BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2014 12:50 am  #1

Return of Irene Adler

Would you guys like to see another appearance from The Woman in Series 4? I know she appeared briefly in Sherlock's Mind Palace in S3 and in flashback scenes to S2 whilst talking about John's middle name, but I'm talking about a full on return where she features in an entire episode or more.

Yay or nay?

Personally, I think she's a great characters and yes, I know that canonically she's only in one story, but canonically, so was Moriarty, and he's been in virtually everything so far and it hasn't exactly mattered. BBC Sherlock, to me, is more like a fan fiction type interpretation with excellent canonical nods, rather than something that's 100% faithful, so I don't really take that argument into account as to why she shouldn't be in it.

Sherlock obviously still thinks of her if she's bothering him in his mind palace during important moments. Lara Pulver has always said she would love to return and has never publicly ruled it out. None of the other team members have ruled it out either. Irene is alive and out there somewhere. There's nothing to stop her coming back at some point. I think it would be pretty interesting although I wouldn't like to see them take Sherlock down any kind of romantic route with her. I always maintained his interest in her was purely intellectual...although the fact that she's naked in his mind palace would kind of suggest otherwise, lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 4, 2014 2:14 am  #2

Re: Return of Irene Adler

Just like Moriarty, I'm not sure how I would feel about Irene Adler returning. As much as Ioved Laura's interpretation of the character, I feel that ASIB pretty said all that could be said about her. I really don't know what they could actually do with her at this point. However, since she is still alive, I would mind seeing her appear for one last time in just one episode maybe (as well as in flashbacks and mind palace sequences) but if they bring her back as a full time-long term character then that would be too much for me.

I generally feel that in this series (especially with its three episodes per season format) I prefer to see villains/rogues being done in small doses because I might eventually get tired that particular character and would want to see it move on to something different. In another post I suggested the idea of Mofftiss coming up with brand new foes from scratch for Sherlock to deal with then trying to find ones from the canon. The Cabbie in ASIP and The Black Lotus from TBB were certainly original ideas.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (November 5, 2014 2:40 am)

November 4, 2014 5:18 am  #3

I agree about the small doses!   For my part, I have definitely seen enough of Irene Adler as a major character in a
plotline.   However, what the series has always excelled at is the canonical nod, or the insider comment here and
there.   For that reason, yes I'd really enjoy hearing an occasional offhand comment,  or some tangible reference
(like even that rose from the deleted scene),  but with preferably with little or no explanation with it.   If Lara Pulver
were to reappear, I'd rather it be as we saw her in series 3,  only VERY small doses, alluding to either a mind palace
appearance or a real one, happening mostly (cleverly) off-camera.   I feel the same way about Moriarty.

The viewers' imaginations are  more than capable of taking any small bits they throw at us and figuring things out.
(obviously, look at all sorts of fan fiction  out there ).     I guess I don't need to see another Sherlock/Jeanine type
relationship spelled out.    Or a Sherlock/The Woman type relationship.  The core relationship (with John) is already
beautfully drawn.   The rest can be alluded to,  if it serves the central story.  But not made to be central itself.

November 4, 2014 7:28 am  #4

Nay..

I think her story is told, she had her battle with Sherlock, he won, they still think fondly of each other, the end. For me her whole point was to show his power of deduction win over her power of seduction, and I can´t see how she could add to the story after that..

Last edited by Zatoichi (November 4, 2014 7:29 am)

November 4, 2014 7:31 am  #5

I agree and never want to see her again,,,but I can't help feeling Steven just likes to see her with her kit off! (Sorry!).
I have been thinking about what Irene said, though: 
The Ice Man and the Virgin.

Mycroft, not interested...
Sherlock...open to persuasion?

Last edited by besleybean (November 4, 2014 5:31 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2014 10:50 am  #6

I have mixed feelings.  I loved ASIB, but it was perfect on its own, and couldn't be done again - they've dealt with those issues, Sherlock has learned that love is a dangerous disadvantage and how to repress his feelings further, etc.  He's shut that away for now.   I did mention somewhere else that I could see her having a small part where she rescues Sherlock (because he rescued her in Karachi).  I think S3 has shown that they do still have feelings for each other, but I don't think they're pining. 

Honestly, I thought Moriarty was in too many episodes.  They could have limited him to S2, or possibly even just to TRF (although I can understand that they wanted us to have a "relationship" with him before that episode). 

November 4, 2014 1:27 pm  #7

NO

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 4, 2014 9:07 pm  #8

I really enjoyed ASIB,  still nearly my favorite.    But I have zero interest in ever seeing Irene Adler again,  or hearing her referenced.
(Similarly,  no interest in the cabbie,  the blind banker characters, or the Gigantic Hound.)   Less said the better,  just
leave it there!   I have already mentally erased the final ASIB 'rescue' scene anyway--  as far as I'm concerned,  she
really no longer exists.         New characters, please.    

November 5, 2014 12:43 am  #9

Well, if she's still a minion of Moriarty and Moriarty comes back (somehow) in S4, then maybe she can be killed off for real this time. * Says KP hopefully*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 5, 2014 7:27 am  #10

I don't want her killed off, I just don't want her to have any further interaction with Sherlock.

Last edited by besleybean (November 5, 2014 7:27 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 5, 2014 7:53 am  #11

I think killing her off would involve interaction with Sherlock in some way - a storyline at least.  We would have to see how he reacted to her death. 

The one thing that I didn't feel was explored well with Irene was her background - how and why she got herself into such a situation that she needed that protection.  Had she started off going down a sort of spy route and used the "dominatrix" job to facilitate that?  Or had she gone down the dominatrix route first, and been fed so many secrets that she became a risk?  (Which maybe fits more with Doyle, and the fact that Irene didn't start out with any sinister intentions). 

I've always been a bit uncomfortable with her job, though - that somebody so intelligent, strong, independent and potentially powerful would choose a career which is about catering to other people's fantasies (no offence to pro-dommes intended - and I'm sure many of us are in careers that involve catering to other people in some way ... it just seemed possibly slightly off for her character?).  So that suggests that first option - that she chose it because it was such a great way to gather sensitive information. 

It was never quite clear what her relationship with Moriarty was - presumably she had gone to him first (as a consulting criminal?) and was exchanging information for ... what?  Not protection, because she needs to be rescued later.  Or had he approached her because of her unique position?  Did I miss that explanation?

Anyway, the back story would be interesting, but she's best out of the country, popping up in mind palaces and sending roses .

November 5, 2014 8:08 am  #12

I think explaining her backround would completely destroy mystical allure of her character. Some things are better left unexplained.

I wouldn´t mind if she appeared in the story again, if her new appearance would make sense and would be integrated into some new storyline. But if the authors intend to bring her up again only as some token which we recognise from earlier but which doesn´t serve any new role in the story, it´s better to leave her out, I think, because the wanderful drama of ASiB would be diminished and diluted by this.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 5, 2014 12:53 pm  #13

Liberty wrote:

The one thing that I didn't feel was explored well with Irene was her background - how and why she got herself into such a situation that she needed that protection.  Had she started off going down a sort of spy route and used the "dominatrix" job to facilitate that?  Or had she gone down the dominatrix route first, and been fed so many secrets that she became a risk?  (Which maybe fits more with Doyle, and the fact that Irene didn't start out with any sinister intentions). 

I think the latter.. it seems odd to go to some lenghts to collect all this information without an actual clue what to do with it afterwards, and she said that it was Moriarty who gave her the ideas. So that would make more sense to me..

Last edited by Zatoichi (November 5, 2014 12:54 pm)

Board footera