BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2014 7:10 pm  #1

Martin will be hosting Saturday Night Live on Dec. 13

(Source: Broadway World.)

That should be interesting!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

November 20, 2014 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Martin will be hosting Saturday Night Live on Dec. 13

OMFG
I feel a bit lightheaded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 20, 2014 8:47 pm  #3

Call me living-under-a-rock creature, but i have never seen before a SNL episode. Are they very well know? Would help Martin to get atention in USA for further projects or is like a Graham Norton Hobbit promo interview? 

November 20, 2014 9:25 pm  #4

Ah, I was just about to post this up. SO EXCITED :DDD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 20, 2014 10:20 pm  #5

A lovely light wrote:

Call me living-under-a-rock creature, but i have never seen before a SNL episode. Are they very well know? Would help Martin to get atention in USA for further projects or is like a Graham Norton Hobbit promo interview? 

Saturday Night Live is a comedy sketch show that has been around for decades.  The cast has featured many people and the quality of the show varies wildly.  However, being ask to host is still a pretty big deal.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 20, 2014 10:53 pm  #6

tonnaree wrote:

A lovely light wrote:

Saturday Night Live is a comedy sketch show that has been around for decades.  The cast has featured many people and the quality of the show varies wildly.  However, being ask to host is still a pretty big deal.

Thank you, that explain why i haven't see it till now, i am not into american comedy normally. Well, i hope then it will be good quality. 

November 20, 2014 11:06 pm  #7

A lovely light wrote:

Thank you, that explain why i haven't see it till now, i am not into american comedy normally. Well, i hope then it will be good quality. 

This is a BIG deal and a huge honour for Martin! You don't get to host SNL if you're not 'somebody.' So excited!!! I've been watching SNL off an on for 20+ years, whenever I can get it. It's a fanastic lineup that skewers the news and big people of the day.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 21, 2014 12:44 am  #8

I hope it goes well.  We know Martin has the comedy skills but so much depends on how the writing is for the week.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 4, 2014 6:38 pm  #9

From USA Today: Martin Freeman on being an 'SNL' newbie.  (Um, Martin? I think slightly more than 18 New Yorkers know who you are. Also, nationally-aired show. You'll be fine.)

December 9, 2014 8:32 pm  #10

There were two relevant SNL tweets yesterday: here and here

December 10, 2014 8:34 pm  #11

On the NBC website: Two-and-a-half minutes of Martin shooting SNL promos with Kate McKinnon. (I am so not into SNL any more that I have no idea who Kate McKinnon is.)

December 10, 2014 8:41 pm  #12

A pretty lady, apparently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 10, 2014 8:51 pm  #13

I'm trying to decide if I want to watch it live or wait till the next day and just watch highlights on the web. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 10, 2014 8:53 pm  #14

It would only be the latter for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 11, 2014 4:28 am  #15

Loved that!     Can't wait to see what he does/how they'll add in riffs on his roles.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 11, 2014 8:08 pm  #16

VH1 has an interview clip up in which Martin talks about his upcoming SNL appearance. Ha!

December 11, 2014 8:16 pm  #17

So great! What channel is this on? I probably don't have it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 5:46 am  #18

So... different sites already have different parts of it up!

If you want to watch the whole thing, Hulu's best quality for catching episodes of stuff networks let them put up after it airs:   http://www.hulu.com/watch/726809#i0,p317,d0 
I'll be honest, though… to concur with most of the above comments about it, SNL is indeed a famous long-running sketch comedy show over here (kind of like how Brits had Monty Python?), that's a big deal to get to host, and I can appreciate it's influence on comedians/careers/pop culture.  That said, I very rarely watched except for checking out some of the sketches that became infamously popular, because the rest of the time, just found the humor usually on the 'stupid' side.  Super happy for Martin, and fits great with his usual vibe, but… sorry to say all the clips I watched were kind of 'stupid' for me, again.  Wish he had gotten some better stuff!

I happily recommend at least watching his opening monologue though:  http://www.hulu.com/watch/726778   Plus the best one, their riff on two of his works, the Hobbit Office:  http://www.hulu.com/watch/726780   (also on hulu, because the clips I found on youtube were bad/hasty quality)
What did you think?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 15, 2014 8:00 am  #19

Ok, The Hobbit Office was awesome! 

Going back to the Benedict/Martin-issue, I did notice that he didn't even mentioned Sherlock when he listed what he might be known for, in his monologue. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 9:34 am  #20

He is just jealous that Benedict has more media attention than he has (as if that was something pleasurable, when it´s more like a curse, really).

If Benedict said something equally distasteful about him, we would never hear the end of it and Tumblr would explode.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera