BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2012 8:47 pm  #1

Benedict splits from girlfriend

And is apparently looking for someone to settle down with...so all you single girls - now's your chance! It appears he needs someone a bit like Watson, but in female form...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2086542/Sherlock-Holmes-actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-splits-girlfriend-Anna-Jones.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 24, 2012 11:29 pm  #2

Re: Benedict splits from girlfriend

The last picture on that page has Olivia with Ben.
For those who were wondering, Olivia = Secretary from Blind Banker who has the 9 million pound hairpin.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 12:43 am  #3

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

And is apparently looking for someone to settle down with...so all you single girls - now's your chance! It appears he needs someone a bit like Watson, but in female form...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2086542/Sherlock-Holmes-actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-splits-girlfriend-Anna-Jones.html

Oh, well... I volunteer!! Not only he has the greatest voice I've ever heard, but also he is terribly sexy and his musical taste is quite similar to mine... I think we could get along 

Now seriously, I think I can understand him. Sometimes it's difficult to find someone to settle down with being an "ordinary" person, so it has to be more difficult yet being an actor working in each point of the world every month. From what I've seen on his interviews, he seems like a really nice and lovable guy, so I'm sure he will find someone great soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 25, 2012 1:12 am  #4

He certainly has a lot of qualities that appeal to me. I have a hard time relating to anyone who is in the 'lower intellectual band'
so to speak. You can't spend your life with someone if you need to dumb everything down for them.

And yet, he has this horrible habit of mumbling at times, in interviews not when 'in character'. It really irritates me, I'm trying to work out if it's a defence mechanism, a disinterest thing or a slightly holier than thou attitude.

At present, he seems to be going through the 'I'm a reclusive superstar' stage; it would not surprise me at all if after a year or so he goes back to Olivia. He's said openly that he still 'loves her to pieces' but it was best they separate. (Maybe she doesn't want kids, who knows?)
I think being single is probably better for his image at the moment. He's also said he now loves all the freedoms of being single, that's not hard to understand in his situation at the moment, but if he wants a family he'd better get over his partying ways pretty soon. Some of the pics we've seen of late say 'Ben's being all tarty'. He has looked very tired lately.

So yes, while I adore him greatly, I think he is going through a 'I love me' stage at the moment (can you blame him?)  Luckily his work schedule is pretty full on so that will hopefully keep him grounded enough.

(Geez don't I sound all motherly suddenly? lol)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 3:07 am  #5

LOL, are you showing your age Kaz? 

March 25, 2012 3:17 am  #6

Maybe, lol!
He's just 'disappointing' me lately. Flitting around everywhere, 'must be seen' attitude. I'm not liking his stylist's choices at all, lol. Now that being said, he DID say that working with Freeman, he's started to learn more about fashion.

So I blame Martin for all this.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 6:27 am  #7

LOL, Benedict??? definitely out of my league guy... besides, chance of meeting 1: 10000 XDD

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 25, 2012 6:43 am  #8

Oh he's just waiting to meet one of us, I can tell!
He's just shy.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 6:44 am  #9

I guess that he and Olivia were together from University days. I suppose if something isn't right after 10+ years then it is better to split up, even if you still love the person. I've noticed the voice changes when he is 'being himself' but that may be a defence mechanism, so that he doesn't come over as being too ridiculously posh.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 25, 2012 6:50 am  #10

Yes, he is rather 'class conscious' I've noticed. He is quick to say how he enjoys being cast in different 'classed' roles than he naturally is. I think in 'Stuart , a life backwards' and in ' Wreckers' he mentions this in interviews.

As for Olivia, I've been trying to see who she dates now, or what she's up to but cannot find anything. I keep my sneaking suspicion that she's there in the back of his mind somewhere.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 9:33 am  #11

Aww, I like it when he speaks all posh.

And yes, he's definitely just waiting for the right crazy fan girl to come along. At least he knows they would dote on his every word and never attempt to argue with him!

March 25, 2012 9:45 am  #12

See that's probably NOT the kind of girl he needs;  remember he IS in his 30's!
And without sounding  full of myself, my ex-hubby was not that bright; so being married to him was terrible. He doted on me, he agreed with anything I said /did; it is a horrible kind of relationship. You're never challenged, and if you have half a brain, you should know things shouldn't always be how YOU want them. That leads to becoming domineering and that doesn't work lol.

