BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2012 8:07 pm  #1

My praise for PINK

Just finished watching Study in Pink. Again. (It's a bit of a blur – I totally lost count how often I've been doing this!)
Army doctor – Angelo's – Taxi Chase - Drugs bust – Blanket…
How many wonderful moments can be found in there – absolute feel good overkill after a day with stressful office work, rain and dentist's appointment!

(Can I please marry this episode? )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 24, 2012 10:40 pm  #2

Re: My praise for PINK

And don't forget about Mycroft!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 24, 2012 11:07 pm  #3

Oh, yes, Pink is fantastic...

I would add Mycroft scenes too (I love him so much...) and I specially like the conversation he has with Sherlock at the end of the episode. John looking to them with a shock face... "mummy", "he's always been so resentful... you can imagine Christmas dinners", "try not to start a war before I get home...", "putting on weight again?"... it's so funny and so well played. The three of them are absolutely great in that scene.

I always laugh quite a lot when Lestrade says "it's a drugs bust". The way he says it, the look on his face... hilarious. Anderson's "oh, I volunteered". John trying to defend a guy he has just met "- No. - What? - You. - Shut up!!". And of course, "Anderson, don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street".

And talking about Anderson... the way Sherlock reveals he has been sleeping with Sally. And that glorious moment "-Rache. It means revenge in German. She could be trying to tell us... - Yes, thank you for your input *closes door on his nose*."

This episode is so full of great moments. Damn, now I have to watch it again... 

Edit: Oh, and I forgot about John trying to hit on Anthea... "- We met earlier this evening. - Oh. - Ok."

Last edited by Irene_Adler (April 24, 2012 11:35 pm)

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 25, 2012 9:17 am  #4

I love the episode and watch it with attention - there are so many bits in the episode that make think YES! - I think the episode is good for the soul especially after a bad day...

Watson: Anytime you want to include me... "No, I'm Sherlock Holmes. I always work alone because no one else can compete with my massive intellect!"

April 30, 2012 12:22 pm  #5

Irene_Adler wrote:

I always laugh quite a lot when Lestrade says "it's a drugs bust". The way he says it, the look on his face... hilarious.

Rupert Graves' delivery of that line is so brilliant, delivering it with such glee:  you can tell that Lestrade is so pleased with himself at this idea.  And I love the writing of this line: "They're none of them, strictly speaking, on the drug squad, but they're all very keen."  Haha.

tobeornot221b wrote:

Just finished watching Study in Pink. Again. (It's a bit of a blur – I totally lost count how often I've been doing this!)
Army doctor – Angelo's – Taxi Chase - Drugs bust – Blanket…

All such great, great moments.  Regarding the taxi chase, their giggling together at the flat at the end of it was so wonderful (echoed with ASiB and giggling at the palace).  I love how Steven Moffat is mindful to insert these moments of their just enjoying each other's company so that when Serious Drama comes, you understand the basis for why Sherlock and John like each other and risk life and limb for each other.

I also love the "Did he offer you money to spy on me? ... Pity, we could have split the fee" exchange.  Also love Sherlock's little smile when John asks, "Do people usually assume you're the murderer?"  It's like Sherlock is all ready to be defensive and annoyed at having to explain himself, and John just diffuses that completely with the bit of humor.

June 12, 2012 6:57 am  #6

LaconicLurker wrote:

All such great, great moments.  Regarding the taxi chase, their giggling together at the flat at the end of it was so wonderful (echoed with ASiB and giggling at the palace).  I love how Steven Moffat is mindful to insert these moments of their just enjoying each other's company so that when Serious Drama comes, you understand the basis for why Sherlock and John like each other and risk life and limb for each other.

This has got to be my most favorite SiP moment (among all the great moments in the episode). At one time, I wanted to go...awww, group hug! 

June 12, 2012 11:33 am  #7

PINK is one of my favorite episodes too. So many wonderful moments:

The opening scenes with John sitting so terribly lost and alone in that miserable little room.  His sadness/depression is palpable - and then you see the gun in the drawer. Uh oh. Thank goodness he pulls out the laptop instead.

"Nothing ever happens to me" as a segue into the main story is just wonderful.

Stamford's knowing little smirks as Sherlock starts to do his observation magic on John

Loved that they addressed "the elephant in the room" gay motif circulating in the fan world for years in the restaurant scene. It was done in such a lovely, charming way.  When John says, "It's all fine" it really is fine. His words reflect a more open and accepting society perfect for this updated version of SH.

The growth of their friendship through-out with Sherlock's tight little smiles becoming warm and genuine by the end.

