BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2015 10:08 am  #1

Lovely Lestrade

I just found this meta on tumblr and realised that we do have a thread for Greg Lestrade which is a pity. So this thread is for everything you always wanted to say or ask or discuss about Gavin-Graham-Geoff-Greg.

http://slashscribe.tumblr.com/post/108993537636/lestradisms-okay-maybe-six-gifs-was-a-bit

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 24, 2015 12:04 pm  #2

Re: Lovely Lestrade

How much would we all love to find out exactly how Lestrade and Sherlock met?   That's a backstory I would pay to get.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 24, 2015 1:26 pm  #3

Lestrade is one of my favorite support characters, he is an awesome man. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 24, 2015 3:16 pm  #4

The tumblr post is really interesting, and once more I am amazed at the subtleties of the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 24, 2015 4:20 pm  #5

What a nice post! And in the second gif on top I also see fascination. Still fascinated, no matter how long the two may know each other.... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 25, 2015 10:28 pm  #6

I love Greg, he's fantastic! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 25, 2015 11:07 pm  #7

Such a different character than that in the original stories. I prefer Rupert's version, I confess!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 25, 2015 11:23 pm  #8

I think we don't know much about him, compared to other supporting characters. Molly has got her own stories, Anderson has... Lestrade is always connected to his work, he hasn't got a proper background story that's not about his work (I think, did I miss sth?). And I would like to know more. How he met Sherlock would be cool to know.
I just think they keep him neutral for a reason. Maybe they don't want to many supporting characters to have their own big developing stories. But I sometimes felt that although he is always in the picture, I don't know that much about him...
But he's a very likeable character!! :-)

"It is what it is."

January 25, 2015 11:43 pm  #9

Career policeman, not a posh background, marital problems, likes donuts, puts his feet up on the table. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 26, 2015 12:06 am  #10

Davina wrote:

likes donuts, puts his feet up on the table.

:-D that says it all

"It is what it is."

January 26, 2015 2:51 am  #11

One advantage of Lestrsde being such a lightly-sketched character is that things like that Tumblr post can fit right in--it leaves room for our imaginations!

Me, I'm convinced that Sherlock knows Lestrade's name perfectly well, he's being (to his mind) funny when he gets it "wrong".

Last edited by REReader (January 26, 2015 2:52 am)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 26, 2015 8:39 am  #12

What I like most above Lestrade is the fact that he is the only one of Sherlock´s friends who likes and accepts Sherlock exactly how he is and doesn´t want him to change, nor gives him sing-and-dance about his "vices". He stoically takes Sherlock´s tantrums and dramatic behaviour and even Sherlock´s digs about his name (I too think it´s quite deliberate), because he knows that Sherlock needs this drama with himself in the main role to do his detecting well. He is also the only member of Scotland Yard who is unfased by the fact that a haughty amateur consultant gets entangled into his cases - he is rational and level-headed enough to value the result (the restoring of an order and to remove the danger of criminals from society) over his pride as a policeman.

And of course, he is the friend who invites Sherlock with a hug instead of a kick-in-the-head upon Sherlock´s "revival".

Very lovely character, indeed.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 26, 2015 10:20 am  #13

No, I really do think he hasn't got a clue that Lestrade's first name is Greg. To him it would be an unimportant fact to be discarded. Bless him!

Board footera