BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2014 6:29 pm  #1

Martin's press appearances generally

Somewhere to put articles and interviews in which more than one of Martin's projects are covered, as, for instance:

The Wrap has posted an interview with Martin, in which he discusses his Emmy nominations, Fargo, Richard III, and, yes, a bit of Sherlock.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

August 6, 2014 7:50 pm  #2

Re: Martin's press appearances generally

Good idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 6, 2014 8:35 pm  #3

Ah, lovely Martin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 6, 2014 9:45 pm  #4

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Good idea.

Thank you! 

August 6, 2014 10:18 pm  #5

August 6, 2014 11:55 pm  #6

Excellent!

August 7, 2014 8:01 am  #7

Benny?!? That's cute  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

August 12, 2014 7:21 pm  #8

Goldderby audio interview. Mainly Fargo, but also about Sherlock http://goldderby.libsyn.com/martin-freeman-on-fargo-and-sherlock 

September 1, 2014 2:18 pm  #9

New interview : www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/newsreview/features/article1452730.ece . On tumblr you can read the rest ( http://incurablylazydevil.tumblr.com/ ).

Very-Long-Rant-Modus (sorry folks, if you have already a bad day, can you skip it?)

I so hate when the press compare two actors in unsimilar positions and put them one against each other. Especially when the ton of the whole article is negative (starting with "consolation prize") . Benedict can nothing against that he is taller or better looking or more photogenic. Neither Martin for the matter. Both worked hard the last 20 years to get here. to get the reputation of very good actors, nothing was gifted but won through hard work. If Benedict would have been only looks and swagger, he woudn't have come so far. One may get more lucky and get more chances to show what he can, but that doesn't make the other a loser or a lesser talent. Yes, looks is very important in industry. Already when a script is written (especially after a book or real persons), there are limitations how the actors involved might look. The preference for good or special distinctive looking for the lead roles is pronounced, especially in Hollywoood. I am actually very glad that in Uk that is lesser the case and we get a wide range of looks to see, especially in BBC series and especially for the women. Nonetheless, especially because Martin doesn't bring such a distinctive Hollywood look, should actually tell the critics the amount of talent Martin should have to surmount the difficulties of castings and to get all the roles he got.

So instead to have a positive article about the Emmy win, we have dodgy comparison, snarky remarks about the not successfully roles of Martin, snarks about Richard III. Great! And to top on that "the everyman". How can a journalist wanting to speak with someone about his Emmy win be more negative or dense is beyond me. Because is enough if he would have made his lesson and read 10 interviews with Martin to know how wunded is Martin about this label. It has always sound dismissive to his work, like it is very easy to portray a normal human being without extraordinary features, oh yes, he has just to play himself or put the same coat and voila, everything is done.
First i am irked about this label "everyman". I have done nothing special in my life, i am not extraordinary in any way and i still don't think about me that i am "everywoman". I have my own head, i have my own opinions, my own path and no one in the whole milliards of people has that.
Second each so called "everyman" role Martin has played, has a unique 3D dimension about them, none is similar with the other even Martin may use the same smile or the same hand movement. What is similar please between Bilbo and Watson and Arthur Dent and Tim to speak only few of his roles? they have different motivations, they will react different when dangers come or when they have to choose, they express different their emotions. They may look like unlikely heroes, the eternal reluctant hero archetype, and here is where the similarities ends.

So, instead of asking some really clever questions about his roles and Martin so likes to talk about his roles, he is so enthusiastic about them and can give such good insides about them (there are some really good Fargo interviews out there for example, which share a light about his way of seeing Lester, which then explains his way to act him). Or about his opinions about everything starting with Gaza for which he made the charity message - and he is not afraid to speak about his opinions, he is not the PC kind of man, doesn't give beauty pageant answers. Instead of a great interview who could be cited years to come, we get the same same questions and negativity because is more show biz,  looks more clever and brings perhaps more attention.
Can we please pay a real journalist, real into acting and films, to ask Martin a day long some really interesting questions about Watson and Sherlock?

Rant-Modus end.

