BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2014 8:28 am  #1

Sherlock scenes without background music

Some on tumblr has taken the daunting task of removing the music from important scenes. It is quite interesting to see how much the atmosphere is changed or enhanced by the music. Here is one example, the rooftop scene:

http://miss-dramateen.tumblr.com/post/100812302376

I think after watching this one cannot go on believing that Sherlock faked his distress. Their emotions seem even  more raw and genuine and the way Benedict's voice is breaking is completely different from e.g. the scene with Mrs Monkford. 

For all who are interested here is a list of all the scenes she edited:

http://miss-dramateen.tumblr.com/sceneswithoutbackgroundmusic

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 26, 2014 9:01 am  #2

Re: Sherlock scenes without background music

I love this one, you can hear their breath and their distress in more details. I also love John and the Hound, you can really hear how afraid he was, a little bit is lost with the music over it. 

The rest doesn't bring me much more information without the music. 

November 26, 2014 9:06 am  #3

There also is the scene in 221B (HLV) with Sherlock, John and Mary, or at least a tiny part of the scene. It's quite amazing. As much as I love (or hate...) the finished scene, I have to admit that without the music it feels almost more intense to me. It's as if you can grasp the tension that's floating around in the room. To me the music makes the scene more heartbreaking, without the music there is even more tension. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 26, 2014 10:24 am  #4

SolarSystem wrote:

There also is the scene in 221B (HLV) with Sherlock, John and Mary, or at least a tiny part of the scene. It's quite amazing. As much as I love (or hate...) the finished scene, I have to admit that without the music it feels almost more intense to me. It's as if you can grasp the tension that's floating around in the room. To me the music makes the scene more heartbreaking, without the music there is even more tension. 

I haven't see it. Do you have a link?

November 26, 2014 10:34 am  #5

I have seen it weeks ago on tumblr, don't know if I'll find it again... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 26, 2014 12:13 pm  #6

this is very impressive, the scenes are just as intense/funny without the music.
I also still have trouble believing that the rooftop scene was just acting on Sherlock's part. But than again, it was just acting on Benedict’s part, so maybe Sherlock is just as good an actor as Ben is?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

November 26, 2014 12:16 pm  #7

No, you can usually tell when Benedict as Sherlock is acting. Just look at the scene in TBB when he tries to get into Van Coon's flat or the scene with Mrs Monkford in TGG. 
Of course on the roof he is sorf of acting because he is lying to John but I think that his distress and the tears are real. 

(I just mailed the tumblr blogger and asked for the 221B scene from HLV which is really interesting)

Last edited by SusiGo (November 26, 2014 12:20 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 26, 2014 3:40 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

No, you can usually tell when Benedict as Sherlock is acting. Just look at the scene in TBB when he tries to get into Van Coon's flat or the scene with Mrs Monkford in TGG. 
Of course on the roof he is sorf of acting because he is lying to John but I think that his distress and the tears are real. 

(I just mailed the tumblr blogger and asked for the 221B scene from HLV which is really interesting)

Totally agreed Susi.  The tears may have started out as part of his ruse but he did cry for John.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 26, 2014 5:32 pm  #9

Thank you so much for posting this, Susi.
And I always wanted to watch that scene with Mary without music but I can't find it anymore.
Now I will check all of those -  honestly I didn't recognise there was so much music in the original scenes.... 

Last edited by Mattlocked (November 26, 2014 5:35 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 26, 2014 5:38 pm  #10

November 26, 2014 5:41 pm  #11

Thanks so much, Mattlocked. I got the name of sherlock-is-the-best from miss drama-teen who did also the 221B scene. I had no time to look for it so far. This one here is great as well. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 26, 2014 5:42 pm)

November 26, 2014 5:41 pm  #12

November 26, 2014 5:43 pm  #13

Oh, and there is more.... With Moriarty in the MInd Palace:

WOW, quite impressive!

http://you-keep-me-right-jw.tumblr.com/post/85426220100/deducingbbcsherlock-sherlockisthebest

Last edited by Mattlocked (November 26, 2014 5:44 pm)

November 26, 2014 6:02 pm  #14

Thanks very much for posting these!  I don't have time to look at them all now, but will do.  The music is very much part of it for me, so it will be interesting to see how the scenes play out without it.

Sherlock's manner during the phone call - I think there are two things going on.  This has to be the best acting he's ever done, because John's life (and other people's) depend on it, AND Sherlock is genuinely distressed because what he has to do and what he's giving up.  The acting has to be particularly good, because John is so resistant to believing that Sherlock's a fake - something Sherlock confirmed with him.

Last edited by Liberty (November 26, 2014 6:15 pm)

November 26, 2014 6:26 pm  #15

Yes, that is true. He is acting and at the same time he hates doing this to John. And this is what makes the scene especially harrowing.

As for the scenes in general - to me they feel more raw and immediate without the music. Take the one in Baker Street: John's feelings are much more palpable here, his voice when he talks to Mary is heartbreaking and the music tends to overlay this. 

December 19, 2014 8:14 am  #16

Here is another scene without music - Sherlock, John, and Mary in Leinster Gardens. 

http://clueinglock.tumblr.com/post/105093885717/scenes-without-background-music-marys-true

January 11, 2015 6:42 pm  #17

And I always wanted to watch that scene with Mary without music but I can't find it anymore. Now I will check all of those -  honestly I didn't recognise there was so much music in the original sc enes....  

January 12, 2015 9:30 am  #18

Here is another one from TSoT. You only hear the actors singing along. I think it makes Sherlock seem even lonelier, hearing them having fun and he alone and silently among the singing crowd.

http://gerlocked.tumblr.com/post/107787046020/i-deleted-the-background-music-and-oh-lord-just

February 12, 2015 4:31 pm  #19

Here is the "why does your phone make that noise" scene from ASiB:

http://miss-dramateen.tumblr.com/post/110531358621

Board footera