BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



February 25, 2015 4:24 pm  #1


Una Stubbs interview on the Special

Here is a new article from the Radio Times with an interview of Una Stubbs about the upcoming Sherlock Special.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-02-25/una-stubbs-on-the-sherlock-special-its-a-brilliant-script---its-so-funny

She is such a doll!  I love how she refers to BC and MF as "the boys". http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png


-Val


"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch
 

February 25, 2015 5:17 pm  #2


Re: Una Stubbs interview on the Special

She really is lovely!

I'm relieved by the "funny," I must admit. Some of those photos were distinctly creepy-looking, and I don't do well with creepy (not that that would keep me from watching!)

Also, poor Martin. He will forever be referred to as disliking setlock, when what he actually said was that the applauding made acting difficult, not the fans per se.


____________________

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."
 

February 25, 2015 6:06 pm  #3


Re: Una Stubbs interview on the Special

I know what you mean REReader.  It irritates me to no end when things get twisted like that.

The twisted version gets ingrained in so many references and then the orginal intent gets buried under these "misinterpretations" (I put this in quotes because although sometimes the twisting is unintentional, a lot of the time it is on purpose to suit various agendas). 

It's like when BC's mum was quoted as saying "I'm so proud. I'm as proud as punch. We got here yesterday and we are so excited and happy. Though I think Eddie will clean the board."   But the headline read "Benedict Cumberbatch's Parents Back Eddie Redmayne".  Clear (to me at least) those two thoughts are completely diametrically opposed to one another. 

They weren't "backing" ER at all - they were just commenting on the reality of the situation (Redmayne had been the odds on favourite for months).  But the thought that BC's own parents weren't behind him as he went into the Oscars (and were almost cheering on ER for best actor) is the biggest impression you are left with because of something like this.  

Twist, twist, twist... it never ends!  And it gives more fodder for the barking loons who want to find ammunition to fire at MF, BC, AA and Mofftiss... and anything else that moves or breaths on BBC Sherlock.

And doen't get me started about all the BC/SH twists going on at the moment! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/cross.png


-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 25, 2015 6:10 pm)


"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch
     Thread Starter
 

February 25, 2015 6:30 pm  #4


Re: Una Stubbs interview on the Special

Ah-chie wrote:

It's like when BC's mum was quoted as saying "I'm so proud. I'm as proud as punch. We got here yesterday and we are so excited and happy. Though I think Eddie will clean the board."   But the headline read "Benedict Cumberbatch's Parents Back Eddie Redmayne".  Clear (to me at least) those two thoughts are completely diametrically opposed to one another. 

They weren't "backing" ER at all - they were just commenting on the reality of the situation (Redmayne had been the odds on favourite for months).  But the thought that BC's own parents weren't behind him as he went into the Oscars (and were almost cheering on ER for best actor) is the biggest impression you are left with because of something like this.  

Yes, exactly, Val! Of course, the article writers don't have any control over the headlines, but there was quite a bit of that twisting in some of the articles, too.


____________________

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."
 

February 25, 2015 7:09 pm  #5


Re: Una Stubbs interview on the Special

Lovely article, from a lovely lady!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"
https://secure.static.tumblr.com/366e007c7d5d80b608050b4c5e841fb6/clrlpmh/wV7o0y8be/tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif
"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr I AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5
 

February 25, 2015 7:57 pm  #6


Re: Una Stubbs interview on the Special

*grabby hands* We wants it, precious! We wants it now!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."


http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/79/a8/0c/79a80c5d40432048588a53434ac086a1.jpg
 

February 25, 2015 8:50 pm  #7


Re: Una Stubbs interview on the Special

REReader wrote:

Ah-chie wrote:

It's like when BC's mum was quoted as saying "I'm so proud. I'm as proud as punch. We got here yesterday and we are so excited and happy. Though I think Eddie will clean the board."   But the headline read "Benedict Cumberbatch's Parents Back Eddie Redmayne".  Clear (to me at least) those two thoughts are completely diametrically opposed to one another. 

They weren't "backing" ER at all - they were just commenting on the reality of the situation (Redmayne had been the odds on favourite for months).  But the thought that BC's own parents weren't behind him as he went into the Oscars (and were almost cheering on ER for best actor) is the biggest impression you are left with because of something like this.  

Yes, exactly, Val! Of course, the article writers don't have any control over the headlines, but there was quite a bit of that twisting in some of the articles, too.

Yes, those headline twisting discrepancies really get reporter's knickers in a twist as well.

But like you said, when the twisting is done within the body of the article it makes it twice as gauling.  I especially hate it when articles move quotes around and squish them together with others to colour the tone a certain way. 

But back to Una... I love her outlook on things.  She must be a hoot to work with!  I bet "the boys" adore her (and respect her - she has a very lengthy CV). http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png


-Val

 

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 25, 2015 8:51 pm)


"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch
     Thread Starter
 

February 26, 2015 2:03 am  #8


Re: Una Stubbs interview on the Special

Aww, that was sweet….      (the article, not the frustrating word-twisting tendency)  ;P

Ah-chie wrote:

But back to Una... I love her outlook on things.  She must be a hoot to work with!  I bet "the boys" adore her (and respect her - she has a very lengthy CV). http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
 

Seconded!  I know Louise does, and Ben… she and his mum have known each other a long time. 


_________________________________________________________________________

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum