BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2014 4:07 pm  #1

SAG Awards 2014

Benedict has been nominated for two Screen Actors' Guilds Awards:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie - Sherlock

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role - The Imitation Game 

A third and fourth nomination went to TIG for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture and to Keira Knightly as Supporting Actress. 

Great news. Keeping fingers crossed. The ceremony will take place on 25 January 2015. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 10, 2014 5:02 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 10, 2014 5:57 pm  #2

Re: SAG Awards 2014

Best of luck to him and the rest of the cast!

December 10, 2014 6:00 pm  #3

Oh yeah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 10, 2014 6:18 pm  #4

Then he'll get the Golden Globes nominations tomorrow, too.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 10, 2014 6:20 pm  #5

Here's hoping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 10, 2014 6:32 pm  #6

I hope he has the time to go to these award shows, Aren't they filming Sherlock in January? And the Globes are in January, too.

----------

December 10, 2014 6:43 pm  #7

They sometimes get a weeeknd off and I don't know when in Jan they film.

December 10, 2014 6:57 pm  #8

Some how they work it out.  But if it comes to a choice I'd rather he be filming Sherlock than walking the red carpet.
I suspect Ben might agree with me on this also.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 10, 2014 7:01 pm  #9

I certainly agree with you!

December 10, 2014 8:19 pm  #10

Big congrats on the awards to him!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 10, 2014 8:41 pm  #11

Hitfix has reactions from nominees; Benedict is #5 in the gallery.

Last edited by REReader (December 10, 2014 8:42 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 26, 2015 8:57 am  #12

Good that he wasn't there, would have been waste of valuable time.

----------

January 26, 2015 9:24 am  #13

Yes. Again. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 26, 2015 12:18 pm  #14

I know, SusiGo.
And I fear he won't have any luck at the Bafta`s either. I know it`s petty, but I somehow hope Michael Keaton wins the Bafta. Eddie Redmayne seems to be really nice and deserving of the award, but it would really look like a slap in the face for Benedict. Think about it: He doesn`t win for Hawking, he doesn`t win for Sherlock twice in a row, they don`t even nominate him for Parade`s End and then Eddie Redmayne wins....for playing Hawking.

January 26, 2015 12:21 pm  #15

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Benedict doesn't think about it like that.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 26, 2015 12:54 pm  #16

I`m sure you are right, SolarSystem. He probably is a pretty reasonable person, unlike me. I should have written: To me that would feel as if his work isn`t really valued. I know that ultimately all of these awards don`t matter anyway.

January 26, 2015 1:18 pm  #17

"F*ck you, BAFTA, I won an Oscar!"

(It´s unlikely that he would ever say that, but a girl can dream....)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 26, 2015 1:26 pm  #18

I can't judge ER performance because I haven't seen it yet but I do have an opinion bassed on following awards for many years. 

Eddie Redmayne has the "showier" role.  That's why he's winning so much.  Not saying it's not a great performance.  Just observing that actors tend to get rewarded for roles that involve playing some sort of handicap or that require a serious physical transforamtion.

Just a few examples from the Oscars:
Marliee Matlain for Children of a Lesser God - deaf actress
Linda Hunt - The Year of Living Dangerously - woman playing a male character
Robert DeNiro - Raging Bull - great weight gain and loss
Dustin Hoffman - Rainman -  autistic charater
Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club - man playing transexual prostitute.

The list is long.
Once again, not that these all weren't very deserving performances, but you do see a pattern?

Benedict and Eddie both gave amazing performances in their respective films but I do honestly think that the physical aspect of playing Hawking gives it just the slightest edge when it comes to awards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 26, 2015 6:00 pm  #19

I agree, tonnaree. Usually the "I played a gay guy" card works  But this year he is beaten by a handicaped role or a guy who has his comeback. Bad timing I guess 
But honestly, I'm sure both Michael and Eddie would deserve the Oscar.

----------

January 26, 2015 6:44 pm  #20

tonnaree, I totally agree with you, I've been saying this for quite a while now.
I have seen "The Theory of Everything" and Eddie is really good in it. And not only when it comes to the physicalness of the role. There also is a very nice chemistry between him and Felicity Jones. The film as a whole however isn't really my cup of tea, for various reasons.
So. Eddie certainly deserves awards for his performance. So, I'm sure, does Michael Keaton, although I haven't seen "Birdman" yet. Keaton is celebrating a huge comeback with this role, so this also might make some members of the Academy vote for him. In my opinion Benedict is absolutely brilliant as Alan Turing - the 'problem' is that you have to look a little bit closer to realise how good he is and what he has achieved. His performance is not as showy as Eddie's or Michael's, it's more low-key and delicate. And although at the Oscar it's only actors and actresses who can vote in the Best Actor/Best Actress-category and they should know what to look for.. I'm not sure Benedict will win.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera