BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2014 12:58 am  #1

Who do you prefer, Burke or Hardwicke?

In the Granada series with Jeremy Brett there were two different actors playing Dr. Watson. In the first series, he was played by David Burke but in the second series and the ones that had followed it was Edward Hardwicke that took on the role.

Burke’s Watson was youthful and playful. He was clearly a man who longed for adventure and the thrill of it all and thus capturing the former Afghan war veteran side to the character very well. Often he would gleefully engage with Holmes in regards to how he comes to his deductions and conclusions. You get the sense that he finds Holmes to be an interesting and fun friend to have. Both him and Holmes come across if they are old college chums that still know how to have a good time.

On the other hand, Hardwicke’s Watson is more serious and thoughtful. Since Holmes took a three-year hiatus after his encounter with Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls, it made sense that Watson would be older and have a different outlook. While Burke’s was all about the joy of living with a man like Holmes, Hardwicke’s suggests the difficulty, as there are moments where he does not put up with Holmes’s nonsense. However, he always shows care and concern for his friend. Not to mention that he captures the medical doctor side of Watson better than anyone. In general, you always get the impression that he is a good-hearted person as well an intelligent person who can hold his own.

So while I do think David Burke has more charm, Edward Hardwicke seems more genuine and thus I lean more towards him. Yet both actors made for truly ideal victorian Watsons that were close to the original stories. Although, this is not to take anything away from Martin Freeman’s excellent modern interpretation of Watson portraying him as an “everyman” that we can all relate to.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (June 11, 2014 1:21 pm)

June 11, 2014 9:21 am  #2

Re: Who do you prefer, Burke or Hardwicke?

Originaly I prefered Burke´s humorous portrayal of Watson. But when I read the canonical ACD´s stories, I gradually warmed up to Hardwicke´s more serious and earnest portrayal. There are some traces of Nigel Bruce´s bufoonery in the way Burke´s Watson is written, while Hardwicke´s Watson is really that good friend and Holmes´ greatest support we know from the books.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera