BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2014 6:47 am  #1

Why did they bring the gun to Appledore?

Sorry if we had this already but it just made me think - why does Sherlock tell John to bring his gun to his parents? He must have expected to be searched when they arrived at Appledore because Magnussen had his men search them in Baker Street as well. They obviously were not searched but it was more than probable. I think it would be a bit too easy to say it is just a means to get the gun where it is needed for the sake of storytelling. Any ideas?

Last edited by SusiGo (August 5, 2014 7:58 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 5, 2014 7:45 am  #2

Re: Why did they bring the gun to Appledore?

Maybe Sherlock expected Magnussen feeling safe enough in his own house? That Magnussen would never expect Sherlock or John going that far?
Nah ... that's a poor explanation ... hmm ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 7:55 am  #3

Well, you could be on the right track, gently. When they searched Sherlock and John in 221B, all they found was a stupid tyre lever and a pocket knife. CAM might have thought that there is no danger when Sherlock and John come into his house - and after all, he was there when Mary shot Sherlock and he had John thrown into the bonfire. Seems that John and Sherlock always are in danger rather than emanating danger.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 5, 2014 8:02 am  #4

Yes, Magnussen seems to be very convinced. Even when they waited outside for Mycroft and his men ... what did he shout? "They are harmless!"
In this respect Magnussen totally underestimated Sherlock.

Last edited by gently69 (August 5, 2014 8:09 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 8:06 am  #5

Yes, that is true. What suddenly struck me was the question how far Sherlock would be willing to go. If maybe he had thought of killing Magnussen as the very last resort. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 5, 2014 8:10 am  #6

Sherlock certainly did. You can see it in his face when he finally realised that there are no vaults.

Last edited by gently69 (August 5, 2014 8:11 am)

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 8:13 am  #7

It's an interesting one and also one I find painful to discuss.
I was genuinely shocked by Sherlock, though I guess I shouldn't have been.
I can only live with it by hearing the boss's words ringing in my ears: make no mistake, he did this for John alone.
And that's it, it's showing there is nothing Sherlock wouldn't do for John.
 I also like to think Sherlock  took the gun for protection...I think it was a last minute decision to shoot CAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 5, 2014 8:16 am  #8

True. And the pic gently posted is the exact moment Sherlock realises that he has to kill Magnussen if he wants to protect John. He knows it well before the face flicking and the threats. This is so brilliantly played by Benedict. 

I was shocked as well when watching it the first time. And this is again what I love about the show - always coming back full circle. John shooting the cabbie for Sherlock, Sherlock shooting Magnussen for John (although at a much higher cost to himself). 

August 5, 2014 8:27 am  #9

SusiGo wrote:

True. And the pic gently posted is the exact moment Sherlock realises that he has to kill Magnussen if he wants to protect John. He knows it well before the face flicking and the threats. This is so brilliantly played by Benedict.

Another proof of his extraordinary acting skills!!!

SusiGo wrote:

I was shocked as well when watching it the first time.

I remember a bunch of girls in a hotel room in front of a small TV screen hardly breathing anyway but in this moment ...

Last edited by gently69 (August 5, 2014 8:28 am)

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 8:30 am  #10

Yes. Indeed. But I wonder if I breathed at all during that episode. 

August 5, 2014 8:36 am  #11

I certainly had a "low" breathing the whole episode through.

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 8:45 am  #12

What just struck me is the fact that after CAM's visit at 221B, when Sherlock and John leave the flat and talk about going to CAM's office in the evening, Sherlock tells John "Don't bring a tyre lever or a knife or a gun" - it's the exact opposite to what he's telling him at Christmas.
That's interesting. Is that interesting? Why is it interesting?  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 5, 2014 8:48 am  #13

Yes, it is interesting. Sherlock did not know at this point that Magnussen was going to threaten Mary resp. John. And that he was behind the kidnapping of John. 

August 5, 2014 8:52 am  #14

It's kind of tragic, because it illustrates how wrong he was about Magnussen almost from the very start. Those moments in 221B really make me feel so bad, because Magnussen is so very much in power and Sherlock is just standing there, irritated at times, but it's clear that he still believes he has the upper hand. He is so wrong about so many things in that episode... Mary, to start with...  

August 5, 2014 9:02 am  #15

Yes. And this is a thing I love about series 3 while others dislike it for the same reason. We do not get the omniscient detective but the man who makes mistakes and doubts himself and has to learn so many things about himself and others. IMO this is what they mean by "a show about a detective". 

August 5, 2014 9:03 am  #16

That Sherlock is so totally wrong about Magnussen shows that after all he is only human. He just can't predict everything.
And that he told John not to bring any kind of weapon into Magnussen's office ... Maybe he wanted John from doing a hasty action. Whereas Sherlock know that he could need the gun himself at Appledore.

EDIT:
Gosh, late again.

SusiGo wrote:

Yes. And this is a thing I love about series 3 while others dislike it for the same reason. We do not get the omniscient detective but the man who makes mistakes and doubts himself and has to learn so many things about himself and others. IMO this is what they mean by "a show about a detective". 

I agree a 200 %!!!

Last edited by gently69 (August 5, 2014 9:06 am)

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 9:07 am  #17

He cannot deduce and predict everything and especially not when feelings are involved. And we should not forget that he takes on the Magnussen case during or shortly after the honeymoon, a time in which he is emotionally compromised. So we can assume that he is not at his best when dealing with this extremely clever enemy. 

August 5, 2014 9:09 am  #18

Do you think he would have had control when not "distracted" by all this emotional stuff?

(Tony Hadley)

August 5, 2014 9:10 am  #19

I agree with both of you from the bottom of my heart.
There are other things in S3 I have my problems with, but certainly not Sherlock being the most human human being we've ever seen him be. 

August 5, 2014 9:13 am  #20

gently69 wrote:

Do you think he would have had control when not "distracted" by all this emotional stuff?

It's interesting. Susi drew my attention to a link earlier today which shows that Sherlock is wrong about something at the end of every series. Just think about it: TGG, TRF, HLV. And I think that each time he is distracted by emotions - and they always have to do with John. 

Board footera