Loved the intense word interplay and game of chance between Sherlock and the cabbie.  It was a long scene but the brilliant acting and the camera work had me on the edge of my chair.

I could just go on and on but time does not permit right now......

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 17, 2012 11:06 pm  #8

Some comments:

-- When the cabbie said he couldn't name his sponsor/say who Sherlock's fan was, did the name Voldemort pop into anyone else's mind besides mine?
-- What is the cabbie's accent and what does it tell the audience about the type of person he is, such as his socio-economic class?
-- Rewatching ASIP yet again, it struck me that Sherlock is basically torturing the cabbie by putting his foot on the shoulder where the bullet wound was.  Another revealing insight into Sherlock's character: He can be ruthless not just with his words but also his actions.  Though I would think the police might want to know why his shoe has blood on it; perhaps that's one reason Lestrade insists on talking to him further.
-- I also love the drug bust scene; everything about it is hilarious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 19, 2012 2:46 pm  #9

The cabbie is played by Phil Davis who was born in Grays, which is in Essex, in 1953. He has what is described as a 'cockney' accent, although strictly speaking he is not a Cockney, as you have to be born within the sound of Bow Bells to qualify and Grays is too far away.

Many families were moved to Council Estates in places like Grays immediately after the war due to the shortage of housing due to bombing (others moved from the slums of the East End of London to Council Estates, such as those in Dagenham, in the 1930s). It is therefore highly likely that his family moved from the East End and that explains his accent. People in the parts of Essex that are nearest to London tend to have this accent.

Generally this accent is the one spoken by people of a wide range of social classes and strata in this area. More specifically, however, it would be seen to be an accent of the working class. Many of those who speak with this accent do not actually think that they speak with this accent; their perception is different from reality.

There is a very interesting, if slightly dated, article about Phil Davis in the link below.

www.guardian.co.uk/film/2004/jun/26/1

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 3:09 pm  #10

I also love this episode, and love it more every time I re-watch! 

The flashes of vulnerability under John's tough exterior, revealed over and over again.
Again, the evolution of Sherlock's smile until we get the smiles of genuine affection in the closing scene.
The straightening of his shoulders and jutting of his chin before John says "I don't have to."
The retrospective chill of having seen the gun in John's desk drawer (don't catch that the first time, do we?).
Great man...good man quote from Lestrade...and Mycroft's "that doctor fellow may be the making of my brother..."

What a wonderful combination; acting, writing and directing!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 19, 2012 3:41 pm  #11

Thanks for the info and link, Davina.  Very interesting about Phil Davis.  I saw Quadrophenia when it came out and Vera Drake is on my list of movies to see.  Now I'll appreciate them all the more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 20, 2012 7:25 pm  #12

Another favorite:

"Not good?"  "Bit not good."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

June 20, 2012 9:03 pm  #13

A great quote. It's the slow realisation for Sherlock that he may have said something inappropriate and then looking to John for guidance. Sweet!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2012 2:57 pm  #14

Instead of doing the work I have to do I preferred to jump a bit on my rebounder and once again watch the first 20 minutes of ASiP. Of course, the more you watch the more you see (or observe). When John opens his laptop at the very beginning there is an apple and a tea mug on the table which reminded me of the uncomfortable tea party with Moriarty. I can't say if there is any connection, it just occurred to me for the first time.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 21, 2012 3:15 pm  #15

Davina wrote:

It's the slow realisation for Sherlock that he may have said something inappropriate and then looking to John for guidance.

I love that scene.  Also, it shows that Sherlock is already beginning to rely on John as his interpreter of emotion.  But it did strike me as a little...interesting...because Sherlock has only just met John yet here he is already looking to him for guidance.

June 24, 2012 3:07 am  #16

And, just when I think I've seen every little thing in this episode, something else jumps out on re-watching.

In the cab, when Sherlock is explaining his deductions about Harry, he mentions the marks on the charging port of the phone.  He explains that Harry's hands trembled when he went to plug it in at night.  At that moment, John looks down at his hand, he knows he's put some of the marks on it. 

Love this show!

September 25, 2012 1:50 am  #17

I second that. Everybody remembers the episode with Irene but I've got to say the first episode in the series is still my favorite. Sherlock & John's dash thru London's back alleys (John minus his cane and consequent discovery of lack of it) was one of the most joyous things i've seen on tv. I went Cheshire .

September 26, 2012 12:40 am  #18

Oh, yes. This is where we see Sherlock and John get to know each other. And we get to know them. Hurray for Pink. I also love TRF, although it's hard to watch.

October 5, 2012 6:56 pm  #19

It's my favourite of Steven's episodes to date, but it's still only number 4 on my list!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera