BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2015 7:24 pm  #1

Martin appears in Labour campaign ad

So, Martin has come out in support of Labour. It doesn't really surprise me considering he's from a fairly working class background. Not sure of everyone's politics on here and I don't really mind but personally, I'm glad.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/30/hobbit-star-martin-freeman-appears-in-labour-election-broadcast

Amanda later caused a little mini storm on Twitter by saying "feck the Tories", which is fair enough tbh, but apparently some people didn't agree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 30, 2015 7:26 pm  #2

Re: Martin appears in Labour campaign ad

Personally I lean so far left I can touch the ground.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 30, 2015 9:36 pm  #3

I think Martin took part in the campaign because he believes it is a right thing to do. That´s how a person should behave. Thumbs up! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 30, 2015 10:09 pm  #4

I think it is a wonderfully effective ad and very well presented by Martin.  I'm not British but in my home country I have always voted for our equivalent of the party he is supporting (the NDP in Canada).  He speaks about all the things I believe in - community caring and shared responsibilities, strong support for a national tax supported healthcare system and equality in society. 

Although the major support for such ideas have deep working class roots, I suspect that nowadays support for the ideas expressed in the ad by Martin can (and probably does) come from all parts of the social strata.    

Thumbs up indeed - Bravo Martin!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

March 31, 2015 9:49 am  #5

I don't know too much about what the parties stand for to really have an opinion on the matter, but I do find it interesting that Martin supports Labour.

What usually happens, especially in Norway but I would believe it goes for other countries as well, is that you support the left side while being young, rebellious and broke. As you get older, you get a good job, a good income and succeed career-wise, your views turn more and more towards the right. ("If I can do it, so can you, so get off your lazy bum and start working"). 

Seeing as Martin is now one of the priviliged, rich and successful ones, due to his own hard work, it's actually quite awesome that he stills support Labour. That makes me respect him even more, to be honest. 

Last edited by Vhanja (March 31, 2015 9:50 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2015 12:32 pm  #6

Vhanja wrote:

I don't know too much about what the parties stand for to really have an opinion on the matter, but I do find it interesting that Martin supports Labour.

What usually happens, especially in Norway but I would believe it goes for other countries as well, is that you support the left side while being young, rebellious and broke. As you get older, you get a good job, a good income and succeed career-wise, your views turn more and more towards the right. ("If I can do it, so can you, so get off your lazy bum and start working"). 

Seeing as Martin is now one of the priviliged, rich and successful ones, due to his own hard work, it's actually quite awesome that he stills support Labour. That makes me respect him even more, to be honest. 

I've heard a lot of people say that but it never has happened to me. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 12:34 pm  #7

There is a saying:

If you're not a liberal at age 20, you have no heart.
If you're not a conservative at age 40, you have no brain.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2015 12:47 pm  #8

Vhanja wrote:

There is a saying:

I'm 52 and you can't live without either one.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 1:16 pm  #9

Well, greetings from a woman without brain. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 31, 2015 1:20 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

I did always wonder Susi.        kisskiss

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 1:23 pm  #11

Vhanja wrote:

There is a saying:

It is exactly the oposite, IMHO:

when you are still young, you are prone to lap up the rightwing propaganda about how would you become a millionaire sel-made-man if you really try, how everybody has the equal chance in the market, how neccessary it is to be competitive etc., etc.

while the more older you are, the more you start to notice the difficulties of life, you meet with first chronic illnesses, you struggle with your bills and you´ll gradually comprehend the unequality that only socially oriented politics can slightly ballance.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 31, 2015 1:27 pm  #12

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Tonnaree, rude!

And may I join you, Susi?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 31, 2015 1:28 pm  #13

Anytime, darling. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 31, 2015 1:50 pm  #14

gently69 wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Tonnaree, rude!

And may I join you, Susi?

*goes to sit in her corner and think about what she's done*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 1:58 pm  #15

*gets her out of the corner and hugs her*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 31, 2015 1:59 pm  #16

tonnaree wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

There is a saying:

I'm 52 and you can't live without either one.

I agree. To me it's not as simple as "they are right and they are wrong". I don't think I've ever come across any political party (except for the most extreme fanatics) that don't have many good points in their program. Neither have I come across a party where I agree with everything they stand for. 

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2015 2:20 pm  #17

gently69 wrote:

*gets her out of the corner and hugs her*

*happily snuggles with Gently*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2015 2:52 pm  #18

I'll turn 40 this October, so take this as a warning. Conservatism, here I come!
(This means of course that Sherlock and John will have to get married as soon as possible, or I won't be able to support Johnlock any longer.)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 31, 2015 3:24 pm  #19

I lived as a child in a country with only one party, where people had to fight and die that we have the right to make a choice, where saying the word "democracy" was forbidden. I am sad when i see how many people doesn't understand how lucky they are to live in a democracy and that the first pillar of democracy is the right to choose, to have an opinion, a political opinion, to have your own believes. 

I woudn't care if Martin or whatever actor of Sherlock is a tory or another legal, non-extremist party, even when i would choose something else or i would have another political view. It is their right to choose and to have their own mind. I am more sad about people who are staying on the sides and only judge those having a political opinion but don't bother themselves (but expect from thier state to take care of them) or about those taking a side and not understanding that democracy means more than a side, more than a colour, more than an opinion - that from the battle of these opinions come the progress of the society. 

I absolutly don't get the hate Martin gets now on twitter and in papers for his support of a party. 

March 31, 2015 3:31 pm  #20

I am tempted to say... haters gonna hate. Really. Whatever a celeb do, someone will spend a portion of their own life yelling about it online. I have no idea why people bother. 

I adore Martin as an actor. I love to see him on screen, because I am a huge fan of his acting style (also: he isn't that bad to look at...). But that is job, and I am enjoying watching him work (and some of his sassy interviews). That doesn't mean I have to agree with every opinion he has and every choice that he makes. He has his own life, and whatever party he votes for, or whatever views he has on various issues is completely irrelevant to his job - and, frankly, none of my business.

Team Hudders!

Board footera