BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2014 2:28 am  #1

My theory as to how Moriarty faked his death?

Assuming that Moriarty is actually coming back, here is how I think he could have faked his death.

Just like Sherlock could not have pulled off his “magic trick” alone, Moriarty also had help. The collaborators were probably members of his criminal network (like maybe Sebastian Moran, who in the canon was Moriarty second hand man). As I do not believe he was by himself at St. Barts on that day.

We begin with the moment where Moriarty shot himself. Except that he didn’t fire anything into his mouth. There were no bullets or even blanks in that gun. I believe it was completely empty. Instead, one of his cohorts fires a gun shot from another rooftop close by in the exact moment that Moriarty pulls the trigger. Thus, the sound nearby creates the illusion that a bullet had been fired from his gun at that moment.

After pulling the trigger, Moriarty falls on the ground. Both Sherlock and we the audience see him on the ground with a pool of blood behind his head. However, when he lands his head on the ground it squishes a packet of fake blood (red-dyed corn syrup as they commonly use in Hollywood), which had been attached to the back of his head and been hidden behind his hair. The fake blood pours slowly but surely out after the packet is squished. Altogether, giving the impression that he had blown his brains out.

Finally, we come the issue of Moriarty’s corpse and what had happened to it. Moriarty lies on the roof pretending to be dead until Sherlock finally jumps. At the exact moment that he jumps, Moriarty gets up and quickly puts numbers into his phone as a way to give a signal. Immediately, members of Moriarty’s network come up on roof and put a body double of him in same spot for the authorities to find. Yes, just like there was a lookalike for Sherlock, Moriarty had his own and had killed whoever the person was so that he could have him pose as his dead body. All of this is happening at the same moment when Sherlock is doing his switch with his own body double on the pavement with the help of his Homeless Network. At the end, Moriarty leaves the hospital and disappears unnoticed.

I don’t think Moriarty realized that Sherlock and Mycroft had been ahead of him the whole time. Yet I also don’t think they that anticipated that Moriarty would have his own exit plan when he was on the roof either.

Anyway, that is my theory. If you have any questions about it do let me know.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (June 25, 2014 2:31 am)

June 25, 2014 2:35 am  #2

Re: My theory as to how Moriarty faked his death?

You're missing just one detail: the sniper was Mary.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 25, 2014 3:57 am  #3

To me, your theory sounds highly unlikely.
Just two points:
 - Moriarty can't expect Sherlock NOT to examine the "corpse" and find out the suicide was a fake
-  The authorities would tell Moriarty from a body double. Remember he was in prison and on trial. They have his identification data.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 25, 2014 8:27 am  #4

Moriarty can't expect Sherlock NOT to examine the "corpse" and find out the suicide was a fake

Why not, Sherlock had thought Irene was dead when he identified her supposedly dead corpse at the morgue in ASiB. Again if he was deceived by Irene Adler’s fake death, why not Moriarty’s. Sherlock can have his missteps at times.

The authorities would tell Moriarty from a body double. Remember he was in prison and on trial. They have his identification data.

Come on we’re talking about Moriarty here, a criminal mastermind who can do pretty much anything he wants. His people certainly could have made it so that his fingerprints or any other traits of identification on that double are an exact match to his. Also, who is to say that people in charge of identification data were not already on his payroll and had it manipulated and changed to his liking.

June 25, 2014 8:43 am  #5

BrettHolmes wrote:

Finally, we come the issue of Moriarty’s corpse and what had happened to it. Moriarty lies on the roof pretending to be dead until Sherlock finally jumps. At the exact moment that he jumps, Moriarty gets up and quickly puts numbers into his phone as a way to give a signal. Immediately, members of Moriarty’s network come up on roof and put a body double of him in same spot for the authorities to find. Yes, just like there was a lookalike for Sherlock, Moriarty had his own and had killed whoever the person was so that he could have him pose as his dead body. All of this is happening at the same moment when Sherlock is doing his switch with his own body double on the pavement with the help of his Homeless Network. At the end, Moriarty leaves the hospital and disappears unnoticed.

So you mean exactly the same as Sherlock. Fake death, get up, dial a number (code) to call accomplices, switch bodies - and vanish. All this at the same time as Sherlock does it.
At least this would be kind of..... "funny". Maybe. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 25, 2014 9:02 am  #6

So you mean exactly the same as Sherlock. Fake death, get up, dial a number (code) to call accomplices, switch bodies - and vanish. All this at the same time as Sherlock does it.
At least this would be kind of..... "funny". Maybe.

Yeahnothing is wrong with throwing in a little humorous irony with the idea that are similarities in how both Sherlock and Moriarty staged both of their demises. As for it being funny, well the show in general is partly comedic so I don't see what the problem would be. Remember "TEH" was played for laughs by toying around with fake fan theories,in fact some think that the final explanation was also joke and not the actual explanation as to how he did it.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (June 25, 2014 9:08 am)

June 25, 2014 9:28 am  #7

I must say, I quite like this theory (as I want Moriarty to be back so desperately that I'm happy about every theory that sounds even just a tiny bit possible). But I just had a random laugh about Moriarty having a packet of fake blood hidden in his hair - well, I'm not an expert but I do not think this man has long enough hair to hide that amount of fake blood in it. :D
Excerpt of course, he was wearing a wig and was wearing those things underneath it...

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

June 25, 2014 9:59 am  #8

I must say, I quite like this theory (as I want Moriarty to be back so desperately that I'm happy about every theory that sounds even just a tiny bit possible). But I just had a random laugh about Moriarty having a packet of fake blood hidden in his hair - well, I'm not an expert but I do not think this man has long enough hair to hide that amount of fake blood in it. :D
Excerpt of course, he was wearing a wig and was wearing those things underneath it..

I'm glad you like it and I will admit the fakeblood packet idea is a bit tricky and a stretch but it was the best I could up to explain how the blood coming from his head. 

Last edited by BrettHolmes (June 25, 2014 10:21 am)

June 25, 2014 6:47 pm  #9

My current fave theory is:
Moriarty twins.
Richard Broolk is the stage name of one of them and he is the one who dies on the roof.
James(Jim) Moriarty still lives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 29, 2014 8:40 pm  #10

I laughed out loud at the final scene, because...

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=35147#p35147 

Of course, until Jim is seen in the flesh, there's no certainty he's back.

And we all know the powers that be keep tabs on these forums, so any ideas thrown out here could potentially be self-fulfilling prophecy. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... there's just one more miracle, Sherlock, for me, don't be dead.

June 29, 2014 8:55 pm  #11

I think the guys have the story lines worked out well in advance....
I am also not entirely sure the Sherlock team are scouring our forum.
Tho I know there are people on twitter who pass info onto BC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 5, 2014 11:02 pm  #12

I think Brettholmes may be on to something here. These are, after all, stories and in every episode you have to overlook logical flaws in order to enjoy the story. 
Having said that, some folks think that Moriarty is going to stay dead and that it is through Jenean or possibly Mary that he will continue to be prominent in the new season.
Add st to the middle of Sebastian Moran's last name and you get Marys fake last name. 

Last edited by Thinbeard (July 5, 2014 11:07 pm)

Board footera