BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2015 3:22 am  #1

Wonderful Fandango One on One with Ben...

I found this tonight and haven't seen it on this board yet.  It is a video from a Fandango Q & A session hosted by Dave Karger (who usually does a show called Frontrunners) in which Benedict talks for about 40 minutes about many topics.

Here's the link -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgMiRiJsrk

I really enjoyed this immensely.  BC had flown in for a short (10 hours he said) period just to talk to them about the movie (he is so dedicated to it) and had to catch a plane right after he left the auditorium.  He looked (and sometimes sounded) a bit tired but it didn't dampen his enthusiasm for talking about Turing and the movie. 

Among other things he also praised Alex Lawther for his performance and said how relaxed he felt playing opposite Keira Knightly because of their friendship - which made thing really easy with their scenes.  He said that although he sometimes had to isolate himself to learn lines and get into his character he is so naturally gregarious that he loved being around the other actors and they all got along quite well (and he was never felt affected by Turing's standoffish personality when the cameras weren't running at all.  A lot of the other actors he either knew as friends or he had worked with them in the past, and those he didn't know - like Allen Leech - became friends very quickly with him because they were all so warm and welcoming.  

The host played a lightning round of questions with him at one point and this is where Ben's tiredness really showed.  He just couldn't answer the questions in one word and sometimes just seemed so tongue-tied trying to think of an answer.  But he tried to answer all of them. 

Then they had questions from the audience and they were pretty good (no goofy ones actually).  One of the ones that fascinated me the most was the one about his lisp.  I haven't heard him talk about that before so it was new to me that he said he had a much more severe lisp when he was younger (apparently he was missing both his front teeth for a while and said something like "my tongue is too big for my mouth") and he admited that he has to concentrate not to lisp when learning lines, and he is aware that the lisp comes out when he is tired (and then he joked about how tired he was at the moment). 

Any way I think the whole thing is well worth watching and I hope all who are interested enjoy it!

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 11, 2015 3:22 am)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 13, 2015 7:05 pm  #2

Re: Wonderful Fandango One on One with Ben...

What a great Q&A--thank you for bringing it! I love it when he's asked about acting, because he really gets involved in the answers.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 14, 2015 5:36 pm  #3

Re: Wonderful Fandango One on One with Ben...

It was posted somewhere but I don't know where , I guess somewhere between. I think every long interview deserves a own thread, to find them again more easily. So thanks for opening one.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

Board footera