BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2015 12:58 am  #1

The Skin Project

It's funny how the Internet works… some things spread like wildfire, for just a little bit, or a while… some things come around, slowly shared here and there until coming around again years later.  Although it was launched in 2003, I just saw a tumblr post today for the first time about someone's tattoo and how it related to the "Skin Project" by Shelley Jackson.  Have many of you heard about this? (or even neater, you did it or know someone who did?)  Here's her website about it:  http://www.ineradicablestain.com/skin.html

Basically, she's an author who decided to do a 2095-word story on a 'big scale' that ties the words and their reader to each other and the author in a deeper, global way.  Each word in the story (punctuation included) is assigned (in order) to all the volunteers who contacted her, who then get the word tattooed on their body.  Once they have, and sent a photo to the author, she sends them a copy of the whole story, which is for them and only them, not for public sharing.  So in a sense, you have a living breathing secret story out there, spanning 2095 people over the globe.  Wow, huh?  The website even has a map of all the 'Words', and the author talks about getting to meet her 'Words' and even promises to attend their funerals if she can.

I like the idea that we're all part of a story, and if we're gone, the story isn't the same.  Would have been neat to do it and be part of, but at the same time, if I'm going to get a tattoo, I might rather pick my own 'word'.  What do you guys think?  Just thought some of you might find it interesting, or maybe even know a Word.  According to the map, there's several in the cities near me!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 27, 2015 4:46 pm  #2

Re: The Skin Project

I have heard something about this. I think it is a fascinating idea but also agree about choosing your own word, words, or images.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 29, 2015 9:16 pm  #3

That is achingly beautiful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 30, 2015 5:10 am  #4

Aww, neat way to put it….     Glad liked, although still find it quite unusual.  And I wonder what happened to her… surely it's done by now, but the last update is from 2010?  Be neat to hear what came of it… thought of writing her, but then figured surely other people had already.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera