BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2014 7:21 pm  #1

A german story in newspaper: Sherlock Holmes, the heart-throb of women

Hello,

I found a very lovely feature about Benedict Cumberbatch and his effects for women. Sorry, it is in german language.

http://www.abendblatt.de/vermischtes/article130741878/Sherlock-Holmes-der-Schwarm-der-Frauen.html

Best Wishes
Bored-to-be-alive

SHERLOCK ♥
I have to thank you for the inspiration you give to me.
You made me change my mind in so many ways.

August 3, 2014 7:43 pm  #2

Re: A german story in newspaper: Sherlock Holmes, the heart-throb of women

But to be honest this article isn't that lovely in my opinion.
Read an English version of it already.

Last edited by gently69 (August 3, 2014 7:44 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 3, 2014 7:56 pm  #3

Okay, I stopped reading this when the author talked about the "actor who appears asexual". Confusing the role (Sherlock) with the real person, if you ask me. Sherlock might appear asexual, but Benedict...? Please! 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 3, 2014 8:04 pm  #4

Everything about Benedict is negative in this article. And also as fan you are considered to be ... strange because you admire him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

August 3, 2014 9:02 pm  #5

I didn't like the article either, the things it said about Benedict were rather negative and it made his female fans seem like total weirdos.
It' s strange to see an article like that in the Hamburger Abendblatt, I normally like their writing a lot, especially in the Feuilleton.

August 3, 2014 9:17 pm  #6

It's just a translation from an English article. Susi, where was it again?

(Tony Hadley)

August 4, 2014 4:52 am  #7

Oh, am I from another planet?
What's going on here?
I don't understand.....
Just wanted to share my love and my enthuasiasm.
And now I'm really sad.
All you said is:
WRONG!
Is it a question of taste?

(I have to admit, that the writer mixed Sherlock and Benedict.)
Shall I cancel this post?
But maybe you don't like me because I am not benedicted just sherlocked?
I'm really confused, surprised, baffled...

SHERLOCK ♥

August 4, 2014 6:54 am  #8

No, you don't have to delete this post. If see it the other way around it's fine.
Maybe we just understand the article in a different way. The only postive comment I read in it is that Benedict HAS so many fans who are crazy about him. Everything else ... sorry but not acceptable for me.

(Tony Hadley)

August 4, 2014 7:13 am  #9

Bored, this has nothing to do with being Sherlocked vs being Cumberbatched.
Although this article mainly talks about Benedict and not Sherlock, so I would assume that it's not even all that interesting for you, either, just because Sherlock is not the main topic. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 4, 2014 7:20 am  #10

Hey Bored-to-be-alive, I'm sorry I made you feel sad and confused, that was not intended at all. And I don't have a problem with you preferring Sherlock to Benedict, that is totally fine for me. We all like different things about the series, its characters and their actors and it's really great to see all the enthusiasm about it.
I just found the article too mocking, ridiculing the fans a little too much. I mean, I just spend 100 pounds only to be able to get tickets to see Benedict on stage in advance, so maybe I am slightly crazy, but I don't want to see this fact in print in a rather serious newspaper .

August 4, 2014 8:56 am  #11

@Bored: It's not that we don't like you, we just don't like the article
Of course you are free to post whatever you find in the newspaper (except paparazzi stuff) and we can discuss it here.
It may have been meant not as bad as it reads, but to me it has a (very) bitter taste.
Also if I were Jackie I wouldn't be too proud about the report....

Reading the sentence again, the writer might have meant Sherlock, not Benedict though:
"..die seit dem Start der Serie "Sherlock" nach den Büchern von Arthur Conan Doyle einem etwas anämischen und fast asexuell anmutenden Briten verfallen ist."
Maybe she means Sherlocked, not Benaddicted.

But still.... if this article should be ironic I cannot really see it.
She's making fun of us and Benedict and I don't like it.

