BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2014 12:35 pm  #1

The Walking Dead

Any one watching? I've just finished series/season 1 and just started season 2 (trying to avoid spoilers) if to watch it, what do you think? My daughter and I were chatting about the script etc. and what we would  do story-wise to strengthen it. From the new season, it looks like the writers did the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 6, 2014 2:32 pm  #2

Re: The Walking Dead

I'm a huge fan of the comics so I've been watching from the begining.  LOVE IT!

Getting a little nervous about the next season.  There are hints that something from the comics that really upset me may be happening in the show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 12, 2014 10:39 am  #3

Hey! we seem to have much the same taste in shows eh!

I think some found season 2 slow moving but I really like it when time is taken with a show and character development.

I've still got to watch Season 4, I've done my normal thing and not realised it has already started here (we are way behind the US!) now I have to manage to watch the first few episodes somehow! Getting a decent laptop with Flashplayer will help! Now I am worried about season 5 too. The trouble is no character is sacrosanct...scares me!    

Who is/are your favourite character/s? I think Daryl is the most fascinating character but Andrew Lincoln (Clutterbuck really, and a Brit) does an awesome job with Rick's character.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 12, 2014 1:36 pm  #4

Yes, Andrew nails Rick's character.  And I did know he's a Brit because of Love Actually. 

Daryl is amazing.  Love him.  But did you know he's an original character for the show?  Him and his brother not in the comics at all.

I also like Carol very much.  As she started out she could've ended up a one note character.  But she has grown to be very complex and interesting.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 13, 2014 10:44 am  #5

Yep, I knew about the characters of Daryl and Merle. Norman auditioned for the role of Merle originally, I believe and then they wrote the character of Daryl specifically for him. I had forgotten about Love Actually  . Although it ended badly, Merle was able to redeem himself ultimately. Although, that moment when Daryl finds him 'turned' was incredibly sad. 

I also find Carol to be a great character, with real depth. She certainly understands Daryl and his motivations/experiences. I loved that scene in the stables (I think it was) when he rages at her, trying his best to make her reject him. ( This hit a note for me as my daughter experienced almost exactly the same scenario with a guy she met last year who also had an abusive upbringing. She saw right through it of course...her response to him was, 'So, does this normally work for you?' )

September 19, 2014 7:04 am  #6

Ooooo excitement builds. Not long until Season 5. Meanwhile I have won something very special (well it is to me) on eBay, relating to the show! When it has safely arrived I shall let you know. I've also ordered Norman Reedus's  book (photography) which is now on its way from the good ol' USA. I'll let you know what I think when it finally arrives (it's going to take weeks, what with customs & all). Bit excited all round me! 

September 29, 2014 12:06 pm  #7

Soooo! Firstly, season 1-4 (yes 4 which I haven't managed to see yet) arrived in the post today. The other thing has arrived safely!! A real hand-signed photo of Daryl and Merle signed by Norman Reedus  and Michael Rooker  .It is wonderful and I shall treasure it! In addition I also managed to win (on good old eBay) another photo with authentic autographs of Danai Gurira and Norman (both sitting on his motorcycle). Can you tell that I am having a massive fangirling moment here! 

September 29, 2014 12:58 pm  #8

I am so excited for Season 5 next week!!!

Ya know.  Walking Dead is filmed around Atlanta and south Georgia and I really need to go visit the sets.  They have a nice set up where they filmed Woodbury that has a coupleo of shops and stuff.  Can't believe I haven't done this!!!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 29, 2014 5:31 pm  #9

Just got myself a one day pass for Saturday the 18th!!

http://www.walkerstalkercon.com/atlanta/

Half the cast will be there!   I can't afford any of the autograph or photo ops but I'm happy to just hear them on the panels.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 29, 2014 6:04 pm  #10

tonnaree wrote:

Just got myself a one day pass for Saturday the 18th!!

http://www.walkerstalkercon.com/atlanta/

Half the cast will be there!   I can't afford any of the autograph or photo ops but I'm happy to just hear them on the panels.

I hope you will have a good time despite the lack of autograph....Enjoy yourself

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

September 30, 2014 11:18 am  #11

Arrrggghhhh! If ONLY I could be there! One day eh! Have a wonderful time and get some photos maybe, even if it's just general  stuff.

Norman's photography book, 'The Sun's Coming Up Like A Big Bald Head', arrived this morning, much quicker from the US than I expected (the estimate was a lot longer). I am taking my time looking at each photo. The forewords by Andrew Lincoln and others (including Debbie Harry) are great- Andrew's is particularly funny! I am sooo happy! If you go www.bigbaldhead.com  you can actually see the forewords/reviews.

So, I have now watched episodes 1-4 of Season 4 (since yesterday) and my heart was gong bumpity, bumpity, bump! Talk about scary moments!  Season 5 starts 24 hours after you guys over 'The Pond'.   

September 30, 2014 2:04 pm  #12

Have you ever read the comics?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 30, 2014 10:12 pm  #13

No, I haven't but I am now sorely tempted to. Episode 5 Season 4 made me cry (I think Ben Howard's song 'Oats in the Water' finished me) and  I have just finished Episode 8 of Season 4 and am now actually a bit traumatised. 

October 1, 2014 12:53 am  #14

The show is not exactly like the comics but retains the same basic feel and drive.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 1, 2014 11:28 am  #15

Just watched David Morrissey (The Governor) in a TV show Northern English accent and all. Bit weird after watching TWD last night. And no Walkers! Keep half expecting one to pop up! 

Off to watch Episode 9 in a bit- I am going to put on my full metal emotional jacket- still a bit 'wobbly' after the last episode! Woke up thinking about it this morning. 

October 1, 2014 11:54 am  #16

I watched S1-4 on German TV but I have a few gaps in S3 and 4. Most times I recorded the episodes because they were aired late during the week and because of deviations I missed beginnings or endings.
Well the Blu-Rays are on my Christmas wishlist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 1, 2014 12:01 pm  #17

So you're on Season 4, Episode 9?  You ain't seen nothing yet.  Episode 14 will rip you to pieces. 

I first knew David Morissey from British tv so for me it was unusual to hear him with a Southern accent!  He was originally suppose to be at Walker Stalker con but had to cancel.  So dissapointed!  Would've loved to have him and Andrew on a panel,

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 3, 2014 8:06 pm  #18

Oh my Lord! Well I finished all the other episodes. 14 was so, so sad , quite devastating. The big Daryl/ Beth episode was also terrific (made me cry), The scene inside the moonshine hut with the drinking game which then ran to outside...oh my goodness. Also the scene in the funeral home when Daryl gets trapped...my heart was going bumpity, bumpity bump!

I found this season to be a real roller coaster ride: screaming, tears (lots) and even parts that made me feel a bit sick. Absolutely fantastic but certainly emotionally draining. I cannot wait until the 13th October but am filled with a slight sense of dread combined with excitement. How will they escape Terminus? Who will live?  Who will die? Will Daryl get his poncho back? 

I am now watching all the extras on DVD. Really extensive extras, well worth buying a box set. 

October 3, 2014 10:36 pm  #19

Sounds like you're having fun!

14 was one of the hardest episodes ever to watch.   But I understand why Carol did what she did.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 4, 2014 1:20 pm  #20

I agree. It was terrible (I mean the content and the emotions it evoked). Reminded me a little of a Greek or Shakespearean tragedy in some respects.

The additional material is brilliant!

Board footera