BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2012 9:54 am  #1

Why does Soo Lin Yao live next to Lucky Cat?

Surely if she was trying to distance herself from her brother and the Black Lotus then living right next door to one of their HQs is kind of crazy?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 21, 2012 10:00 am  #2

Re: Why does Soo Lin Yao live next to Lucky Cat?

But her brother didn't live there; he tours with the circus.
Also, I don't think the Lucky Cat was a HQ of any sort, just a drop off point. It may not even be a regular drop off point, just one used while the circus is in town.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 21, 2012 10:03 am  #3

imo it serves the cliché: All Chinese people in London live in Chinatown...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 21, 2012 10:08 am  #4

Oh it certainly is a bit. The whole Chinese thing was VERY over the top cliché.
That was one of the disappointments of this show.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 21, 2012 10:13 am  #5

Haha yeah, true about the cliches.

So it's just a major coincidence that she lives there then? She might not even know they used that place as a drop off point?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 21, 2012 10:24 am  #6

They probably have drop off points everywhere to divert suspicions.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 29, 2012 8:24 pm  #7

Well, sorry to heap aspersions on this already-much-maligned episode, but does anyone else think it absolutely incredible that Sherlock would notice Soo Lin's flat simply because the phone book was outside the door? The open window wasn't on the street, so the resident(s) could in fact have "gone on holiday". And even if it did look suspicious to him, I just can't suspend belief sufficiently to believe that the flat was "coincidentally" rented by Soo Lin.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 30, 2012 7:04 am  #8

Well frankly let's face it, if she didn't live there, there would have been a lot of dead ends & probably would have taken weeks to connect her going missing or being dead with any of the other things going on. In which case an unsolved mystery probably.

Once I remind people , they don't make shows about 'ordinary days where nothing happens', people do their laundry & grocery shopping and the world is a happy place.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 30, 2012 7:17 am  #9

kazza474 wrote:

people do their laundry

I see your "they don't make shows about ordinary days where people do their laundry" and I raise you one Big Bang Theory ;)

edit: typo

Last edited by Wholocked (May 30, 2012 7:17 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 30, 2012 9:03 am  #10

I wish you kids wouldn't talk about shows I have no idea about.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 30, 2012 1:45 pm  #11

kazza474 wrote:

Well frankly let's face it, if she didn't live there, there would have been a lot of dead ends & probably would have taken weeks to connect her going missing or being dead with any of the other things going on. In which case an unsolved mystery probably.

Once I remind people , they don't make shows about 'ordinary days where nothing happens', people do their laundry & grocery shopping and the world is a happy place.

Well, true that. However, that moment seemed almost to have been written by whoever wrote the script for the "National Treasure" movies (which, notwithstanding their utter implausibility, I absolutely loved!).

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

May 31, 2012 1:40 am  #12

@Tantalus That comment about National Treasure made me chuckle. I loved those movies when I was younger (oh my god, that was EIGHT YEARS AGO) but I recently rewatched them and starting poking all these holes in it. Really annoyed my family. Unfortunately, they do the opposite to me when we watch Sherlock. "You know they could trace that call, right?" "You know that Semtex can't be set off by a bullet, right?" And I just want to say "Stop maligning my favorite series!"

I think maybe Soo Lin lived in Chinatown because she was more comfortable with the language? Like even though I've been learning French for two years, I would still want to live in an English area of Paris if I moved there. Just to ease my way. I guess I'm just defending that slightly cliché decision. XD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

May 31, 2012 7:50 am  #13

So much hinged on her living in Chinatown in this episode that they had to have her living there. Of course it is a dreadful cliche, sadly much of that episode is.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 5, 2012 7:31 pm  #14

Or just a happy coincidence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 7:59 pm  #15

I thought her name was next to the door? Or am I remembering wrong?

And also, the guy from the museum left a note for her on her door addressing her I believe?

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 5, 2012 9:50 pm  #16

Er, yes.  Sorry, did I miss something?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 10:40 pm  #17

^ Sorry, I should have quoted who I was responding to, I wasn't responding to your comment. I was referring to -

Tantalus wrote:

Well, sorry to heap aspersions on this already-much-maligned episode, but does anyone else think it absolutely incredible that Sherlock would notice Soo Lin's flat simply because the phone book was outside the door? The open window wasn't on the street, so the resident(s) could in fact have "gone on holiday". And even if it did look suspicious to him, I just can't suspend belief sufficiently to believe that the flat was "coincidentally" rented by Soo Lin.

And a couple other comments questioning how Sherlock knew it was her apt./flat.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 6, 2012 7:27 am  #18

Because it's a TV series and he's Sherlock. 
More on the writing and writer of this episode...elsewhere!

October 6, 2012 8:11 am  #19

besleybean wrote:

Because it's a TV series and he's Sherlock. 
More on the writing and writer of this episode...elsewhere!

Pretty descriptive answer really. Why are ANY 'heroes' in the right place at the right time & guessing the right solutions?
Because if not, you would have a boring show.

I find it fascinating how people want to suspend reality enough to go off on very odd tangents with wild theories & fantasies of future shows, yet the simplest things like 'how come he knew this & that" which are the basis for most shows of this kind are mocked.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 6, 2012 10:22 am  #20

I'm rapidly becoming aware on here that people are prepared to entertain all kinds of fantasies, while choosing to skip by the blindingly obvious! 
This fandom falls over itself with irony upon irony.  Ha!

Board footera