BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2014 8:07 pm  #1

This wedding is an extremely strange one!

Has anyone noticed HOW strange John's and Mary's wedding is actually being written and filmed?
We neither see a proper proposal nor the wedding ceremony itself. Quite unusual! (Did it really take place in the church? Nobody would know for sure!)
I'd say: The wedding provides just a backdrop for something more important and is meant not to distract from that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 2, 2014 8:12 pm  #2

Re: This wedding is an extremely strange one!

Uhm, yes, I did notice.
Sometimes it seems as if Mary is just sitting there, looking nice, while everything is about Sherlock and John.
I think they step out of a church or a chapel at one point, but you are right, everything you would normally expect to see in an episode that has a wedding at its centre is missing... no wedding vows (but of course we get another vow instead...), no kisses between bride and groom... the focus lies somewhere else entirely. It's a declaration of love - but Mary has nothing to do with it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 2, 2014 8:14 pm  #3

I have to contradict there, tobe. We do see a proposal, and the person concerned is blank- minded in the most sweet way. We do see love confessions, we do see wedding vows. This was their day.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 2, 2014 8:19 pm  #4

No, the proposal in the restaurant was interrupted by Sherlock. At the end of TEH John and Mary were not even engaged yet. Love confession, wedding vows? Umm...not really.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 2, 2014 8:22 pm  #5

I wanted to say the same, tobe, but I felt like mrshouse was talking about another couple 

mrshouse, which couple do you mean? 

Last edited by Harriet (June 2, 2014 8:24 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 2, 2014 8:33 pm  #6

Isn't it obvious which couple the Mrs. is talking about...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 2, 2014 8:34 pm  #7

Hm, basically I meant similar things as Solar . I thought your first post headed there already, tobe. Sorry, if you meant something else, I'll give it a second thought, then. But since it is definitely not around a great crime story in my opinion it's crystal clear between Sherlock and John and there are definitely patterns found in love stories. Just not with John and Mary.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 2, 2014 8:43 pm  #8

I guess tobe is relieved now? tobe? 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 2, 2014 8:48 pm  #9

I can only agree. For me it is a love story between Sherlock and John taking place during a wedding at which a crime is solved. But - and this is the sad thing - it is mainly unrequited love on Sherlock's side, at least most of the time (if we exclude the stag night). 
All the things you expect to see - the proposal, the declaration of love, doing all you can think of to make the other person happy - is between Sherlock and John. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 2, 2014 8:50 pm  #10

....finding places to party, the gowns, seating orders,...

June 2, 2014 8:50 pm  #11

Yes, yes, I'm relieved now! I just observed the unusual way of filming a wedding. Which, of course, is because of the above mentioned reasons. I've got the feeling that there is hardly a happy couple among the wedding guests: Molly and ...T...Tom (having domestics all the time), the not-a-couple Lestrade and Molly, Sherlock and Janine. The one and only true (but not happy) couple is Sherlock and John.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 2, 2014 8:53 pm  #12

I'm actually glad they didn't show the actual wedding ceremony. That kind of thing has been done way too often on TV, and there's few things they could have done there that hadn't been done a hundred times before. And I always find TV weddings über-kitschy, so I personally was happy it was filmed the way it was.

June 2, 2014 8:57 pm  #13

If Mofftiss had shown the actual ceremony they would have shown it different - I'm quite sure! But they didn't show it at all. That's pretty unusual.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 2, 2014 8:58 pm  #14

I think they didn't show the actual wedding ceremony and all those other 'typical' wedding things because the episode simply is not about the wedding of John and Mary.

June 2, 2014 8:59 pm  #15

And it's also no proposal, even not yet when they discuss the wedding date. As if it was something still pending.

June 2, 2014 10:11 pm  #16

Harriet wrote:

And it's also no proposal, even not yet when they discuss the wedding date. As if it was something still pending.

Mary is wearing a ring on her engagement finger in the scene where John is about to shave off his moustache.

Then at the gathering at the end, Mary says, looking at her ring, "Well, once we actually got engaged. We were interrupted the last time."

Last edited by maryagrawatson (June 2, 2014 10:13 pm)

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 3, 2014 6:26 am  #17

But this does not look like the diamond ring we see in the restaurant. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2014 9:13 am  #18

Ring on her finger or not, they didn't show us what you would normally see in terms of a wedding in a tv show. And don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they didn't do this the conventional way, I really am. And the stuff they did show - like the preparations in 221B - were very nice and enjoyable and funny. 
But in my headcanon there is a reason why they didn't give us a conventional wedding with a couple that is over the moon and everything. All the things that should happen between Mary and John do happen between Sherlock and John.

June 3, 2014 10:22 am  #19

maryagrawatson wrote:

Then at the gathering at the end, Mary says, looking at her ring, "Well, once we actually got engaged. We were interrupted the last time."

So Mary says: We are not yet engaged, but intending to get ("once we...", -> future). We were interrupted the last time and didn't have another occasion yet.
Otherwise she would have said "now that we actually got engaged..."

Last edited by Harriet (June 3, 2014 10:38 am)

June 3, 2014 10:25 am  #20

Board footera