He's leaving his run a bit late; but then again he has a world of females to choose from, lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 10:42 am  #13

Ah! But then he is a guy so the biological clock isn't exactly ticking away for him is it. Agree with the intellectual mis-match thing though. Cannot see how it works long-term or even medium-term for that matter.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 25, 2012 11:14 am  #14

Work-wise Olivia is appearing in Philip Ridley's new play, Shivered, at the Southwark Playhouse, London. It opened 13th March and runs until 14th April. She plays the part of Lyn, which she has said is a bit of a challenge. She has written several plays, two of which have gone to the Wdinburgh Fringe. She has a short on You tube which she made with Lucy Brown. It is called, Mondays Can Be Beautiful. In articles she has described herself as a midddle-class posh girl. In an article when asked about Benedict the writer states that she looked visibly rattled and said that she didn't want to talk about it, later adding 'Everything is fine. We're fine. Still really good friends.'
Late April she starts filming for the next series of The Thick of It for BBC 4.

So she's keeping herself busy.

March 25, 2012 11:41 am  #15

theCuriousOne wrote:

LOL, Benedict??? definitely out of my league guy... besides, chance of meeting 1: 10000 XDD

Well, that's exactly my case :D

Anyway, kazza, I understand what you say. I am now 34, and have not a couple. It's difficult for me to find someone to match my way of seeing things and living life. Sometimes I'm considered a "freak", though not in the way Donovan considers Sherlock. I'm a quite shut-in person right now because all my life people has tend to consider me kind of a weirdo; when I was 15 I listened to Mozart and Beethoven, I read things like Dostoievsky and watched all the classic movies (I mean Wilder, Welles, Huston, etc.) instead of all of that Leo Di Caprio or Brad Pitt or Richard Gere stuff the girls my age used to watch. So, I've always been considered a strange girl. I've always had more interest in reading and music than in boys. Anyway, I find quite difficult to find a guy that really fits me, because most of them seem to feel threatened when talking to me, because I can't keep the kind of conversation "ordinary" girls keep. Anyway I don't give up hope. I'm sure someday I'll find a man who finds appealing to talk to a woman who doesn't care about clothes or make-up so much, who thinks that Beethoven is an eargasm and who can quote Star Wars, Lord of the Rings or Shakespeare word by word. Or maybe not. I guess what I tend to look for is an intellectual match more than a sexual or emotional match. I can fall in love with just an interesting conversation. Maybe this is something I have in common with Sherlock 

About Benedict, I think he may be having his "I love me" stage, but as you said, I can't blame him. If he is the kind of man I think he is, I'm sure he'll get over it pretty soon. He's always seemed pretty down-to-earth to me. Let's hope he finds someone good for him, I'm sure he will.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 25, 2012 12:14 pm  #16

Irene, my heart reaches out for you. I was exactly the kind of girl you describe having been yourself. I was very lucky to meet my husband early in my life, who clearly considered brainy the new sexy and liked that I was the woman who beat him, though it was only at chess, lol! Though I had two previous boyfriends who split up with me explicitly for that reason.Flipside: I realized my own attractiveness only late in life. It has never become something integrated into my personality, but it hurts a bit, that my husband never seems to see it, probably, because it has never been important to him. Oh well, better this way than the other way round, I guess.
Now, look at us, getting all personal over a tv show! Anyway, I wish you the best of luck Irene!

As to Ben Cumberbatch: I could't care less about his private life. I'm never drawn to actors themselves, but to the characters, they play. I have seen Ben in  other roles , and while I always thougt him to be a very talented actor with a great voice, I never found him especially attractive. Sherlock draws the best out of him, and the stylists have been magnificent with him. Just everything fits and falls into place.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 25, 2012 12:27 pm)

March 25, 2012 12:53 pm  #17

I know what you mean, it's definitely important to be with someone of equal or perhaps even slightly greater intelligence than yourself, otherwise life will get rather boring and unchallenging.

March 25, 2012 1:00 pm  #18

Well geez, look at us. We're no help to the poor man are we?!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 1:19 pm  #19

Irene : well your case is similar like me, well let's do our best and keep trying! :D

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 25, 2012 1:46 pm  #20

Yeah we'd just want to talk about Sherlock all the time - he might get a bit sick of that after a while!

Board footera