BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2015 9:49 pm  #1

10 Norwegian Phrases that don't Exist in English

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 3, 2015 7:10 am  #2

Re: 10 Norwegian Phrases that don't Exist in English

Wow, seems like Mofftis would have had a much harder time to keep up the ambivalence of the Sherlock/John relationship had they been Norwegians.

Interesting list, thanks for posting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 6, 2015 5:11 am  #3

Aww, that's cool.  Reminds me of various other similar lists you sometimes see posted here and there about strange/interesting words, or that there even exists a word for so many specific emotions or intangible things that English often doesn't have.  Heck, just googling the idea brings up thousands of results! (wonder how many words we have vice versa like that?)   There's even a neat book on it full of illustrated examples I meant to look up called "Lost In Translation", by Ella Frances Sanders you word-lovers might like.

I like the idea of 'Kos'.    One of my other favorite such word I've come across is (the originally greek) petrichor.  Just the sound of it is cool.  And  "Mamihlapinatapai," a word in the indigenous Chilean language of Yanghan, as "the silent acknowledgment and understanding between two people, who are both wishing or thinking the same thing (and are both unwilling/reluctant to initiate)."  Then there's ones that make you shake your head, amused 'they have a word for that?'  "Pisan-zapra" is a wonderfully specific word from Malay, denoting the time necessary to eat a banana.  And another favorite to leave off with:  Tsundoku: punning from tsundeoku, to leave piled up, and doku, to read - the act of buying books and not reading them, leaving them to pile up unread  (*looks sheepishly at one section of bookcase, guilty*)  Have a word for it too.  Hoarding.      

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 6, 2015 6:17 am  #4

My son's Pisan-zapra is shorter than that of an average human being. He seems to inhale them.

Languages are awesome. There are a number of German words that don't exist in English, too. I couldn't believe that there is no word for "Ohrwurm" ("ear worm"), for example. It's a song that keeps playing in your mind again and again after you heard it.

Last edited by Schmiezi (April 6, 2015 6:23 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 6, 2015 9:28 am  #5

A lot of interesting examples here! 

I also miss a good word in English for "samboer". When you are in a relationship with someone, you live with them, but you are not married. I've heard terms like "co-habittants" and "domestic partnership", but they all sound so... dry and formal. Like a business relationship.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 9:46 am  #6

live-in

(Like in live-in P.A. ;-)

Last edited by Harriet (April 6, 2015 9:47 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 6, 2015 10:18 am  #7

Hehe. But live-in what? Live-in boyfriend? To me "boyfriend" is a term that sounds a bit... childish. Like a high school crush. When we've lived together for ten years and have bought an apartment together, he feels much more like a husband (even though we're not married) than a boyfriend. 

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 5:59 pm  #8

Schmiezi wrote:

My son's Pisan-zapra is shorter than that of an average human being. He seems to inhale them.

Languages are awesome. There are a number of German words that don't exist in English, too. I couldn't believe that there is no word for "Ohrwurm" ("ear worm"), for example. It's a song that keeps playing in your mind again and again after you heard it.

Ha… you changed your post!  When I hit refresh right before finally making myself log off for the night, you mentioned he had 'several a day'.  Was amused, thinking I'd jokingly reply later 'I wonder if his pisan-zapra lasts the same as my pisan-zapra?' . . . I see I have my answer.    But seriously, how crazy strange specific are some of the coined terms different cultures come up with?  Why a banana?  And no kidding, about German!  Noticed a ton of times they have a tendency to mash together certain words that descriptively fit that nearly-untranslatable thing (some of them quite long!).  Like the more popular/known 'Schadenfreude'.  Pretty sure we would just use 'earworm', although no, it's not nearly as 'specific' or always immediately understood to be a song.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 6, 2015 6:15 pm  #9

@Russel:I didn't read properly the first time and thought it meant "the necessity to eat a banana". That, he doesindeed have several times a day (though he is only allowed one per day).
Iam used to our way of glueing words together, so I was very surprised when I understood at school the in English, you need severalwords to translate one long German word. Like the famous "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän"which means "the captain of the company that owns steamboats that drive on the Danube".

April 6, 2015 6:29 pm  #10

I wish I could hear all of you speaking in your native langueges. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 6, 2015 7:35 pm  #11

tonnaree wrote:

I wish I could hear all of you speaking in your native langueges. 

Easily arranged. This is a one minute long video where I show my dog Ozu finding a coin I've hidden in gravel (nosework). 