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 4, 2014 8:57 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 4, 2014 9:30 am  #12

I am sorry you are feeling sad, Bored. So please let me explain:

On the one hand it is nice that Benedict finally gets some attention in German media but this article ridicules his fans (some of which are quite mad but where does madness start? I had my nerves in tatters for hourse trying to get Hamlet tickets last Friday). But for me the worst thing about it is that it ridicules and insults him - "spießiger Ehrgeizling"? And this is not Sherlock they are talking about but Benedict as a person. Why do they call him that? Because he is well-educated and likes reading books? Is it so strange that women find a brainy man sexy? 

On another note: I have read other articles in that vein, in German as well as in British media. And I have no idea why they try to ridicule his fans who love his work, his good manners, his commitment to charities, his friendly and humorous way. Why do they never mention the enormous sums his fans donate to his chosen charities? Or the friendships via borders and continents that grew among his fans (and I am speaking from experience). This is what makes me really sad. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 4, 2014 9:33 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 4, 2014 11:40 am  #13

Thank you for your sympathy and your understanding.

In the morning I felt very ashamed at work and I shivered and had palpitations.

“Live is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.”

I hate to be misunderstood and that made me very sad and desperate. When I was reading all your postings early in the morning, I felt like a loser. I heard: “You cannot be a good fan if you like this report on newspaper.”

I never thought for one second that the writer flouted, but maybe I am just greenly? I was so happy to read that Sherlock/Ben has so many fans as Leonardo Di Caprio during the Titanic-movie. The loyalty of fans touched me. When I felt in love with Sherlock a few months ago I wondered that I was not the only woman who loves that man. I always thought, all women are crazy for kind of man like Bruce Willies or Brad Pitt or so. I thought my taste is individual and strange. Sherlock/Ben has a special kind of beauty. I guess, you know what I mean.

The reason why I was so down is that I am mentally ill. Another tragic is that I have advanced training in journalism. I felt like a loser, when I saw that I advised bad journalism apparently. But now I am a little bit more clever and  YOU  all gave me a lesson.

But it showed me too, that there are a lot of different ways to read something and to interpret it. Sometimes I look through pink glasses. That seems to be ancillary effect of beeing amatory. I am in love with a dream figure. But this love is my medicine.

Thank you for reading.

Best regards
Bored-to-be-alive

SHERLOCK ♥

August 4, 2014 11:52 am  #14

I'd say "relax, dear"  certainly no reason to feel a loser or even having palpitations. After all it wasn't you who had written that article (which is in fact a bit trashy but on the other hand i do think that the outside world may see the extreme fandom in that light). No worries! 

August 4, 2014 12:13 pm  #15

Oh Bored dearest, you are being way to hard on yourself.  This forum is a very safe, open minded and accepting place.  There are people here I don't agree with on somethings.  *cough johnlock cough* but I still like them as a person and enjoy they're postings.

Just hang out with us and have fun!  ((((((hugs for bored))))

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 4, 2014 1:51 pm  #16

I calm down.
Happy again.
Thank you.
Nice to be here.

Bored

SHERLOCK ♥

August 6, 2014 11:16 am  #17

Well, the " Hamburger Abendblatt" isn't famous for a great depth in writing ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------               

-------> I am
SHER - LOCKED <-------

August 6, 2014 11:53 am  #18

I think the article originally is from an English newspaper and they just bought the story. But I am not sure about it.

(Tony Hadley)

August 10, 2014 11:42 am  #19

Bored-to-be-alive wrote:

I am in love with a dream figure. But this love is my medicine.

Bored, this is why we are all here!  You expressed it so well!

August 10, 2014 1:12 pm  #20

gently69 wrote:

I think the article originally is from an English newspaper and they just bought the story. But I am not sure about it.

There had been a similar but a bit longer article in the panorama section of  "Welt am Sonntag"  from 27th july called "Aus Liebe zum Gurkenfleck" and it had also focused on this Jackie lady who is appently the runner of the website Benedict-Cumberbach.de.

Last edited by Germansherlockfan (August 10, 2014 1:13 pm)

Board footera