September 1, 2014 2:23 pm  #10

That interview just pissed me off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 1, 2014 3:08 pm  #11

I was very disappointed by the bad journalistic approach. Martin does not deserves such a treatment. And as you say, it is very unfair to compare two actors/men who are so different in every way, especially because in "Sherlock" it is this very difference that makes the chemistry so compelling. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 1, 2014 3:56 pm  #12

I couldn't even get through that interview.

I'm a little baffled by the presumption that Ben is more handsome or photogenic or whatever than Martin. Neither guy has traditional Hollywood leading man looks. Martin's a little shorter and stockier than I normally like guys, but I still think he's incredibly good looking (those eyes!). He's the one I drool over in Sherlock, not Ben. I was also a fan of Martin long before I knew about Ben. Heck, it took till series three for me to even notice Ben and remember his name. I didn't even recognize him in Star Trek. Martin was a big name actor before Ben as well. This interview just makes me angry.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

September 1, 2014 4:18 pm  #13

Both of them have been slogging away in acting for years - I don't see the point in comparing their careers in that way.   But I do understand the "everyman" tag (and also why Martin might be fed up with it).   It's partly due to the roles he's been offered, but he seems particularly gifted at playing those sort of characters that people can identify with.   I first loved him as Tim, and when I heard he'd been cast as Arthur Dent, I was delighted.  When I heard he was playing Bilbo, I thought it was perfect.   I don't see it as an insult at all, but a compliment.  Those characters are different, but I do see something in common between them, and it is that everyman thing, something to do with being ordinary people in ordinary lives (like us, the audience, supposedly), somehow thrust into an adventure.  Bilbo turns out to be heroic, obviously, but I think it should be easy to identify with the characters and Martin is excellent at letting us do that.  Can't really explain it better at the moment. 

What's interesting is that John Watson could have been an everyman character, but isn't. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 1, 2014 4:19 pm)

September 2, 2014 1:46 pm  #14

From the whole interview, the most interesting part is this one:
"Will Sherlock leave them alone to be happily married? “Presumably not. It’s the tensions within those characters that make the show. Now that Mary is very much part of the setup, that can’t be a happy, or rather a straightforward, thing. Without the tension between John and Sherlock there is no show. So no, it won’t be un-rocky.”"

It implies quite a lot the mood of S4.

Last edited by A lovely light (September 2, 2014 1:48 pm)

September 2, 2014 1:58 pm  #15

Tbh, I'm not quite sure what to think of this. As I'm a bit pessimistic these days as in which direction the show will head this sounds too me a bit like the dreaded threesome " Oh look, funny, how they stumble to come to terms with each other, haha."

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 2, 2014 2:26 pm  #16

Well Moffat promised S4 will be more darker, so perhaps they won't take this aproach. Even in S3, they didn't do neither Mary - John or Mary - Sherlock relationship for laugh, why should they start in S4? 

For me the most important word is "tension", tension between Sherlock and John. Misunderstandings or different opinion? Would Mary take further Sherlock part or Sherlock Mary part? 

September 9, 2014 7:07 am  #17

Not an interview, but for the lack of another thread where i can put it: https://storify.com/bbctwo/happy-birthday-martin-freeman . It's just so hilarious.  (BBC One went just for weird ballons instead https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/508939117053624320 ) .

September 10, 2014 6:45 am  #18

A lovely light wrote:

Not an interview, but for the lack of another thread where i can put it: https://storify.com/bbctwo/happy-birthday-martin-freeman . It's just so hilarious.  (BBC One went just for weird ballons instead https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/508939117053624320 ) .

Thanks for throwing that in anyway!  Love it… 
(especially the balloon one.  Playfully perfect, with his 'typical' look, as though saying 'what the hell are all these balloons for behind me?')

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

September 25, 2014 6:37 pm  #19

I think i should make a "fun-appearances" thread. Because i have to add somewhere this: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nasas-space-station-expedition-42-poster-spoofs-hitchhikers-guide-galaxy-1467225 

September 26, 2014 8:09 am  #20

Hahahah! That's really funny! What a great idea! It's really well made (also the other posters).

Board footera