?!?! That would be AWESOME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnI1X5_nHbQ

Last edited by Vhanja (April 30, 2015 8:32 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 30, 2015 9:31 pm  #2

Re: 2015 Adobe Summit

thank you so much for this, I missed it and was hoping to be able to watch it all day.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

April 30, 2015 10:30 pm  #3

This is a very interesting interview. He does not mince words or hold back out of politeness. This does not mean he is impolite, not at all, but he is more outspoken than in some other interviews. Maybe because he is a bit of an outsider there, this is not his own industry and he does not have to promote a certain film or show on this occasion. 

And, yes, him playing Bowie in a Freddie Mercury biopic could be awesome. He said "no commen" and I seem to remember he said the same about "Dr Strange" before it was confirmed. So keeping fingers crossed. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2015 1:39 am  #4

Thank you Vhanja, I am looking for this as I am curious to what he have prepared to talk in a IT/Tech meeting.

May 1, 2015 8:28 am  #5

Such a good interview. I love watching him speak like this. He is so honest, thoughtful, eloquent, funny, insightful...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 2015 9:43 am  #6

To be honest, this is the first interview I've seen with Ben that left me a bit uncomfortable on his behalf. Yes, he was funny, intelligent and energetic. A lot of great stuff, and I still love the man to pieces.

But for the first time I felt he was a bit... pushy. He has done hundreds of these interviews, he knows how they work. He knows they have a limited amount of time and that the host runs the interview. Yet he kept interrupting her, ignored her hints to get on with the interview and even insisting on going back to topics when she wanted to move forward. It was uncomfortable watching.

I also didn't like his comment about "cause I am" about if he would have any objections to playing a really stupid character. Now, I've always loved the fact that he can be so humble and grounded despite his enormous success. The fact that he isn't full of himself and can easily and honestly praise other actors and other achievements above his own is one of the great things about him, and I think it says a lot about his a person. 

However, there's a thin line between being grounded and coming across and falsly humble. Ben might not be a genius on the level of Turing and Sherlock, but he IS without any doubht intelligent, educated and a man of great reflection and insight. It's obvious, and I don't doubt for a second that he knows that himself. So calling himself stupid comes across as a false attempt of being humble or fishing for compliments. 

I don't think he meant for either of those things, that's just how it came across to me. I love that he can be grounded and humble, but he shouldn't step over the line and become self-degrading. It doesn't suit him, because he's much to insighful and intelligent for that.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a big deal for me. I still love the man just as much as I did yesterday. It was just that those things made me a bit uncomfortable in that interview. That might actually be a good thing. Stops me from putting him on a pedastal.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 1, 2015 12:04 pm  #7

Now that you mention it... Yeah, I do remember having a little bit of a cringe at those couple of moments. There was also another bit, I can't remember what it was now... maybe it was when he said something about not being as good looking as Aidan Turner, I had a bit of an inward groan. Maybe it was something else, I can't remember. I wonder if someone will type up a transcript?

He does sometimes let his mouth run off, but I think he really has gotten to the point where he doesn't care if people like him or not. I'm sure it's not arrogance, perhaps it's just Benedict growing a thicker skin to all the slings and arrows thrown at him.

Last edited by ukaunz (May 1, 2015 12:07 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 2015 2:39 pm  #8

Well, he has always been extremely polite and has put up with lots of very stupid questions, not to mention all the hateful rumours going around since he got engaged. I have no idea how good this interviewer might  have been if she had had the chance to ask more questions but things like "Did you know about Alan Turing before?" are so redundant and have been answered by him over and over again for months on end that I cannot blame him overriding her now and then. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2015 3:57 pm  #9

I watched the youtube video of the Summit interview and found it really refreshing.  He was in a very talkative mood obviously and I did feel that near the end he was finally getting to cut loose some of his tamped down feelings about the vile things that are said about him in the media (Daily Mail etc.) and on websites that are run by a few people who make cruel, uncalled for "definitive" statements about him and his family and friends that are based on hateful imaginations, arrogance and bile (over his marrage and forthcoming child). 

And frankly, I think he was quite restrained. 

You can hear it in his voice how aware he is of this nonsense and yet at the same time how he knows, and how he tries, to distance himself from it all - it can't be easy. Especially telling when he caught himself near the end when he said "That's where the lure of social media has often raised it's head and I've gone, 'Oh I really wanna get involved with this one. I really want to punch this dickhead back. I really want to get out there and put the record straight.'  I'm not spoonfed... I'm not gonna go into them all now (I am so tempted to), the myths out there about me. But in a way that's the Trojan Horse.  That's what people want because then the cycle can continue."

That attitude shows a true maturity and intelligence.

Bravo for him for handling as well as he does.  I doubt there are very many here (including myself) who could live through what he has done in recent times (fame, expectations, demands on his time, etc.) and handled it any better.  I love his comment right near the end about "the measure of success is how much you can step away from success."  This will keep him sane in some very insane situations and bring balance to his life.     

Nothing in this interview made me raise an eyebrow.  He handled every question with the right amount of humility, intelligence, humour and grace that any human being could ever muster I thought. 

If anyone has a right to curse and rant a bit about the idiots who judge, not his work, but him as a person and his wife and life, it is Benedict Cumberbatch.  It must be an ongoing struggle not to get in the trough and wrestle with the porcine media and internet hater faction that only want to see him fail because of the way he has chosen to live his life recently.

Nothing about this interview made me feel uncomfortable with how he answered the questions.  He was genuine and engaging.  Pushy isn't even part of the equation as far as I am concerned.  Yes, his answers were long - that's the way he is.  To be succinct when he gets revved up about a topic would be false for him.  I don't think the person doing the questioning minded at all.

If anything this interview helped me see that this is a fellow who is capable of handling things that are thrown at him in a very thoughtful, balanced way and is confident in who he is and how he lives his life.  And after hearing this interview I also think there isn't a chance that he will let the craziness of the profession he is in take over his personal passions for family and friends.  This is a strong, intelligent man who lives his life as he sees fit - more power to him!

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (May 1, 2015 5:49 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

May 1, 2015 8:36 pm  #10

In case anyone wants to look up details - this blogger wrote down the whole interview:

http://freewomenxgrape.tumblr.com/post/117861543672/transcript-of-bc-at-adobesummit

May 1, 2015 10:31 pm  #11

Ah-chie wrote:

I watched the youtube video of the Summit interview and found it really refreshing.  He was in a very talkative mood obviously and I did feel that near the end he was finally getting to cut loose some of his tamped down feelings about the vile things that are said about him in the media (Daily Mail etc.) and on websites that are run by a few people who make cruel, uncalled for "definitive" statements about him and his family and friends that are based on hateful imaginations, arrogance and bile (over his marrage and forthcoming child). 

And frankly, I think he was quite restrained. 

You can hear it in his voice how aware he is of this nonsense and yet at the same time how he knows, and how he tries, to distance himself from it all - it can't be easy. Especially telling when he caught himself near the end when he said "That's where the lure of social media has often raised it's head and I've gone, 'Oh I really wanna get involved with this one. I really want to punch this dickhead back. I really want to get out there and put the record straight.'  I'm not spoonfed... I'm not gonna go into them all now (I am so tempted to), the myths out there about me. But in a way that's the Trojan Horse.  That's what people want because then the cycle can continue."

That attitude shows a true maturity and intelligence.

Bravo for him for handling as well as he does.  I doubt there are very many here (including myself) who could live through what he has done in recent times (fame, expectations, demands on his time, etc.) and handled it any better.  I love his comment right near the end about "the measure of success is how much you can step away from success."  This will keep him sane in some very insane situations and bring balance to his life.     

Nothing in this interview made me raise an eyebrow.  He handled every question with the right amount of humility, intelligence, humour and grace that any human being could ever muster I thought. 

If anyone has a right to curse and rant a bit about the idiots who judge, not his work, but him as a person and his wife and life, it is Benedict Cumberbatch.  It must be an ongoing struggle not to get in the trough and wrestle with the porcine media and internet hater faction that only want to see him fail because of the way he has chosen to live his life recently.

Nothing about this interview made me feel uncomfortable with how he answered the questions.  He was genuine and engaging.  Pushy isn't even part of the equation as far as I am concerned.  Yes, his answers were long - that's the way he is.  To be succinct when he gets revved up about a topic would be false for him.  I don't think the person doing the questioning minded at all.

If anything this interview helped me see that this is a fellow who is capable of handling things that are thrown at him in a very thoughtful, balanced way and is confident in who he is and how he lives his life.  And after hearing this interview I also think there isn't a chance that he will let the craziness of the profession he is in take over his personal passions for family and friends.  This is a strong, intelligent man who lives his life as he sees fit - more power to him!

-Val

Yes! Thank you Val, perfectly put.

May 2, 2015 1:07 am  #12

Thanks for your lovely comment ukaunz. 

While I appreciate the work that went into the transcript of the Summit interview I do wish that the person who transcribed it had taken the extra few minutes it would have required to include the questions that should go along with each answer.  Would have made it a lot more readable IMO.

And I might as well add that the only aspect about the interview that made me feel the slightest bit "uncomfortable" is not with anything that Ben said, but more to the fact that after I read that transcript I glanced at the notes and noticed that the first comment on the site was posted by someone who seems to have a pretty close association with a whole cadre of haters (I am talking about the commenter rainbowjay2 not the blogger who did the transcript).  That certainly made me cringe (and roll my eyes a bit too).  Sure he/she was all roses and compliments to the blogger for the effort it took to do the transcript, but just knowing this same two-faced person is actively participating in some of the most vile, hateful shit thrown at Ben and Sophie just gives me the creeps.  These are the disgusting types that has Ben so wound up during the later half of the interview itself - talk about lack of self awareness on the haters part!

BTW I did notice that the blogger politely asked anyone using the transcript to give credit - something that the haters definitely didn't do - I have found this very same transcript on all sorts of haters sites and they never seem to credit the person who did the transcript (but for some reason the haters really want to post it on their sites).  I don't understand that at all???  If I were them I would be ashamed to see Ben's condemnation and anger written out in black and white before them.  But again - an astonishing degree of lack of self-awareness on their part.

Just don't understand people like that at all...

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

May 2, 2015 11:29 am  #13

For me the best way is to ignore this. I did not pay attention to the notes and would not have known anything about the commenter. And I try to keep away from the hate as much as possible. This must be very unhappy people.

May 2, 2015 1:41 pm  #14

yes, some corners of the internet are better avoided. I tried to get into tumblr a while ago, but I gave that up quickly. I prefer this forum: critical if the need arises, but never full of hate. 

Last edited by Lola Red (May 2, 2015 1:42 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 2, 2015 2:00 pm  #15

In case I was misunderstood: I have no trouble whatsoever understanding Ben when it comes to such ugly things. Luckily I know very little of what that is about, and neither do I want to. Those kind of people don't deserve an ounce of anyone's time or energy.

So I didn't react at all to any of the stuff he said about that. I support him all the way when it comes to his attitudes towards fame and social media. I don't have any issue with his opinions, only with a few things concerning how he came across in this particular interview.

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2015 3:52 pm  #16

It is fine to be critical, one does not have to like everything he says or does. 

When I first read about these "haters" I was shocked. By now I have decided that it is wiser to ignore them because as you said, Vhanja, they do not deserve our attention. I hope it will die down soon and they will turn to other celebrities they can build up and tear down. 

May 2, 2015 4:30 pm  #17

Vhanja, I don't think your post wasn't clear enough. If you feel a bit uncomfortable about a couple of moments that's perfectly alright and I would never dream that this could be compared to the "haters" strolling around tumblr. That said I don't think that this is what Val wanted to say at all.
I've never heard of the above mentioned blogger and the tumblr I checked were mainly pictures. Where does it come from he or she should be related to a bunge of haters?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 2, 2015 4:34 pm  #18

I think she reblogged some things from the infamous SH gossip blog. This is all I know and care for. And I agree with Val that I simply do not understand where these feelings come from. I just think we should not give it space in here as such people do not deserve our attention. 

May 2, 2015 6:11 pm  #19

First off I never even remotely suggested or even implied in any way that Vhanja's feelings about the interview were to be compared to the haters.  What I wanted to say was quite clear - my only feelings of uncomfortableness was the creepy feeling I got from knowing that a hater of Sophie (and I stand by that assessment of rainbowjay2 - just look at the header on her site "Impending Birth or Start of a new Disaster" in front of one a loop of Sophie short films) and someone who promotes the idea that Ben would be better off if Sophie and Ben's relationship ended, would be commenting on the transcript blogger site (with what I define as false friendliness to suit some other purpose). 

That is the extent of my feelings about discomfort as far as the interview goes - pretty much a periphery type of feeling I grant you but that's what I felt nevertheless.  As far as the interview itself - I feel really good about how it went and really good about everything Ben said (and how he said it).  I also think it is perfectly fine if Vhanja felt otherwise (and I don't think she needs to defend her views because of what I said - it's all just a matter of personal opinion).  Nothing she said upset me or initiated my other post.  It was purely a response from me because of seeing rainbowjay2's name in the comments section of the blogger transcript. Vhanja was quite clear in her original post that she liked the interview very much overall. Both of us enjoyed it in our own way.  

Secondly, I only mentioned this at all because it relates directly I feel to the contents of what Ben was talking about in the interview - the crazy misconceptions and outright lies about his personal life and the sense of entitlement of certain people to make judgements about how he conducts his life (commenting on how he holds hands with someone etc.) above and well beyond his actual work (acting).  I don't participate in engaging with the "Trojan Horse" (as Ben aptly put it) concerning the haters, but I do feel it warrants discussion in appropriate places (ie. this particular thread) because it is on topic and relevant to what is happening in recent times. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

May 2, 2015 6:19 pm  #20

I never thought you did, Ah-chie. I was just not sure if there was any connection between what you wrote and my post.

Team Hudders!

Board footera