Title: 
Nosework:
Coin hidden underneath gravel

I say the following, translated to English:

"The coin is hidden underneath the gravel. *turns camera* Somewhere over there. I can't remember where anymore, so let's just hope Ozu can find it. 
Ozu? Come.
Coin! (his command for searching for the coin, creatively enough).
*Ozu searches for coin, stops and marks find by freezing with his nose on the coin*
There he thinks it is. *approaches Ozu*
Coin!
Coin! *said again to have him freeze and mark the spot again*
Is it here?
Can I have a look? *digs out coin*
THAT'S SO GOOD! GOOD DOG! (Well, not exactly, but just general praise that translates directly to "So good. That's so fine", or something like that)"

Last edited by Vhanja (April 6, 2015 7:36 pm)

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 8:31 pm  #12

Thanks!  That was cute!  Sweet puppy too.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 6, 2015 8:32 pm  #13

Interesting!

This
7. Pålegg
seems to be something like the German "Aufschnitt", "to lie upon" - whatever you do on your sandwich.

And this
8. Tøffelhelt
must be the German "Pantoffelheld" 

I notice very often that Norwegian, Swedish and German have the same root. So when I was in Scandinavia it was possible for me to read the newspapers (well - the headlines... ).

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 6, 2015 8:41 pm  #14

Mattlocked wrote:

Interesting!

This
7. Pålegg
seems to be something like the German "Aufschnitt", "to lie upon" - whatever you do on your sandwich.

And this
8. Tøffelhelt
must be the German "Pantoffelheld"

I notice very often that Norwegian, Swedish and German have the same root. So when I was in Scandinavia it was possible for me to read the newspapers (well - the headlines... ).

Interesting that it means "to lie upon" because the word "Pålegg" means exactly the same (på = on/upon, legg = to lie). That is why my boyfriend and I sometimes use the mock-English word "onlay" instead of pålegg. ;)

Sounds like the same, yeah. There's probably some rather nasty words in the English language for tøffelhelt. "Pantoffelheld" reminds me of the name "Pantouf" that a girl named her imaginary kangroo friend in the movie Chocolate. That was French, but wondering if it's the same.

Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are all Scandinavian languages and they are so closely connected that I think linguistics regards them more or less as the same language. Norwegian and Danish in particular as Norway was under Danish rule for quite a while, and Danish language was considered the posh thing to read and write. So the main version of written Norwegian is very much influenced by Danish. It's hardly any different for me reading Danish than it is Norwegian (it can be a bit harder to understand, though. In Norway we jokingly say that Danish people speak as if they got a hot potato stuck in their throat. ;) ). Swedish is easier to understand.

And, yes, Norwegian and German being both Germanic languages, they have quite a bit in common. And after the war, a few German words was left in Norway. Some of my parents generation would still say that they felt "krank" when they weren't feeling well, for instance. (And where I live, a street is still called Lôwenstrasse, built and named by the Germans during the war).

Tonnaree - thank you.

Oh, well, I wrote an article it seems. Sorry about that. 

Last edited by Vhanja (April 6, 2015 8:43 pm)

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 8:49 pm  #15

No problem. ;-)

LOL, yes, I remember some Swedish people telling me that the Danish people talk as if they have a woolen blanket in their mouth. 
But I heard the same from the people living in the far north of Sweden talking about those in the south.

And I have a colleague in Sweden and some customers in Norway and when they meet they talk a lot - easily. 

April 6, 2015 8:52 pm  #16

Yeah, I have no trouble at all speaking to a Swede (except for some obscure dialects). And if I concentrate, I can understand most Danish people as well. From what I understand, Danes and Swedes struggle more to understand each other, but they can both understand Norwegians.

I had two years of German back at junior high. Not too hard a language for me to understand the basis of, I just hated the kasus as we don't really have that in our language. ;)

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 8:53 pm  #17

Btw. "Aufschnitt" means more "cut and lie on the bread"  (auf - on, schnitt - cut.)
With "to lie upon" I was referring to your palegg. 

April 6, 2015 8:55 pm  #18

Yeah, I think it's similar to the Norwegian word "avsnitt", although that is our word for "paragraph". (Although "av" means "off". So "avsnitt" is "cut off").

Team Hudders!

April 6, 2015 8:56 pm  #19

Vhanja wrote:

I had two years of German back at junior high. Not too hard a language for me to understand the basis of, I just hated the kasus as we don't really have that in our language. ;)

I know. It was quite easy for me to learn some Swedish in evening school.
But then, as I use English all the time, I forgot most of it again.
(I still can remember the numbers and some car parts.  )

April 6, 2015 8:57 pm  #20

"avsnitt" = paragraph seems to be the German "Abschnitt" 

Board footera